Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Why all the whining about the G2, G2C, G2S tigger?

4K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  WellArmed 
#1 ·
I see it in YouTube videos, their accompanying comments, online gun magazine reviews, and on gun forums... Heck, I even see people complaining about the trigger on this forum... I just don't get it. Is it just because people have been conditioned into believing that a decent trigger must be just like or similar to a target, competition, or Glock trigger? That if they don't make a useless loud clicking noise or have a similar take up, reset, and trigger weight, then there's something wrong with it?

The odd part and what I find even more baffling is that some of the same people who'll dismiss or complain about the attributes of the G2C, etc triggers, e.g., the long inital pull, will claim that they love the trigger on a particular DA/SA pistol or DAO revolver both of which also have a long, but heavier, trigger pull... Apparently they have no issues or qualms about shooting DA/SA Sigs, CZs, etc or DAO revolvers, but the G2C trigger is a problem? So much so that it needs to be altered, or they have to go with another plateform altogether?

There's light take up with little to no resistance until you quickly hit the wall, and then there's a short, crisp, very audible break. The reset is short as well. The long trigger pull is only on the initial pull. You can easily stage the trigger against the wall for slow accurate shots.... In a self defense situation, which this gun is designed for, it's just not going to matter... I just don't get it... Can someone explain it to me?

In searching for videos that mimic my experience and opinion, I came across the following:

See less See more
#2 ·
The early ones had a well documented "hitch" or a bump in the trigger take-up, that was annoying. I had it on my 2nd one and it has since been resolved.

#4 ·
Actually the early PT 111 G2 models, and not all of them. I bought one in black that was fine and wondered what everyone was talking about...got one in exchange for my PT 145 SS and it had the hitch. It's pretty much worked out with the heat gun application, lube and firing it. I agree that it is just about the perfect carry piece for weight, size, capacity and accuracy.

Reactions: jwc007 and Konyo312
#6 ·
The biggest problem on the reset issue is people releasing their finger off the trigger after firing the firearm and then re grasping it. Keep your finger on the trigger, pull it ...fire the gun, keep finger on the trigger and ride it forward to the reset position. That position is not much of a travel.

Reactions: KTM300
#7 ·
That is why I stick with the First Gen MilPro`s and 24/7`s the Gen 2 has the Glock Style nothing wrong with that style if one likes it. My take on it If I wanted a GLOCK I`d buy one.

Reactions: jwc007
#8 ·
Well the whole second-strike capability was kind of unique. People tend to not like things that are different. That design required that long dead-pull so the trigger could work DA if it needed the second-strike. They didn't understand that was the reason for it. Mostly, it's ignorance.

#9 ·
I have a few guns and they all have different triggers, but they all have one thing in common...when you pull the trigger, they go bang. I'm not a gunsmith and I don't consider myself knowledgeable about guns, but I agree with you. All the concern over trigger pull, weight, reset, etc. means nothing to me. Weaker minded individuals may think I'm discounting or dismissing their concern--not at all. It just doesn't mean anything to me. To each his own.

#10 ·
The only issue I would imagine is if you had some really extra huge monkey hands it would be a little goofy. But I totally agree, take up, then you can feel a little squish as the striker safety disengages then wall. It is funny, people crap talk the trigger then shoot really good with it. If the trigger was bad, you wouldn't be shooting like that Mr Smarty.

#13 ·
Why stop at the trigger? How about sights and springs? Or reworking the fire control to smooth things out? Or any other thing that's done to a factory delivered fire arm of any type?

Here's my answer. There's "No Second Place Winner" (RIP, Bill Jordan) in a gunfight. My motivation is to give me an advantage, real or perceived, if I ever have need to deploy my weapon in an adversarial encounter.

As I read this, it seems to come off pretty much "in your face." That's not my intent. The point I'm trying to make is, we modify our weapons so we can shoot them more accurately. Some are satisfied with the performance out of the box; others, not so much.

Reactions: dlr110
#14 ·
I've read a lot of complaints about the PT111 trigger being too stiff. That was one of the selling points for me, as in theory there would be less of a risk of unintended discharge as there would be with a very light trigger pull.I feel better off with a heavier trigger, since I carry & practice for self defense.

#19 ·
The most common reason people give me for replacing the trigger are the following:

-The trigger hitch issue, which still occurs in some new G2C/G2S, not all of them, but it still happens.
-Issues with the trigger safety blade breaking or sticking, especially in cold weather.
-How far back the trigger breaks.
-The long travel.
-Looks.

-The trigger safety blade breaking is the only really big issue that might stop the gun from working, and even then it usually still fires if you squeeze on it enough even with a broken blade.

#20 ·
I recently bought a G2S and the only problem with it is I don't get to shoot it often enough. I'm just an old sailor that only got to shoot the S&W .38 service revolver and the M16, so would someone explain to me what a "hitch" a "twitch" or a "squish" is in reference to this weapon and the trigger. I may have an issue and not even know it. :unsure:

Reactions: CaptainMorgan
#27 · (Edited)
Instead of the more common, and dependable, glock style folding block style trigger safety that puts a piece of material between the trigger and frame of the gun to keep the trigger from going back, Taurus uses a metal hook to grab the back of the trigger bar and lock things in to place. The "spring" for this system is a nylon leg jutting off the front side of the trigger blade, which is attached to the metal hook via a butt joint.

In a nutshell the "hitch" is caused because the trigger body moved back to far before the metal safety hook could lift far enough to clear the backside of the trigger bar, you are basically feeling the trigger safety almost, but not quite, engaging.

The most common cause is the nylon leg "spring" is stiffer than it should be, so the trigger moves back more than the trigger safety blade lifts, this is especially exacerbated in cold weather, when that nylon leg gets both stiffer, causing a worse hitch, and the butt connection between the nylon face and the steel hook shrink at different rates, and weakens the bond, which makes the trigger safety more likely to break.

#24 ·
ok I just read this thread and would like to add my .02 worth. Here's what I think if anyone cares.

I agree a self defense pistol is better off without a competition, match style trigger.

I think if the trigger effects your accuracy you have to make a decision. A self defense shooting is to hit a zone not a point, so does it really matter if accuracy is off a bit? Your individual call.

I like a smooth light trigger, but for this edc I don't want it too light, just smooth.

I modified the safety blade to get rid of a noticeable hitch still there after 1000+ trigger pulls. I also cleaned up the trigger system to help smooth it out a bit.

I think form the factory that the Taurus G2c trigger is heavy, rough/gritty and often has a disrupting hitch in the safety not clearing the catch during SA mode.

I also think that pulling the trigger 1500+ times will help smooth it out, and may even get rid of the hitch in the safety (if you have one). And a good cleaning & oiling will get rid of any grittiness.

I don't think it's a bad trigger, but it's not great from the factory.

I often rapid fire as though I were panicking to work on zone accuracy without focus. I can empty the mag in 10 secs. or less at 10 yds. inside a 6 inch circle, for me that's good enough for self defense. I work on that, and the trigger on this pistol is not getting in the way by any means. And I don't mean to imply that I would empty this mag in a self defense situation. Or do I? ;D

#25 ·
My G2C does that a little bit, but I don't give a crap...I just keep pulling the trigger, no problems. My father had a few nice rifles, that were built years ago, and they had some of the crappiest triggers I ever felt. You know what? He got a deer every years with them...me? I just make a trigger work, and am not much on "trigger snobbery".

#29 ·
Try the Kahr C series, similar price point to the g2 series. A good trigger pull is attainable at this low budget. Why does it matter? Have you ever had to discharge a weapon in self defense? I haven’t, but I have put thousands of rounds into a target. That is why the trigger matters. A good trigger is not necessary for close contact self defense. A good trigger is not a hindrance either, it may even help by eliminating obstacles to overcome in an adrenaline filled panic situation.

#30 ·
The only issue I had with the trigger was the possibility of the safety blade breaking.

I figured out that breakage was most likely to occur when the trigger was pulled hard without the blade being fully depressed, and that could happen when the shooter was pulling with the trigger in the knuckle crease of the finger rather than with the first digit pad on the trigger. I do consider that a design flaw--the reliable operation of a defensive weapon should not depend on precise placement of the finger on the trigger.

My understanding is that the safety blade has been beefed up on the G2C models. Well and good if so.

But my guns are the earlier model, so I've replaced the triggers with "Keep Tinkering" triggers without that blade. I do think I shoot a touch better with them because of their flat face, but except for the possibility of breakage, I'd have stayed with the OEM triggers. I used to shoot with DA/SA pistols, and frankly I've never, ever liked the long and hard first shot pull. Fully loaded and cocked, the G2 trigger is actually single action. It has that long early action because of the second strike capability, but it's so soft as to be functionally non-existent.

I do notice that fewer reviewers lately complain about the trigger.

Reactions: 2111USMC
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.