PT111 Pro recoil spring problem...Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT111 Pro recoil spring problem...Help!

A couple weeks ago I picked up a new PT-111 Millennium Pro. Love the way the gun feels in my hand, and WAS liking how it shot. So far, the recoil spring has popped out the front of the slide TWICE in the three times I have taken it to the range. I have put exactly 246 rounds through it so far. The first time it happened, I was using cheap Winchester White Box 115 grain JHP ammo. I had shot 100 round nose WWB 115 grain with no problems prior to loading the JHP. I took the gun home and managed to work the spring out. I figured I would give it another chance and see how it went next time. Second time I took it to the range I shot 50 rounds of round nose WWB with no problems. Tonight I was almost through my box of 100 WWB round nose when the recoil spring popped out the front again! I have linked a couple of pictures to better explain the problem. I am somewhat of a newbie to shooting, but more experienced folks I've talked with have never heard of this happening. I figure the darn thing will have to go back for warranty work, so I'm pretty disappointed now. Hopefully someone wiser than me can offer some advice!

Here is a picture from the side:

Here is a picture showing the end of the slide:

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: PT111 Pro recoil spring problem...Help!

That's BS, either the spring is wrong size or the hole it goes in. You're going to have to have to send it in, unless they will just send you a new spring, assuming that's the problem.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

While on the subject of recoil springs, is it normal for the spring to not be compressed at all when putting the gun back together? Mine just drops into the slot on the inderside of the barrel. I don't have to compress it at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21029 times

Any chance you've got the Recoil Spring Assembly in backwards?

If not, just send it back to Taurus Customer Service and let them sort it out!
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times

It looks to be in the correct way.

It should fit snuggly in place, but you shouldn't have to compress it to get it in place.

I agree with something being the wrong size, which is anybody's guess really without knowing the exact measurements and having the tools to measure it.

Looks like a trip to Miami is in order.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the "compression" info Flyer. Are you the same Flyer from the Kel-Tec forum?

TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times

You are certainly welcome!

No. I do use this same name on several boards I frequent, but that isn't one of them.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Either you have the wrong size of recoil spring assembly or the hole for the recoil spring guide rod might be a little bit bigger than the spring. Did you do a field strip before this happened? If so, you did not happen to insert the recoil spring form the outside of the slide going in by mistake did you? I would take it to a gunsmith have 'em take a look at it before sending it back to Taurus. If the recoil spring is the wrong size get a hold of Taurus, they might just send you the right one without sending the whole gun back to them. If the hole for the recoil spring is too big, you would definitely have to send it back to Taurus.

When my rear sights came apart on my Taurus M94 22 lr 9 shot revolver, I called them up and they sent me a new rear sight assembly (Target sight) with out sending the gun back to them.
    http://signatures.myarmedforces.com/..._signature.png

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE! Don't ever take it forgranted!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by exprt9
    Did you do a field strip before this happened? If so, you did not happen to insert the recoil spring form the outside of the slide going in by mistake did you?
    I don't think I understand the question. When I first got the gun I took it apart and cleaned it. I put the recoil spring back in after cleaning, but I didn't push it through the end of the slide. I simply put it back in from the bottom. It didn't require much, if any, compression. Just fit in snugly.

Member #
    Liked
    102 times

Send it back... if the hole is oversize, another spring is going to do the same thing. However, I suspect that the metal collar behind the button may have been forced through the opening and will continue to be a culprit until replaced. I don't know if all the spring assemblies use the same front diameter, but I'd guess it to be more a matter of metal fatigue rather than quality control. Regardless... let them fix it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links