COVID-19 PT145 Pro Revival
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: COVID-19 PT145 Pro Revival

Member #
    Liked
    44 times

COVID-19 PT145 Millennium Pro Revival

I bought a PT145 Millenium Pro waaaayyyyyy back before and the kerfuffle about the ability to force them into an unsafe condition buy doing something that there's no reason any intelligent person would ever do. (But I won't digress down that rabbit hole here.) Anyway, it's always been a great gun! Accurate, reliable, comfortable to shoot, good looking (I know that's subjective) and a great combo of caliber/capacity/size. I felt to compulsion to give it back to Taurus during the recall, so I kept it. It was my EDC for quite a while, but for the past few years my Khar CM9 has taken over, simply because it's so easy to conceal in the Central Texas heat.

So fast forward to the current pandemic and a lot of people are strapped for cash and selling off guns for a quick buck. I've been fortunate enough to keep working (hell, I've been gotten less time off than before the "shut down") and I was thinking about picking up a new gun for HD duty. Maybe a full-size, mega-capacity 9mm. This has an attraction to me as I've never owned a service sized handgun. Everything I have is carry sized and has the limited capacity that accompanies a thin pistol with an abbreviated grip. Plus I could use it as a sidearm when taking tactical shotgun or carbine courses.

But then I started thinking about fiscal responsibility (damn this whole 'being an adult' thing!), and the fact that you can only shoot one gun at a time (unless you're John Wick). So I opened up the ol' gun safe and took another look at my PT145. At 10+1, the round count isn't too shabby and it does throw a sizable hunk of lead with each shot. Plus, I already had 2 of the 12-round mags with spacers to them feel like part of the grip. I had read that Paraordnance mags work as well, so I ordered a 13 and 14-rounder for testing. Turns out they DO work perfectly. While I don't have the gap-filler to make them look pretty, the grip is just fine with my pinkie wrapped around the bare mag.

Now, I already had a very compact Stingray 635 laser mounted to the vestigial bit of rail under the barrel. But one thing that I feel is a must on an HD gun is a good light. You should never be shooting at something that you haven't positively identified. But the short length of the barrel and rail presented a bit of a challenge. I know it's okay for a light to extend past the muzzle, but I really hate the look of that kind of setup, plus I wanted to keep things compact enough to still use the gun as a concealed carry piece. To add to the challenge, I really still wanted a laser on it, too. So I started looking and laser/light combo units and determined that the two most compact ones were the Crimson Trace Railmaster Pro and the Viridian C5L. I ordered both (with green lasers) to see which, if either, would do the job. I found that the CT unit stuck too far forward for my liking.

The Viridian was really close to perfect. It came with several mounting pieces, and the one that was supposed to work for my gun fit right up against the trigger guard and the laser/light only extended about 1/4 inch past the muzzle. Not perfect, but pretty good. Then I took a look at the other mounting brackets and realized one of them would push the laser back right about 1/4 inch, if only the trigger guard wasn't in the way. I measured the needed room and realized that all I needed to do was take the "hook" off the trigger guard, giving it a flatter front face and a more rounded transition at the bottom. Since this gun will never be a collector piece, and I have a general lack of fear when it comes to screwing things up with DIY projects, I headed out to my belt sander and did a little bit of grinding. It didn't take much to gain the needed room and I was able to slide the laser back to where I wanted it. Success!

If you managed to read through my long-winded diatribe, here's the payoff. If you just skipped straight to the pics, that's okay, too!

Almost perfectly flush with the muzzle.

Modifying the trigger guard also made the activation buttons easier to reach.

The business end with 100 lumen LED light and green laser:

Some pics of the different mags in the handgun:
    Original 10-rounds

Taurus 12 rounds with adapter

Mec-Gar 14 rounds

My next project will be to build a couple of holsters for the new combo. At least one IWB and one paddle-type OWB. The Viridian has a pretty cool instant-on feature that will activate the light/laser as you draw if you have a magnet embedded in the right spot in the holster. I'll definitely work that feature into my holster design.

Gotta head to work now, but I'll post more thoughts on the Viridian unit and some pics of it in used later today.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Warhammer; 05-06-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32602 times
    I never understood why capacity is such a big deal. Most times I carry a revolver, usually 5 shot .357 magnum and I set it on the bedside table at night. I have a PT145 and a TH9c, but the little 605 poly is more compact, lighter, and fires my all time fave round, the .357 Magnum, so it most often goes with me. My only back up anymore is an NAA mini revolver. Used to carry my 85UL as back up and I still can, but I just don't see the need. There's no gangs in Columbus, Texas, county seat of Colorado county and a town of about 3K souls, no one there that really wants to die, which is what would happen if they took ME on, no brag, just fact. When I go to Houston, I take my TH9c with the higher cap mags, but I rarely go there. I prefer isolation in the woods.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    25911 times
    I love my PT145 too.

Which Mec Gar Paraordinance magazines are you using?
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35310 times
    I still have my PT145. Great pistols. As for capacity, there’s always room for one more. You just never know.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    25911 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I never understood why capacity is such a big deal. Most times I carry a revolver, usually 5 shot .357 magnum and I set it on the bedside table at night. I have a PT145 and a TH9c, but the little 605 poly is more compact, lighter, and fires my all time fave round, the .357 Magnum, so it most often goes with me. My only back up anymore is an NAA mini revolver. Used to carry my 85UL as back up and I still can, but I just don't see the need. There's no gangs in Columbus, Texas, county seat of Colorado county and a town of about 3K souls, no one there that really wants to die, which is what would happen if they took ME on, no brag, just fact. When I go to Houston, I take my TH9c with the higher cap mags, but I rarely go there. I prefer isolation in the woods.
    I only have two magazines for my Gen3 PT145 Mil-Pro.

From my understanding, the Pro Mag ones will not work in my Gen 3 and I cannot find any OEM ones.

So, I would love some Mec Gar ones that would work regardless of the capacity.

I just have never known which ones will work.

I love my PT145 and still carry it often.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Member #
    Liked
    34610 times
    Great post and nice setup, Warhammer! My nightstand gun has the same capacity, no light, but tritium sights and a longer sight radius. And a flashlight for the weak hand. I have a lot of respect for .357 magnum. It's one of the all time great handgun rounds. But I'll take 15 .45 ACP over five .357.
    Warhammer and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    It would be nice if Taurus released a G-Series .45. It would probably sell like hotcakes.
    Randy
    PT111 G2
    Spectrum

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    32602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    I only have two magazines for my Gen3 PT145 Mil-Pro.

From my understanding, the Pro Mag ones will not work in my Gen 3 and I cannot find any OEM ones.

So, I would love some Mec Gar ones that would work regardless of the capacity.

I just have never known which ones will work.

I love my PT145 and still carry it often.

My para ordinance mags are Mec Gar, the 14 rounders, and I think I got 'em from magazine warehouse IIRC. They work great in the gun.

I just don't like all that weight on my belt, why I carry my .357. I carry 2 speed strips for it and carry 'em in a pants pocket. I'd rather rely on skill than firepower. If I were invading Omaha beach, I'd want more firepower, preferably in an M1.
    RScottie likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    32602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by randyr5 View Post
    It would be nice if Taurus released a G-Series .45. It would probably sell like hotcakes.
    Well, if they sold a TH45c, I'd be all over it like stink on...........uh, poo.

It's a little pricey, but I still might get a Springfield Armory XDe in .45.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 05-06-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    RScottie likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    30192 times
    My PT-145 has a forever place in my family of defensive tools...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links