• 2 Post By dwcopple
  • 1 Post By 777Driver

Thread: Taurus G3 tabletop review

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11163 times

Taurus G3 tabletop review

My favorite LGS received 5 G3's Tuesday so I asked him to put one back for me. Glad I did, because the other 4 are sold or holding for a buyer. This pistol is getting a lot of press so I thought its time for a bench review to get some good data out there for folks.
    Name:  P1030580b.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  697.7 KB
    This is how it comes from the factory, my model included 1-15 round magazine and 1-17 round mag. I can load both mags up to maximum without using a loader. Also get the manual, a lock, and a warranty activation card.
    Name:  P1030583b.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  742.3 KB
    It breaks down like a Glock, the internals look pretty good. The slide is beefier than other Taurus 9mm sliders I have owned. I believe Taurus put several rounds through it, as I am seeing tell tale wear on the barrel shroud and slide contact points, more than usual. So I am assuming there was extended testing before shipping.
    Name:  P1030585b.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  833.2 KB
    Spec's:
    4" stainless steel barrel, 7.28" length, 5.2" high, and 1.26" wide. Weight with an empty magazine is 24.8 oz's. The slide is finished in Tennifer and provides a somewhat rough texture on the outside of the slide. It has a 3 slot 1913 Picatinny rail, large enough for most accessories. The grip is quite a departure from Taurus, even from the G2C. It is both grippy, and muted. Shouldn't rub against bare skin bad at all, but still enough to lock your grip in place. The guide rod is steel and holds a dual nested recoil spring asm. Also the magazines are made by Mec-Gar. The magazine release button is easy to reach without breaking your grip. The mags fall out easily, but they don't shoot out like some higher end pistols. The rear site is the 2 dot design and is drift adjustable (mounting screw to loosen), the front site is a single dot and is mounted to the slide with a screw, so it should be easy to upgrade.
    Name:  P1030586b.jpg
Size:  719.6 KB
    Ok lets cover another interesting feature of the G3. The trigger. As you can see the trigger is wide with a well thought out safety blade. Out of the box I am measuring 1/2" smooth take up, to a defined wall, and a crisp 5.5lb break. The reset is 1/8" and the re-strike trigger pull is 7.5lbs. This trigger is a real improvement to any Taurus trigger I have tested, except the Pittman designed TX22 trigger.
    Name:  P1030587bb.jpg
Size:  814.2 KB
    This picture is showing a size comparison to Walther PPQ. The measurements are very similar. I will be doing a range test and comparison to the PPQ hopefully this weekend. So far I am quite impressed with this Taurus. My total cost OTD was $259. So the price is very impressive as well.
    Last edited by silverstring; Yesterday at 08:37 PM.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Nice review I see Grab-a-gun has them for 239

Member #
    Liked
    558 times
    I'm seeing these for as low as $223 shipped so if you have a reasonable FFL with nominal xfer fees, this is a score! I'm waiting until Black Friday in hopes for someone to do an in-store price of $199.99 or less on the G3.
    silverstring and 777Driver like this.
    owner of "D" series TCP 738
    previous owner of PT111G2 & Gen 1 PT111 9mm's & Original (first gen) PT-92

GO NOLES!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1095 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    I'm waiting until Black Friday in hopes for someone to do an in-store price of $199.99 or less on the G3.
    That may be wishful hoping, but I'm hoping with ya!
    silverstring likes this.

Sponsored Links