G3 Question/Issue-Have Searched
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: G3 Question/Issue-Have Searched

Member #
    Liked
    200 times

G3 Question/Issue-Have Searched

So just ran my G3 over the last weekend, and it ran perfectly.

However, upon cleaning, I noticed that the central support, or front slide rail metal component on the polymer lower receiver, lifted up a bit at the rear of it, when I gently lifted my slide stop to clean. It is part 4.02 in screenshotted parts diagram from G3 manual.

Not overly concerned, and I'm calling Taurus today to ask them. I do know my way around firearms and smithing, but never have seen this before.

Anyone else noticed this? I can grab the feed ramp portion and gently lift it up a couple millimeters. I just want to know if this is an intentionally loose tolerance part or what not.

My G2C does not have any looseness or play in this part. Nothing in the G3 appears broken, and I'm not saying that is the case. I will call Taurus to confirm the gun is ok or if it requires a trip back... Which I should hope they'll pay for.

If other G3 owners could maybe take their slide off and look at this component, and see if the rear of it lifts a bit. It is only pinned in the front portion of the central support, to the polymer frame, so to me this seems normal.

Thanks guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal; It is the Courage to continue, that counts.

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Update: Called Taurus, and wasn't on hold more than 20 minutes or so, which isn't bad.

He did look through, placing me on hold, and was unable to find anything regarding this issue. They seemed about as concerned as I am, which isn't much at all. He said since it's running fine, it's not really an issue at this time, which I was in agreement with. If it starts to become problematic, call us back and ship it in.

Still, any G3 owners, please chime in, if you could.
    777Driver likes this.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal; It is the Courage to continue, that counts.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Pilatus Turbo - Just checked mine, as I was about to clean it up after a range session, and there is no movement in this part on mine.
    PilatusTurbo likes this.
    Gsx4

...and the judge asked "When the man stole your purse, why did you shoot him six times?" The woman replied, "Because when I pulled the trigger the seventh time the gun just went click." My kind of woman.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6715 times
    Taurus need to improve it's CS. that is still a problem area.
    PilatusTurbo and Adamwest436 like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3146 times
    That same component in my PT111 G2 does have some lift. It had it at least 4,000 rounds ago and hasn't gotten worse. Since the rail doesn't have any real wear on it, and it's not a target pistol, it is good enough on accuracy, I'm not going to mess with it.

There is over 9,000 rounds through it, heck by this time it could be over 10,000 and still extremely reliable.

Maloy
    PilatusTurbo and GhostHorse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Thanks, guys. From a basic physics standpoint, it can't really go anywhere when the slide is on the gun. I wasn't too shocked by Taurus' lack of knowledge/interest on it; I have gotten that from several other big boy gun companies and their tech support phone lines. I knew I wasn't going to get to ask one of the engineers who designed the weapon, which is what I would've liked.

That's kind of what I figure, Maloy; rail wear is something I'm watching and it seems minimal, even though it's only 400 rounds. I'm just gonna run the wizz out of it, and keep my eye on it, but not stress it. Love the gun too much to worry about it, and I love it because it's a very reliable line of pistols.

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Update: Just took it out, and ran just over 100 rounds. She ran absolutely fine; slow fire, fast fire, reloading quickly. All 115 grain FMJ rounds tonight. No issues of any kind. I'm going to take it down and have a look at internals here tonight. If I don't report anything back, it's because it's all good internally and nothing to report.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    My original PT111 G2 that I used to design my triggers started getting loose there, but only after disassembling and reassembling it several hundred times. I never noticed any issues with it, but I didnt like it.

I very carefully measured and drilled a 2.5mm hole in the frame that lined up precisely with the trigger pivot pin hole, then replaced the trigger pivot pin with a 2.5mm x 25mm pin that went through the frame, and now it is dead solid. I keep my original pin for assembly, but the last step is to insert the 4th frame pin.Name:  inCollage_20200116_185254159.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.97 MB
    Adamwest436 and PilatusTurbo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTinkering View Post
    My original PT111 G2 that I used to design my triggers started getting loose there, but only after disassembling and reassembling it several hundred times. I never noticed any issues with it, but I didnt like it.

I very carefully measured and drilled a 2.5mm hole in the frame that lined up precisely with the trigger pivot pin hole, then replaced the trigger pivot pin with a 2.5mm x 25mm pin that went through the frame, and now it is dead solid. I keep my original pin for assembly, but the last step is to insert the 4th frame pin.Name:  inCollage_20200116_185254159.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.97 MB
    Sounds like sccy when you tell them their pins repeadly walked and they send you the oversized pins it should have came with the 1st time. My g3 is fine but I haven't taken it apart yet. LOL hopefully I didn't make this post and put it out there into the atmosphere to happen to me as well.
    PilatusTurbo likes this.
    Taurus G3
    Taurus Millennium PT111 G2
    Taurus M605B2

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    I'm not bad mechanically, and do all my own smithing, but I don't have the technical know how to do that, KeepTinkering. Or the huevos either LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links