Should Taurus add decocking functionality the G2C and G3 - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Should Taurus add decocking functionality the G2C and G3

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by steamburn View Post
    Thank you DA. I'm convinced now and will get the TH9c.
    Sold today my 709 and the G2C.
    Would you mind explaining better the upgrade of the TH9c using the Beretta 92 hammer spring.
    By the time I tried to buy the TH9c, the stampede had started and missed the opportunity.
    I’ll have to wait until they have them re-stocked (the one with the OD color).

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    May be quite a wait. I think this caught the gun companies as a surprise, like most of us, and many have slowed down production.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by steamburn View Post
    By the time I tried to buy the TH9c, the stampede had started and missed the opportunity.
    I’ll have to wait until they have them re-stocked (the one with the OD color).
    may have to online order it. That's how I got my G3 as nobody locally stocks them. The one place that got a small shipment in for a 1 week sale, end of the world happened. Truthfully you can't even find new Taurus revolvers or 92 clones new locally. if you do they are used. If a TH9 or TX22 was locally I may have already had them.
    Taurus G3
    Taurus Millennium PT111 G2
    Taurus M605B2

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34165 times
    The handguns I carry most these days are a 1911 and a double action revolver. Because of the significantly different triggers, I dry fire practice a lot, so I don't get surprised by the type of trigger I'm dealing with when I draw.

Why would I want to inflict that on myself between the first shot and the second?
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    9124 times
    I came up on DA/SA guns from way back. If it is not your cup of tea, no problem. I do like others have said and work with the trigger of the type of pistol I am going to carry. I have both the aforementioned pistols and some striker fired models including the Taurus G2C and S models.

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    From an engineering perspective it would be possible to redesign the manual safety to either be replaced by a decocker, or to add a decocker function by pushing the safety downward to decock then returning it to neutral for normal operation. You would just need a way to have the safety lever rock the rear sear down and be REALLY confidant in your striker block safety.....

From a profit standpoint it doesnt make sense to re-engineer an existing gun and retool up to make new frames, new rear sears, new safeties, and added complexity. If they add a feature like this I imagine it will be on whatever the next generation of these guns is when they redo the tooling anyway.

Also something that has not yet been mentioned here is that the DA portion of these Millennium guns is mostly as a gimmick as they come from the factory. I am not saying it can't work consistently, but the stock striker spring isnt stiff enough to provide enough force to consistently ignite primers, even Federal primers, with the shorter striker stroke of the DA action.

From my testing with converting the guns to DAO, even with Federal primers and the stock striker springs I was seeing maybe 25% of primers ignite on the first hit with the DA. I had some 10% stiffer striker springs made as a test, and while they did better, I was still only igniting around 75% of the primers that are known for being some of the easiest primers to ignite.

You can easily see this on primers themselves when you manually decock one of these guns and fire it, then examine that round compared to a round that was ignited using the SA sear. The SA sear leaves a much deeper dent in the primer, whereas the DA looks like a light strike every time.

I am guessing that you would need a striker spring around 30-40% stiffer than stock to consistently ignite the majority of commercial 9mm rounds, then you start getting into needing higher quality springs to provide more tension, or redo the striker and channel to allow larger diameter striker springs.

You would also increase the weight of the trigger pull substantially, even when in SA, if you were using striker springs that stiff.
    Last edited by KeepTinkering; 03-24-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    Adamwest436 and cactus31 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    172 times
    KeepTinkering I like your triggers , have 3 in use

You are correct about the change to DAO on G2's , I've gone up to 7lb springs and had light strikers until I removed the striker safety ( witch is NO longer needed ) and went back to the 4 1/2lb stock spring . I've had 100% fires with Federal primers , the striker rubs against the safety to slow it down .

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DA-Auto View Post
    KeepTinkering I like your triggers , have 3 in use

You are correct about the change to DAO on G2's , I've gone up to 7lb springs and had light strikers until I removed the striker safety ( witch is NO longer needed ) and went back to the 4 1/2lb stock spring . I've had 100% fires with Federal primers , the striker rubs against the safety to slow it down .
    Good to know, thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    That's an interesting technical analysis. I was just figuring since the gun does have a DA mode, why not make it more useful. I assumed it actually worked.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTinkering View Post
    From an engineering perspective it would be possible to redesign the manual safety to either be replaced by a decocker, or to add a decocker function by pushing the safety downward to decock then returning it to neutral for normal operation. You would just need a way to have the safety lever rock the rear sear down and be REALLY confidant in your striker block safety.....

From a profit standpoint it doesnt make sense to re-engineer an existing gun and retool up to make new frames, new rear sears, new safeties, and added complexity. If they add a feature like this I imagine it will be on whatever the next generation of these guns is when they redo the tooling anyway.

Also something that has not yet been mentioned here is that the DA portion of these Millennium guns is mostly as a gimmick as they come from the factory. I am not saying it can't work consistently, but the stock striker spring isnt stiff enough to provide enough force to consistently ignite primers, even Federal primers, with the shorter striker stroke of the DA action.

From my testing with converting the guns to DAO, even with Federal primers and the stock striker springs I was seeing maybe 25% of primers ignite on the first hit with the DA. I had some 10% stiffer striker springs made as a test, and while they did better, I was still only igniting around 75% of the primers that are known for being some of the easiest primers to ignite.

You can easily see this on primers themselves when you manually decock one of these guns and fire it, then examine that round compared to a round that was ignited using the SA sear. The SA sear leaves a much deeper dent in the primer, whereas the DA looks like a light strike every time.

I am guessing that you would need a striker spring around 30-40% stiffer than stock to consistently ignite the majority of commercial 9mm rounds, then you start getting into needing higher quality springs to provide more tension, or redo the striker and channel to allow larger diameter striker springs.

You would also increase the weight of the trigger pull substantially, even when in SA, if you were using striker springs that stiff.

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    That's an interesting technical analysis. I was just figuring since the gun does have a DA mode, why not make it more useful. I assumed it actually worked.
    That's what I was saying on page 1 in less technical terms. I've never had that 2nd strike work for me and the rounds were S&B. Instead of a full strike then baby strike, you are starting off with baby strikes until it goes off. I had better luck pulling the slide back just enough to keep round from ejecting and cock the full strike to go at it again. That was my deciding factor on if I wanted to get KT's 2nd strike triggers or go SAO again.
    Taurus G3
    Taurus Millennium PT111 G2
    Taurus M605B2

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links