New G3 Closes Slide Automatically on New Magazine Insert?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By lbv361
  • 1 Post By Czechbikr
  • 1 Post By CaptainMorgan
  • 1 Post By silverstring
  • 2 Post By bobbojama

Thread: New G3 Closes Slide Automatically on New Magazine Insert?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

New G3 Closes Slide Automatically on New Magazine Insert?

Searched and did not find an answer so apologize if it has been answered.

As the title suggests, the new G3 I picked up last Friday will close an open slide automatically when a new magazine is inserted and a tap to the bottom of the magazine is done.

I've done this with every other auto I have fired to just make sure the magazine is seated well and this is the first gun to close the slide that was held open on the last round of the previous magazine.

It took me a bit off guard so I tried it several times and replicated it each time. A light tap does not seem to do it but a good tap does every time.

So is this normal or something to be concerned about? It obviously immediately closes the slide and puts one in the chamber...so you have to be awake and aware of it.
    Sig Legion 226 SAO/Sig P938 (Mine)
    Taurus G3 (Drawer Gun)
    S&W 640 Pro (Wife's)
    NRA Lifer

Member #
    Liked
    3633 times
    Could be a mag issue. Check to see if the cut in the mag is engaging the slide release. Is the nose profile of the bullet hitting the stop?
    Look at the place where the stop engages the slide. Is the lever getting good contact in the slide notch.

We could just call it a "feature"
    Live what you say you believe.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Mine has done this a couple of times. I have roughly 600 rounds through it. I've noticed that slamming in the mag will cause it to auto feed. As for mine it's not necessary to slam the mag. The mag goes in just fine and functions just pushing it in. However if I needed to chamber a round quickly, I'm slamming it.
    Timeless likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45473 times
    Sounds great for competition (if one fails to count rounds fired...like me)
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    5727 times
    Many guns will do this, my Taurus require extraordinary effort to do so. It is not indicative of a problem. Some like it, never really cared as I instinctively hit the slide release.
    Timeless likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12369 times
    If you train with that in mind, you will find it is actually a helpful feature. I know it is unsettling at first.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    4470 times
    My PT92 and 1911 will cycle the slide if I slap the mag home while inserting. If if push them home gently, the slide does not cycle. I like it cause if I'm in a hurry it's one less step.
    CaptainMorgan and Timeless like this.
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    2 of my 4 G3 magazines do not lock the slide back when the it's empty.

Member #
    Liked
    381 times
    On the G3 mags, check the level of the follower. I had one tilted to the right and it would not lock the slide back so I bent the top coil of the mag spring to the left and it started working fine.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    As stated above it is actually often considered a beneficial feature, especially, however, if you want change it read my post about the slide release spring here:

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/m...lide-back.html

Basically you are in the same boat, but your slide release spring is barely too tight, so even a tiny amount of upward tweaking should return you to normal.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links