Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus G2C VS SCCY CPX2

14K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Czechbikr 
#1 ·
Went shooting with my son he has a CPX2 and I have a G2C both are accurate and dependable, but we both loaded some steel case 9mm that is where the difference started. The CPX2 will feed the steel case ammo and fire it but will not extract it, he had to knock out the cases with a cleaning rod, the G2C fed the steel case ammo and ejected 100 rds. with no problem. His CPX2 will feed brass fine, I am glad my G2C will as academy has. it cheap.

#2 ·
Interesting. I've never tried steel case in my CPX2.
If it's an issue, give the company a call. Mine broke a firing pin during a dry fire - just shot the end of it across the room. Called them up, was on hold for less than 2 minutes, gave them my SN, to which they replied that there had been some internal upgrades in the 4 months since my pistol had been manufactured so they would just send me an entire new upper assembly and a shipping label to send the old one back with. 2 days later it was in my hand and works very well.

Reactions: landfish45
#3 ·
Early SKKY (First called by this Name) were real trouble with various problems. I had one of the first 500 manufactured and it took over a year to get it in 90% operating condition. I later bought one in 2016, a SCCY CPX1 and it was trouble free for several thousand rounds. It was a little p;icky on ammo...never tried steel in it, but did not like the old Tulammo brass or WWB. I never got use to the new look though...reminded me of a Flash Gordon weapon. I sold it a couple of years ago, and the man still has had no trouble with it except for replacing the recoil spring. The company customer service was just great also. Never any questions...just "send it in under our shipping label and we will make it right". Compared to the G2c... personally, I'll take the G2c....just appeals to me better, but I am not going to short change the SCCY as being a bad firearm.

#4 ·
My first carry gun (5 years ago) was a SCCY CPX-1. I liked it fine, but I wanted a second carry gun carry gun in case something happened to the first; and I wanted a different gun in case the SCCY got recalled for whatever reason. I decided on a Taurus PT-111 G2. After just a few weeks I decided that the Taurus was going to be my primary gun, and the SCCY would be the backup.
What I liked about the Taurus over the SCCY:
1. Two more rounds in the magazine.
2. A good “round-in-chamber” indicator that can be felt in the dark.
3. A rail for a laser or light.
4. A better external safety. Firm & crisp, but not too hard.

The safety on the CPX-1 was too flimsy. Several times at the range the safety would click on from the recoil. And the ridge that protected the safety would rub the base of my right thumb, and give me a blister after 100 rounds.
The grip on the SCCY seemed a little fat too, while the Taurus grip is just right.
I have since gotten a new G2C, so I guess the SCCY is now the backup to my backup.

#7 ·
I needed to see this again. I've been ogling those prices being offered on the SCCY, although if I buy another 9mm it will be with the idea of pocket carry in mind and IIRC the SCCY isn't much smaller than my PT 111 G2.

#9 ·
Before you reach for your wallet, try a Keltec P-11 and make it a 3-way choice. I highly recommend it. One of my shooting buddies has a Sccy and there IS a difference.

Reactions: Czechbikr
#8 ·
Today I shot my SCCY CPX2 and my G2c, quite a contrast in triggers. My G2c trigger is really smooth after its break in, my CPX2 finally fed steel cased ammo, winchester forged steel. The forged steel seams to be getting upgraded by winchester, the cases do not have that black substance that came off on your hands. The cases are smooth and slippery. After today I have shot 1200 rounds of that crap:rolleyes:

#10 ·
Seen a few comparisons of the two on you tube most prefer the Taurus of the to the SCCY. SCCY is no slouch, Chief complaints 2 rounds less, stiff trigger. If one can get can get around those issues been told by those that carry SCCY pretty reliable. I found the trigger of SCCY like a Taurus 94b or an FMK.

#12 ·
I bought a 225 or 250 count box of steel case 9mm at Academy, (by mistake) I thought it was a really good deal on brass. I finally got my G2c a couple weeks ago and first visit to the range the G2c ate it up. 12 rounds every time. I tried mixing it with brass, every other round and no problems. It also cycled in my KelTec PF9 and my S&W 59. Maybe they have figured out how to make steel case work. Not gonna buy it again. Probably stick with Blazer brass stuff for range work. Love my new G2c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.