Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: PT11G2-G2C-G3 Cool Information You Won’t Get Elsewhere

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

PT11G2-G2C-G3 Cool Information You Won’t Get Elsewhere

PT11G2-G2C-G3 Cool Information You Won’t Get Elsewhere

I have owned, and still own a Millennium G2, G2C, and now a G3. I am one happy camper. I purchased the G3 based on my outstanding experience with the previous two. I must confess however that my original purchase of the Millennium G2 was because I wanted something that was inexpensive, small, and held a decent number of rounds. One that I could abuse a bit and would not be all that upset if it was lost/stolen or turned out to be a lemon — and that would qualify as a BUG (Back Up Gun) under the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) rules at the time. The rules have sensed changed, but a modification I made to the G2 will still allow me to compete with it in the BUG division. Quick Explanation — they shorted the height requirement for BUG, but by shaving off a portion of the magazine bottom plate, I could get it to fit in the new box — up yours IDPA. I know it would perhaps have been smarter to go to a 380 (which is legal in BUG Division), but I have not found that much difference in recoil — plus 380 store bought ammo is as expensive as 45 ACP now days. I actually won my division at a major match with this pistol.

Anyway, I had fantastic luck with the original Millennium G2 that I purchased. I have probably put 3K-5K rounds through it with nary a malfunction of any kind. The trigger was a little heavy at first, but after a polish job in all the right places and consuming about 500 rounds it got really nice and crisp. It is still a little heavy, but because of the crisp break the poundage goes unnoticed. Additionally and at first surprisingly, the G2 and G2C are both bugger-bear accurate if I do my part — and the grip texture in my opinion is in exactly the right places with the right amount of roughness.

Based on my satisfaction of the Millennium G2, I snapped up another one (G2C) at Academy when they went on sale for $179. I liked them so much that several months back I wrote to Taurus to suggest a few improvements of sorts like “PLEASE MAKE A FULL SIZE ONE”, give me a wider trigger shoe, and get rid of the required import thumb rest as it gets in the way of the magazine release button (for me anyway) and is no longer required since the G2C was being built stateside. I receive a nice reply indicating that they would give it some thought (very funny). Less than a week later I pick up a gun rag with the G3 on the cover. Apparently they had already received this suggestion either internally or externally long before my letter. They still have the thumb rest, which I can work around or grind off and it is my understanding that many folks like them. I very much like the longer barrel on the G3, but noticed that the grip really isn’t all that much longer than the factory G2C grip with its pinky ledge up front. It seems Taurus took advantage of the extra depth provided by the hollowed out pinky ledge, and then added a bit more to increase magazine capacity by three rounds (Bravo!).

The G3 did not come with the fully adjustable rear sights like the G2 and G2C have, but the rear slot seems to be the same size so I suppose I could order and extra G2C rear sight and put it on the G3 — if the elevation is way off. The G3 rear still maintains windage adjustment capability.

After taking my G3 to the range and running it through its paces I was not disappointed and in fact was so enamored that I wrote a rather lengthy post in the Texas CHL Forum titled “The Real Glock Killer May Have Been Found”. The link is here if you are interested. https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=97838

The G3 does print a little high from point of aim, but I will let the pistol break in and settle before making a decision to change out the rear sight — or purchase slightly taller fiber optic front sight.

The only modification I made was to round off the square lower rear part of the grip which my hand does not need for purchase, but does increase the chance of printing under by shirt. It now doesn’t print any more than the smaller G2C does.

Now for the cool part! There are a number of things that can been done with the G2, G2C and G3 that you may not be aware of and I am fairly certain that even Taurus is unaware of one of these. Since I own both the G2C and now the G3, I was able to do a little experimenting. I had already done a little experimenting with the G2C based on a post I saw in some forum quite a while back.

I can put the G3 slide on the G2C frame and have a G2C size grip with a longer barrel — and no, there is no gap between the slide’s dust cover and the smaller G2C frame. Taurus may have done this on purpose. However, there is a small hole in the dust cover to provide access to the front sight screw in the same manner Glock accomplished this with the G48 pistol. You can also put the G2C slide on the longer G3 frame and have a higher capacity G2C with the extra frame length up front acting as a standoff device. I don’t think Taurus intended this and I would probably never carry it that way, but there it is. Before you ask, yes they both fired and cycled without issue in these bastard configurations when tested with 25 rounds each. The G3 magazines also work in the G2C, so if you carry a G2C you can keep 15-round G3 magazines as spares.

The last trick is that you can actually convert a G2C or G3 to a double action only (DAO) pistol.

This Taurus G3, as well and the G2C, have what Taurus refers to as second strike capability, meaning that if the round does not go off, a second pull of the trigger gives you a second try at it via the same kind of operation a Glock uses. There is a paddle that is below the striker foot when the first single action attempt is made, but then rises up on the long second try stroke. It grabs the striker foot, moves it to near full spring compression and then releases it. It is a rather smooth and easy long stroke.

Keep in mind that this second long pull of the trigger only takes the striker spring compression to about 90% of what it was with the first single action type trigger release. This still works because the primer should already have a pretty good dent in it from the first hit. This double strike feature is not something that I would be prone to use due to many years of training and shooting. For me, a failure to fire would likely result in a Roll, Tap and Rack even before I realized I was doing it. However, for someone that has been shooting double action revolvers for most of their life, this second strike maneuver might come more naturally.

What this second strike capability does, however, is offer an opportunity to turn the G3 or the G2C in a light Double Action Only (DOA) semi-automatic. All one has to do is disassemble, remove the single action sear, and install a slightly stronger striker spring. Since the striker springs are the same diameter as a Glock striker spring, the factory Glock spring, which appears to be slightly stronger, seems to work. If you need something even stronger then I am sure Wolff Springs could supply you with one.

I have actually tried this on the G2C and had no misfires with three to four boxes of CCI Blazer, Monarch or Wolf ammunition. It is like having a slim 13 shot revolver with a light smooth trigger pull. The manual thumb safety still works in this configuration as does the drop safety and trigger safety. This might be an option for someone who has not been trained or practiced enough to keep their finger out of the trigger guard until a decision to shoot is made — meaning less chance of a negligent discharge helped along by a short single action trigger stroke.

Taurus is apparently unaware that the pistol can be converted to operate this way.

I would not have thought about this until I read a post on some forum by a person who wanted to find some way to have the G2 carried in the long stroke double action mode and then have it convert to single action after the first shot. It was for safer carrying according to the poster and I believe he also wanted to leave the manual safety disengaged. I could see his point, but did not agree with it — I thought the pistol perfectly safe, as is, as long as you carried it in a holster. His solution, believe it or not, was to remove the slide, insert a cartridge into the chamber, and then very carefully put the slide back on without setting the striker back to its single action position where it would be after normally chambering the first round. That procedure in itself seemed a little unsafe to me, but that is what he wanted.

If Taurus wanted to, I believe they could install a small switch or pin that a person could use to move the single action sear out of the way, converting the pistol to DAO, but they would still need a little stronger striker spring — or a weaker striker rebound spring.

As stated in my post on Texas CHL Forum, I may very well sell all of my Glocks except a G17 that I use in GSSF events where I am only allowed to shoot a stock Glock product.
    Last edited by Original Tex; 12-09-2019 at 03:22 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    20120 times
    Welcome to the TA Family. I appreciate and enjoyed your first post! Keep'em coming.

Member #
    Liked
    7103 times
    Welcome from South Texas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46058 times
    Welcome from Northern Illinois!
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    1529 times
    Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
    Excellent write up!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4179 times
    Nice rundown, but I saw something in your post I've never heard before. The G2C is built in America? That's news to me!

Member #
    Liked
    2461 times
    Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Member #
    Liked
    556 times
    Welcome info provided was good, Not relatively known....The first gens can be converted to S/A it is Not suggested but can be done Good luck hope you enjoy Taurus has always had my side and Back great economical functional firearms
    Taurus is as any other if I maintain Taurus My Taurus will take care of me

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    Welcome from northeastern Pennsylvania!

Interesting reading material there. I very much enjoy my G2 - actually, in all honesty, my G2 was the first handgun that I purchased for myself.
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    407 times
    Welcome from Cleveland, OH!
    Steve G.

U.S. Air Force Veteran
    Henry Golden Boy (.22lr)
    Taurus Spectrum (.380)
    Taurus PT-111 Millennium G2 (9mm)
    CZ P-07 (.40 S&W)
    Smith & Wesson 4006 TSW (.40 S&W)
    Rock Island Armory 1911A1 (10mm)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links