High round count G2Cs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: High round count G2Cs

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

High round count G2Cs

Anyone have big round counts through a G2C? Let's say 3,000 rounds or more. How do these guns hold up to a lot of use?

Member #
    Liked
    3945 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Anyone have big round counts through a G2C? Let's say 3,000 rounds or more. How do these guns hold up to a lot of use?
    I've got three G2 guns that all have more than 3k rounds through them. The only wear-related issue I ran into with two of the guns were weakening recoil spring-sets that began to allow the rear of the slide muzzle opening to strike the front edge of the chamber. That resulted in peening both at the rear of the slide muzzle opening and the leading edges of the chamber. That happened at about the 1500-round point. The peening of the muzzle opening caused the barrel to hang when field stripping for cleaning.

The resolution was to put in a Lakeline stainless recoil spring set.

Here is my report on the issue with pictures.

I've had no other problems after that.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    3367 times
    I've a PT111-G2 that is well over 10,000 rounds. It still works fine, but is definitely a rust magnet. A lot of the black oxide is worn through. I have to keep after it in the summer with oil.

Maloy

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor

Member #
    Liked
    951 times
    We still one high round count PT111 G2, it was at 8000 rounds years ago and we've used it for lots of testing after that. We've got several thousand rounds through a G3 and may have close to that through a G3C too. None have any wear related issues. I say that, and then remember the trigger bar spring in the PT111 G2 is quite a bit weaker than originally. Whether that is from us tearing it apart so many times, or from use I can't tell you. But, the trigger is pretty light on that one now.

https://lakelinellc.com/

Parts and Accessories for Pistols

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Does Taurus call for a spring replacement schedule?

Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Does Taurus call for a spring replacement schedule?
    I bought LakeLine Recoil spring back when i bought my G2 and use it only when i go to the range. When i'm done cleaning the G2, in goes the factory recoil spring.
    PT111 G2
    24/7 G2 ACP .45

Member #
    Liked
    556 times
    Well just a rule of thumb some where in my youth some one taught me spring replacement at 10,000 every manuf. is different some longer some shorter some have different springs at different times. The one educating me said 10,000 good as it gets for all springs Knowing recently replaced put his mind at ease, IF IF it is ever needed for defense the weapon is rock solid with spring change and inspection at 10,000 rounds. Every one is different, no two Smiths will ever agree most run if it aint broke do not fix it. My wife, kids and I ride on knowledge I ride easier knowing my guns have had Great Maintenance and springs are solid. to each his own
    Taurus is as any other if I maintain Taurus My Taurus will take care of me

Member #
    Liked
    3945 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Well just a rule of thumb some where in my youth some one taught me spring replacement at 10,000 every manuf. is different some longer some shorter some have different springs at different times. The one educating me said 10,000 good as it gets for all springs Knowing recently replaced put his mind at ease, IF IF it is ever needed for defense the weapon is rock solid with spring change and inspection at 10,000 rounds. Every one is different, no two Smiths will ever agree most run if it aint broke do not fix it. My wife, kids and I ride on knowledge I ride easier knowing my guns have had Great Maintenance and springs are solid. to each his own
    After a tour in the Philippines, the springs in my car needed replacement. It doesn't surprise me or dismay me that I'd have to replace the springs in my guns.

I do think 1,500 rounds was too short in the case of my Taurus G2 pistols, but the replacement was cheap, easy, and looks cool.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    But Taurus isn't publishing any such schedule? So it's just up to the owner to decide when to replace (or not bother.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    I have a different view of shooting a lot of rounds through my CCW weapons.

I can see firing a few hundred rounds to make sure your gun is reliable and accurate but some day I may need it for protection at a critical moment and don’t need a spring failure or some other part being worn out from trying to prove how many rounds I can run through it.

At least, buy a duplicate so you can keep one close to new and another for a round count trophy.

I have seven .22 handguns for shooting practice to develop control and accuracy but are not critical to saving my life. A .22 is quiet, inexpensive to shoot and little recoil so you don’t develop a flinch. A good .22 can handle many thousands or rounds and I love shooting them as they are easy on my 80 year old wrists.

If I have to pull my 9mm or .40 I have no problem shooting it but don’t want to make it a regular thing.
    Last edited by Danwin22; 07-13-2020 at 03:04 PM.
    Ralph_Kirk likes this.
    USAF 1958-'62
    NRA Member, CCW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links