Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Cleaning the magazines

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  DWARREN123 
#1 ·
I have never thought about cleaning the mags on my pistols. But that bright yellow follower makes me see just how dirty things get after 250 rounds.
What do all you who clean them do? What do you lube them with? Any guidance appreciated. I gotta clean the mags in all my other guns now. (they're black)

#2 ·
I don't clean them often. I have used a Harbor Freight Ultrasonic machine, but if you go that way, limit the cycles and time. I washed the paint off some of mine. Lube is really not needed for operation but in a humid environment maybe a dry lube coating is called for. Wet lube will hold more carbon and dirt.

#4 ·
I rarely clean mags unless they get dropped or I'm currently loading for the gun in question with Bullseye. Even then, I just 'wipe things down'.

Fully dissassemble it, wipe down all of the components with the cleaning rag that's in the cleaning kit and then run the cleaning rag through the mag body until there's no powder residue or dirt visible and reassemble. No liquid cleaning chemicals, no lubes other than what may be left over on the rag are used. All liquids do is act as a magnet for any powder residue, dirt, grit or gunk that gets inside the mag body.

#5 ·
I would say that first, you need to learn how to take them apart and how to put them back together correctly. Once you get them apart they are relatively easy to clean. Like CZ said, lube with DFL (Dry Film Lubricant). It doesn't have to be an expensive DFL, just one that will provide lubricity and not attract dust, dirt, and grime.

#7 ·
I had a PT138Pro that had some problems and the good folks on this board suggested a good cleaning, including the magazines. I took them apart and cleaned them with CLP break free (which is what I use on the gun itself) and then wiped the inside and run the spring with a cloth with RemOil (which is what I use on the gun itself). Problems were solved. I do wonder, however, if the oil on the cloth makes it attractive to particles, but my goal was to reduce the friction a little, but mostly to avoid rust.

#8 ·
BTW, DFL always works better if you heat the metal before applying. Hair dryer works well for this, in Iraq we just set our weapons out in the sun for a few minutes. DFL is also excellent in lubricating the striker/firing pin channel.

#9 ·
I usually disassemble mags prior to using them the first time. Often pistols shipped from overseas will have packing lube in the mag frame and on the spring. I always have at least two on the bench at the same time, but take apart one at a time. That way you can look at the other mag if you forget how the follower or spring orient in the mag. I put a little hoppes on a rag and wipe the crud off the spring and then push it through the mag body. Followed by a dry rag. Then use a lightly oiled with ballistol rag, will lightly wipe the spring and run through the mag body. Then after 5 minutes or so, run the dry rag through the mag body again. The key is to not leave hardly any lube in the mag body. This also holds true for DFL - too much will cause clumps of dry lube to build up. Light applications are the key.

#10 · (Edited)
WELL NOW....Eh I am but an old man when I was a young one and getting into the semi auto craze and still have a few more than what I need, An old man taught me (Vietnam Era Vet) You have the gun apart for scrubbin already. Neglecting that magazine/clip/maglip/clipizine/bullet feeder/bullet stackerer til fireded ehehehehehhahhaahahha one might as well go ahead and neglect the rest of it. From that point moving forwards I pulled the bullet thingy a part and cleaned it at the same time, I am cleaning the rest of the gun anyhow, lube graphite dry lock lube works well. Now each and every-time fired no it does not have to be.. I do the way I was taught. A few feeding issues can be eliminated by cleaning and INSPECTING the magazine, Has it helped as a result I found weak springs that needed replacement, broken followers again replaced. I could have band-aided the followers into working, cheated stretched springs, As a result of preventive maintenance I do not have any "GARBAGE" guns I can even depend on my Hi-Points, And the Hi-Points worst issues are the magazines. Ugly as a $0.50 hooker but will be effective in time of need. CLEAN YOUR MAGAZINES. Again I am an OLD MAN I was lead/taught/showeded/instructed different.

#12 ·
#13 ·
I pop mine apart and clean them whenever I clean my pistol. I have some #9 in a spray bottle and I just spray the insides down and use a 12 gauge bore mop on a rod.

#14 ·
Thanks evenyone. I never even knew how much "dirt" (mostly burned powder soot I would guess) was being left on the mag, till I got my G2c with the bright yellow follower. Every other pistol I own has a black follower.

I've changed floor plates plenty of times so taking them apart and putting them back together will not be an issue.

#16 ·
I hose mine down with brake cleaner. I used to break them down for a good cleaning often, but never found much inside. So, about once a year, I try to do the deep clean. Still don’t find much.

#17 ·
I always clean my magazines after shooting. It prevents erosion/rust/decay of plastic overtime and keeps the bullets clean on the next magazine, that is if its carry ammo.
Magazine is part of the gun, clean them. I just use a tiny drop of clip, and even wipe the sides down in and out... make sure to dry it and not keep oil on plastic, you just want a drop to remove the residue of gun powered.

#18 ·
That is a good question. I NEVER cleaned my magazines until I saw a friend of mine that is a CC holder and former Marine at a tailgate several years ago. The subject came up of 'what are you doing next weekend' and his response was to perform his annual magazine inspection and cleaning. Got me to think of that so I also took all my mags apart. I was surprised at the amount of sand, lint, grime and other stuff that was in them. So my annual "Mag Cleaning Day is Jan1". And like JTG452, i fully dissassemble it, brush out the inside/springs, wipe down all of the components with the cleaning rag. No liquid cleaning chemicals or lubes other than what was on the rag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.