Should Taurus add decocking functionality the G2C and G3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Should Taurus add decocking functionality the G2C and G3

Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    Buy a gun based on the specs you want, not on the price you want. That solves a lot of issues, I've found.
    slong115 and Adamwest436 like this.
    PT22, 85 Poly, 865, 605, M44.... what's next?!

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKen View Post
    I still dont see how a striker pistol is fully cocked all the time especially if it has second strike?
    Both the G2c and the 709/G2s have the equivalent to two sears in line:
    When the slide is racked all the way back manually or by reaction to a shot, the farthest sear in the back, which is fixed in the frame, catches the striker and keeps the striker there, compressed and ready to go, until the trigger is pulled. The trigger mechanism moves down the sear letting the striker go forward (SA).
    If the striker doesn’t detonate the primer, it stays in its relaxed position.
    When the trigger is pulled again, the second sear, which is way forward, moves back, catching the striker and moves it back compressing the spring. At the end of its travel, this second sear moves down releasing the striker (DA).
    There are two other pistols that I know use this same mechanism, the Walther P99 and the Canik TP V2. These last two have a button in their slides that pushes the SA sear down, fulfilling the function as a decocker.
    Adamwest436 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    With the P99 and Canik TP V2 a lot of folks worry about the pistol being decocked unintentionally.
    Shut up and reload!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1745 times
    Quote Originally Posted by steamburn View Post
    Both the G2c and the 709/G2s have the equivalent to two sears in line:
    When the slide is racked all the way back manually or by reaction to a shot, the farthest sear in the back, which is fixed in the frame, catches the striker and keeps the striker there, compressed and ready to go, until the trigger is pulled. The trigger mechanism moves down the sear letting the striker go forward (SA).
    If the striker doesn’t detonate the primer, it stays in its relaxed position.
    When the trigger is pulled again, the second sear, which is way forward, moves back, catching the striker and moves it back compressing the spring. At the end of its travel, this second sear moves down releasing the striker (DA).
    There are two other pistols that I know use this same mechanism, the Walther P99 and the Canik TP V2. These last two have a button in their slides that pushes the SA sear down, fulfilling the function as a decocker.
    Ah! Thank you, now I got it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
    With the P99 and Canik TP V2 a lot of folks worry about the pistol being decocked unintentionally.
    Unwarranted worry. It takes a lot of effort to push the decocking button.
    Besides, that is the intention for the carry of those guns, decocked.
    And of course, if decocked, you have the DA mode to start the shooting.
    Last edited by steamburn; 02-28-2020 at 08:32 AM.
    NativeTexan, brojohn and Paladin3 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKen View Post
    I still dont see how a striker pistol is fully cocked all the time especially if it has second strike?
    It has 2 sears and you have to rack to get the striker to the 2nd one for single action. The SAO triggers make the gun not be in the position to touch the double action re strike sear but still engage the single action one. You would have to talk to KT for actual angle his triggers are for the SAO ones to miss the re strike sear all together. If you ever tried to take your G2(C)(S) or G3 apart after pulling the trigger and you barely moved the slide to do the take down lever and it didn't release the slide? Yeah, that tiny movement you did to take pressure off the lock is single action mode and you now have to pull the trigger again to release the slide. That's what I was getting at when I say you could accidentally shoot yourself trying the loaded chamber when reassembling the gun route. You have to still overcome the springs in the safety plunger and the striker spring when pulling the trigger back to get that break of the trigger making it really a half cocked gun. Lighter springs and other parts are mostly how you bring that trigger weight down in most guns.
    Taurus G3
    Taurus Millennium PT111 G2
    Taurus M605B2

Member #
    Liked
    2848 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
    Like Steamburn said- not likely to happen. I have 2 of the newer Canik TP9 DA models which is the next edition after the V2- an accidental decocking is not going to happen. To me the DA is the answer to all the accidental discharge fears that many folks have about striker fired guns with light triggers. Its DA/SA. This is the gun that finally sold me on striker fired guns.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DA-Auto View Post
    As many here are correct , IMO that DA or DA/SA is the way to go

Steamburn I also have changed a G2 and 709 to DAO . If i would have bought the TH9c first I would have NOT bought the G2 and 709
    As for CC I do not carry IWB only OWB or a inside pocket on a vest or jacket and sometimes a pocket .380 . To me the G2 and the TH9c feels the same in my hands , the grips are the same side by side also as long , the TH9c is appox 3/8" longer and just a little longer beaver tail . I have yet to bench rest shooting it so I'm not carrying it yet
    To make the TH9c better Beretta 92 hammer springs cut the same as the factory spring works great ( Wolf Springs / variety pack for the 92) to your liking
    Thank you DA. I'm convinced now and will get the TH9c.
    Sold today my 709 and the G2C.
    Would you mind explaining better the upgrade of the TH9c using the Beretta 92 hammer spring.
    NativeTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    172 times
    steamburn I told you 12lb spring from Wolfs , I was wrong it cane from Langdon Tactical , but Wolfs has a spring pack of 13, 16 , 17, 18 &19 for the Beretta 92 that will work in the TH9's & TH40's that I have also used to work down to the 12lb
    Just cut to same size, heat the first two coils red hot and press against something flat to square off the spring , ( I cut mine about 2 coils shorter )

On my 2 TH's I have the 12lb and get light primer strikes on Winchester primers ( about 1 in every mag ) so I use Federal primers along with some other pistols. I got my TH9c & TH40c To a trigger pull feel less than my Sig p229 and loving it , still a little grit feel . So if you are shooting factory ammo you just might need a little heaver spring than a 12lb , just have to experiment with it . The spring is a cinch to change .

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Well I have carried for many years now and some have been striker fired with no external safety or decocker.
    As with most things it comes down to the operator/user.
    Do what you feel comfortable with.
    Shut up and reload!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links