Trigger safety - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Trigger safety

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32209 times
    I think the grip safety is very underrated. To me, that's what makes the 1911 so safe, especially carrying in condition one....even if the safety were inadvertently swiped off, the gun still wouldn't go off, if the trigger were somehow depressed, unless the grip safety were also engaged. This is what I really like about my Springfield XD Mod2. It has the 'Glock' style trigger safety, but also the grip safety. I feel very comfortable carrying that gun.
    olfarhors and Lomax like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    27432 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Totally agree. The trigger is the absolutely silliest place to put a safety in my opinion.

No one ever talked about "1911 leg," but "Glock leg" has been in the shooting vocabulary for years. There's a reason for that.
    I do believe that the 1911 grip safety was added to prevent horse soldiers from shooting their horses however??
    that's why we don't have 1911 dead horse sayings--LOL
    MadKaw and Adamwest436 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Depends on the grip safeties. For the EZ Smiths that safety barely has to be all the way in to release the gun action due the point of the guns intended users weak grip/strength. My 1911SC and Uzi grip safeties are just about a hare or 2 heavier than the EZ smiths. Only gun I have the safety on (besides 1911 or P938 style guns) is the G2 when its in my pocket. My BG380 in my pocket is DAO and that safety is too small to be usefull in a stressful situation. I've played with the safety with snap caps in while watching a show and it didn't get "better"

Before I get too far off topic, I agree training is an issue. Some guns like most revolvers with the hammer down, my 469 AVI and a few other Smiths you had enough resistance + travel to accidentally holster with your finger on the trigger and realize you are an idiot and fix it. Stock SD's and some M&Ps are heavy enough to do the same coddle the idiot act. Going back to cheap holsters using snap caps and loaded practice that draw and see if the holster is an issue. I just sent a WTP holster back because it catches on the lock when I try to reholster.
    Taurus G3
    Taurus Millennium PT111 G2
    Taurus M605B2

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Agreed, trigger discipline is on whoever is holding that gun, at that time. Inadvertently flagging someone is a no-no, but if you follow the Four Rules very well, they will overlap and protect something or someone.

I don't own any semi-autos without a safety. In fact, I only own a G2C, and the G3. Both having identical manual of arms is excellent, and as soon as I un-holster during drawing practice, the safety flips off. As soon as I lift my shirt to re-holster, the safety clicks on. I basically train myself, and others that way. As SOON as the gun clears the holster, having developed good trigger finger (finger on frame) discipline, the safety should immediately be flipped off exiting holster. As soon as you are readying to re-holster, safety on, so as to prevent that concealed carry night mare of shirt, or other garments getting where they shouldn't be.

I agree, no such thing as accidental. I've had one ND, and because I was following the rules pretty well, the round went into a wall with no adjacent rooms. It hit a corner stud and trim piece of an in wall bookcase, and stopped right there. Scariest and dumbest thing I've ever had happen, and never again. I bought snap caps for my AR-15's and 12 gauge so that if I want to function check the bolts, I generally don't do it with live ammunition. If I'm re-chambering my 9mm handguns, I point them at two cases of water in my closet I have stored there. I figure two 40 bottle cases will probably stop a 115 grain. I need to get a sand bucket.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal; It is the Courage to continue, that counts.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    As far as I can tell, the trigger safety was added to make the pt111 drop safe (along with some other changes I think, like lighter trigger and heavier pull). Like someone mentioned, the trigger can depress fully if dropped a certain way due to inertia, and this bypasses the internal safety mechanisms and fires the gun.

I was planning on replacing the trigger on my G2c with one from Keep Tinkering, but since it removes the trigger safety I'd imagine the gun is no longer drop safe (although the thumb safety stops the trigger anyways and probably makes it drop safe as well).

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jontech7 View Post
    As far as I can tell, the trigger safety was added to make the pt111 drop safe (along with some other changes I think, like lighter trigger and heavier pull). Like someone mentioned, the trigger can depress fully if dropped a certain way due to inertia, and this bypasses the internal safety mechanisms and fires the gun.

I was planning on replacing the trigger on my G2c with one from Keep Tinkering, but since it removes the trigger safety I'd imagine the gun is no longer drop safe (although the thumb safety stops the trigger anyways and probably makes it drop safe as well).
    I plan on refreshing the slide finish (2 years after saying it) so I snap cap dropped it safety on and off. The JT triggers aren't heavy and IIRC that's why he didn't release the metal one. The triggers are just a shoe and my old trigger was in pre blade snap condition. As for the G3, that trigger "functions exceptionally better and feels as flat and wide as JT" but I'm accustomed to the SAO JT trigger more on my G2. Once they are confirmed to be the same and not be like Gen 3 and gen 5 Glock trigger different I'll do that one too.

I was gonna do a multi quite but I fail at those.

As for safeties, I thumb off all safties on draw even if they don't exist like my G17 and SD9. Hammer guns besides 1911 style the safety is always off.
    Taurus G3
    Taurus M605B2

Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Eh not really a "SAFETY" as I would call a safety more of a drop safe feature should you ever decide to play basketball with your firearm one can not sue for being an idiot has really nothing to do with "SAFETY" other than "DROP SAFE" Now you can drop that puppy off the empire state building with a round in the chamber and it still wont fire...Glocktards REALLLLLYYYY
    Taurus is as any other if I maintain Taurus My Taurus will take care of me

Member #
    Liked
    27432 times
    Same with the Firing Pin Block on the 1911 that became so popular--designed to prevent the 1911 from firing IF dropped on the muzzle.
    different safeties and number of them come and go depending on assumed liability.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Drop safeties aren't just for those careless idiots who drop loaded guns at the blink of an eye. It's also for us in 5/6 months of flash winter weather who fall hard from lack of traction at the blink of an eye. I went to work in soft shell jacket & sneakers 2 days ago and it was super dry out. I came out to the aftermath of an ice storm then a regular snow storm. I didn't fall that day luckily but I have in the past. It seems like every time I fall, it's 100% directly onto my gun(s). End of the day train for whatever gun you have and whatever gun you come in contact with in the future.
    Czechbikr and olfarhors like this.
    Taurus G3
    Taurus M605B2

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh View Post
    I own no striker fed slide gun with out a safety.
    Neither me too.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links