• 6 Post By Buddyd157
  • 1 Post By Czechbikr

Thread: G3 - Need to Polish Feed Ramp

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    55 times

G3 - Need to Polish Feed Ramp

After finally digging in to my occasional FTF on a new G3, it appears that the feed ramp is rough. In fact, the very end corners of the ramp are almost sharp enough to cut skin. There was also a large amount of carbon after only 80 rounds. Blazer Brass is not typically filthy. I'm going to break out the dremel, felt cones, and some Flitz to see if I can smooth some of the sharp points. Any advice?
    777Driver likes this.
    Lee
    Taurus PT111 G2
    S&W M&P 22C
    AR-15 5.56 Custom build
    Taurus G3
    Panzer Arms AR-12 Shotgun

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46787 times
    I wonder if the corners of the feed ramp actually come into contact with the bullet being fed into the chamber. Was there indication of abrasion there? I usually polish feed ramps but do so sparingly as it is one of those things where too much can be as bad as too little. My Sig P320 in 45 ACP came to me as a reconditioned Red Box gun from the factory. The ramp is coated with a rough oxide type finish yet feeds ammo just fine. Owners have cautioned against polishing them as they are sent out just the way Sig likes them.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    2815 times
    Before you do any polishing, use a dry, Teflon type lubricant to see if the situation improves. If you must polish, use your finger, a soft cloth, and jeweler's rouge. Metal removed cannot be replaced.
    Czechbikr, Teamfour and bde269 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
    After finally digging in to my occasional FTF on a new G3, it appears that the feed ramp is rough. In fact, the very end corners of the ramp are almost sharp enough to cut skin. There was also a large amount of carbon after only 80 rounds. Blazer Brass is not typically filthy. I'm going to break out the dremel, felt cones, and some Flitz to see if I can smooth some of the sharp points. Any advice?
    today, in fact in a little while, i will be heading for my range, with my new G3c for it's maiden break-in.

i will be taking 50 rds of Blazer and 50 rds of Remington..

when i get back, i will report what happened.

maybe here, or in another thread. but i will try to post here, if i can find this therad, when i get back
    Czechbikr and bde269 like this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
    ok, now my range report.

50 rds of 115 gr Remington range ammo, and 50 rds of Blazer 124 gr ammo. both were FMJ

Not ONE jam, failure to fire, nor stove pipe. Not ONE failure to eject.

i had 2 RSO's look at this G3c, as each one had experience (and ownership) of previous models. BOTH LOVE this new updated G3c. the trigger is super good, to them. the shooting is spot on.

what we have found is that we need to get a good grip on the trigger, (cover completely with the finger) as many shots by me and the RSO's had found that, you're gonna shoot to the left.

once a better hold/grip on the trigger? bullseye every time.

it is a bit snappy, which is to be expected for a compact, over my collection of full sized guns.

the feed ramp on mine, was as smooth as a baby's butt.

when i got home, i field stripped it, the usual amount of carbon was there, and cleaned up with Hoppe's and i lubed it (as all my guns now) with Weapons Shield.

so that's about it, i might post pics of my targets, but they are not really grouped well, so i attribute that to not gripping the trigger properly.

funny too, as the RSO said, "each gun, we have to learn which way to grip that trigger, as each fires differently with different grips on the triggers"

that couldn't be any more truer today.

i like this gun, glad that for $300 (including sales tax), that i bought it.
    Teamfour, jwc007, Alfonse and 3 others like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46787 times
    ^^ Great report, Thanks!
    Buddyd157 likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Sponsored Links