figure 8 sights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: figure 8 sights

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

figure 8 sights

Ok,

So my PT745 showed up, SA/DA but with the figure 8 sights- I have never used these- will give them a whirl this weekend, but if they do not turn out well, what is the best source for regular 3 dot sights for them if I am forced to replace them.

Thanks!

Chris

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    You could order a 2 dot rear sight from Taurus, or go with the Williams fire sights. I have them on my PT-145 as do a lot of people on the forum. They work great for me.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I just ordered some william firesights for my 640 today and cant wait! Brownells has them the cheapest

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    Here's the thing about the heinie straight eights - they're setup so the strike of the round hits inside the dot, rather than on top and in the center of the front sight blade. I put Williams Fire Sights on it, but they're the same height as the stockers so it doesn't cure the poa/poi thing. I think they have an adjustable rear now, so it may not be an issue anymore. The other thing I don't like about the firesights is that they're made out of aluminum. HiViz sells steel sights, and the front sight is .030" lower than the stocker so it fixes the poi problem. I didn't particularly care for the length of the front sight though, and it's a bit dim compared to the Williams. It's overmolded in polymer though, so it's a much tougher sight. I finally got rid of the HiViz front in favor of a Wilson Combat tritium inserted front with a height of .170". The Wilson is made for the rounded slide of a 1911, so when you put it on a flat top slide there's a .020" gap under the sight which puts the overall height at .190" - same as the HiViz front. If I had it to do over again I would have left the stock rear sight in place, and just replaced the front with the Wilson.

I thought the fiber optic sights were great until two things happened. The first was when I shot one of the light tubes out on the range. It wasn't a big deal to fix, and Williams sent me new tubes for free - but still. The second thing (and this was the deal killer) was when I was standing out in my backyard about 2:00 a.m. letting the dogs do their thing one very dark and foggy night. Through the fog, and no more than a hundred yards away I heard seven gunshots. Too close for comfort, so I did a quick weapons check and found I couldn't see the fiber optic sights at all. Tritium doesn't have that problem, and even just putting tritium up front is sufficient. When I'm practicing for defensive shooting I only look at the front sight anyway, so the rear wasn't a requirement for me. My $.02
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Or you can get those stick on nightsight dots if you end up prefering the heine. And yes the williams rear is now adjustable with a dial. I may take your advice on the front tritium too if i have an issue on the front.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    The 8's work fine for me! It's just different than what is normal. IMHO
    NRA Current 5 year membership

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    Or you can get those stick on nightsight dots if you end up prefering the heine.
    Those are fluorescent, which means they have to be charged with a light source and immediately begin to go dim. Like the dial of a watch. Since pistols generally live in the dark, they're probably going to be pretty much discharged in the event they're needed. Tritium is radioactive, and will glow for about twelve years. Then you have to change out your sight.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8374 times
    Straight eight sights are designed as combat sights and once you get used to them they are much faster. Many people just don't give them a chance. The front sight is easy to pick up and during rapid fire they are fast to acquire. They are not target sights but will get he job done in combat. I shoot both and after practice I can go from one to another with no problem. Good luck.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    5866 times
    Straight 8's are similar to using the 3-dots on my 945, put the front dot where you want to hit it. God knows i would jump for joy if my RIA had them instead of those GI "sights", but i'll just have to deal with those until i come across a set that i like.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Can you post a picture of the Wilson Combat front night site on your Taurus...that sounds like a good option...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links