Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Why did you buy your G2/G2C/G2S?

10K views 67 replies 52 participants last post by  Stroker 
#1 ·
Back last year I was wanting to get a gun that I could keep locked up in my truck vault, and if I was involved in a shoot I wouldn't mind loosing it for evidence. I certainly hope to avoid any altercation involving slinging lead, but you never know.
I considered many different models and makes. I bounced around from the canik, glock Police trade in, etc. Price was one of the biggest considerations, along with accuracy, and reliability.

Shop shop shop and along comes a buddy with a pt111 g2. I was pretty impressed with it after shooting it. He told me $200 from PSA and this was before the rebates. So I'm waiting on them to go on sale and he calls me and asked if I wanted to buy his for what he paid. $210 which included what he paid the FFL.

I read horror stories and people vehemently decrying the gun and most notable the maker. Needless to say I was paying close attention to the RSA which seemed the biggest issue. Not an issue on my gun. After over 500 flawless rounds I felt it would work fine. I even bought a g2s, which I regret, I like the gun a lot, but wish I had bought another g2c in od green. LOL.
The only thing I didn't like about the gun was/is the trigger. So long, and the catch finally went away.
Then I stumbled on to keep tinkering's triggers and thought I would give it a try. Wow! Best money I've spent on a gun in a long time! Liked it so much I bought another for the G2S.

I am really trying not to spend much more money on a $175-200 gun. I have a p226 mag and sleeve for it, and a out bags holster if I need to wear it. I would like to have it nitride coated ($50 jagerwerks), put NS on it, and who knows what else? But it's a $175-200 gun! Shoots as accurate if not a little better than my P365! But it's a $175-200 gun!

These are screaming deals and I constantly recommend the gun. I would really like and an OD green frame!

I have well over flawless 1000 rds and other than wear on the slide (crap finish) it looks barely used.

So why did you buy the gun?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought one to carry because I found my CZ 75 Compact and EAA Witness Compact in 45ACP too heavy to carry all day. My PT 145 SS was at Taurus at the time (for 15 months) on the recall...that was my preferred carry. I bought one in Black on sale...then to my surprise Taurus made me accept the PT 111 G2 in SS in exchange for my 325.00 PT 145. I sold off the one I bought in Black and still own the G2 in SS.

#3 ·
I bought a G2C a few months back. I liked how it fit in my hand, prefered the SA trigger over the all the DAO alternatives, and price. I have somewhere around 300rnds through it and had one failure to feed.

I just put a Galloway Precision Asmund trigger in mine, and its ok, but not the improvement I was hoping for. I had already solved the trigger saftey catch and was just looking to reduce the take up.

All in all it has been a great pistol regardless the price, the fact that it was just over 200 bucks is icing on the cake.

#4 ·
I bought my first PT111G2 because of its features. 9mm, 12+1, slide safety, compact automatic, and inexpensive. It also go great reviews. The second one I did not plan on buying (NIB) but a member here gave me a price that was too low to pass up.

#13 ·
Same here. 12 round capacity in an easy to carry and conceal 9mm package. Other more expensive 9mm's like the Shield are limited to 7-8 rounds. I received a new PT111 G2 as part of the recall replacement program which I then promptly sold.

#6 ·
i bought my g2c just a short time ago. i have never had a problem with any taurus i have owned. my pt1911 was more reliable than some of the colts i had. i was looking for a summer carry gun for trips down river. i decided on 9mm for the size and also the price of ammo. almost all of the reviews i saw on the g2c were good. i considered glocks, but at less than 1/2 the price, with all the features i like, it was an easy choice for me. i will buy another for my wife and still be less than the cost of alot of the big name brands. i have spent big bucks on guns in my life....for the name. but at my age now i figure if the gun does it's job i am happy. and this g2c is doing it's job. i love shooting this little gun and it's much cheaper to shoot than my raging bull 44 mag.

#8 ·
i bought the pt111 G2 when they first came out.....as others have already stated, capacity,9mm,ease of carry etc.... however the main thing that swayed me was the ergonomics....it fit my hand like it was custom made for me....all the little ergonomic touches seemed well thought out! Mine has proven to be very reliable!

#46 ·
^This right here.

From the first time I picked up my PT111 G2 I felt like they had made it for my hand. The ergonomics, the grip, how thin it was for a double stack yet still so comfortable and light! It just checked all the boxes for me at the time. The only thing I was not a huge fan of was the trigger, but I figured I could fix that.

#9 ·
I purchased my PT-111 G2 after many hours of consideration at one the largest gun stores in my state. I held and dry-fired (yes, they allowed that) many different makes and models but kept coming back to the G2. It just fit my hand quite nicely. I didn't mind the trigger and I liked the thumb safety. The magazine capacity and caliber were also bonuses to me, as well.

It was my EDC (whenever I had the chance) until I was gifted my Spectrum - which became my EDC due to its better conceal-ability.

#10 ·
I actually bought my G2C to fill in for my PT-111 G2 while it was in for warranty work. I've since sold the G2 and now carry the G2C every day.

Will likely buy another later this year as a full time night stand gun.

Reactions: jwc007 and pegasus
#12 ·
I bought my first G2 because I had the PT-11 pro and really liked it. The G2 was better for conceled carry(2013). I bought the second because the SS slide was not available when I bought the first one. After the recall I sent in my 24/7 and the Pt-111 pro and recieved
2 g2 back from Touras. I traded those 2 in for S&W shield and never looked back.

#14 ·
1st, I tried one before buying and it work well.

2nd, they were $179.99.

3rd, 12 round capacity in a sub compact 9mm?!

4th, for a traveling CCW going out of state. If you have to use it, you'll lose it. Even beyond 99% surety that you were justified in the use, the police are required to confiscate it for a time to inspect it. Which is better sitting in an evidence room, your $500 to $800 Glock/SIG/HK, or a $180 Taurus?

Good enough is the enemy of the best-Meaning there is a cost to the best. To use WWII as an example, the M4 Sherman and T-34 tanks were medium tanks, neither was the best at any one thing, but we built over 50,000 M4's and the Russians built around 58,000 T-34's. They were easier and quicker to build. Total output of all German tanks were over 15,000.

Before someone mentions the Tiger, Michael Wittmann a German tank ace and his Tiger, we taken out by a Sherman's 75mm. It was the Canadians that were in range and on the side that got hit.

Maloy

#19 ·
Back last year I was wanting to get a gun that I could keep locked up in my truck vault, and if I was involved in a shoot I wouldn't mind loosing it for evidence. I certainly hope to avoid any altercation involving slinging lead, but you never know.
I considered many different models and makes. I bounced around from the canik, glock Police trade in, etc. Price was one of the biggest considerations, along with accuracy, and reliability.

So why did you buy the gun?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Impulse, kind of.

I'd decided that a "baby Glock" was probably not going to work for me. Grip too short. (The G19 is a 2.5 finger grip for me.) But, ahh!, there's this. And my FFL tells me he's sold a bunch of them, with no complaints. And he finds a home for my Star that I'll never carry, which basically covers the G2C. So I get to try something new.

Working so far, but I must do something about those sights.

#20 ·
I needed to send my Kahr C9 into the factory for repair on the trigger not resetting. At the time I only had one other 9mm, a CZ P-07 and I like having a back up for the type ammo. My brother in law has a PT111 G2 and I liked it. When I found a G2c on sale for $179.00 and thought I would either sell it or give it to one of the family embers when I got the Kahr back.....I ended up liking it so much I will not give it up. The G2c and the Kahr are my only striker fire handguns I own.

Reactions: jwc007
#21 ·
I bought my G2C as a truck gun. At the price I would not be too upset if something happened to it. But after getting it I could not resist adding some Truglo night sights, a Lakeline stainless Striker Guide, and a Keeptinkering SAO flat faced trigger. What a difference the guide and trigger made. I had to take some very fine sand cloth to the edges of the trigger to smooth out the edges. This little pistol feels great in the hand and with only a couple hundred rounds through it has been 100% reliable. The trigger take-up is smooth and the break is crisp. I have a Fist #1AK thin kydex holster for my G26 that I remolded to fit it, it is an IWB and very comfortable. So my "Truck Gun" is now much more and I would be pissed if I lost it. LOL

#24 ·
I am on a fixed income and just can't seem to either save enough for a higher cost gun or with my low income I just can't justify spending a lot on a gun. I went to the shop to get my new gun and i had two choices with the money i had, a taurus g2c or ruger security 9. the taurus was $235 otd, the ruger was $300 otd. i chose the taurus because it was cheaper and i could get more ammo, i later saved and got the ruger which is in the safe as backup. the taurus was so easy to carry, shoot and reliable it is my daily carry. the ruger too has been flawless but until the taurus proves it's not it will be on my side for as long as it likes.

#25 ·
There was no one particular reason, but the first general reason was a relative of mine had one and was telling me how great his was, and that he only paid less than half the price of competing 9mm compacts. It had all the characteristics I was looking for in a single action type handgun, compact, high cap if a 9mm, light weight, thumb safety, decent trigger pull. I was initially concerned with reliability because over the decades my previous knowledge with Taurus guns has not been good. (which is putting it mildly) Over the decades half the people I knew who bought a Taurus had an issue, and IMO that's too low of a QC to pay good money for a gun that you are going to use as a self defense gun. I used to have a WW2 Luger and it wasn't reliable with HP ammo, but I didn't expect it to be, that's not why I bought it at the time, and Taurus guns aren't collectable. Also I had heard on the news about the issues with dropping the PT111 (not the G2) and didn't want that. Obviously you don't want to drop a gun but it can happen, and you don't want it going off.

After seeing all the good reviews of it, finding out it's drop safe, and after testing out a range gun version (along with other brands similar 9mm pistols) I couldn't tell a significant enough of a difference to justify spending 2-3 X the price for a more name brand gun. Although the Glock G26 is more compact the Taurus and the other brands were actually much more comfortable to shoot in my hands. I was impressed but still leery. The final straw though was someone I knew who had purchased a brand new PT111 G2 and his GF told him he had to sell it. He finds out she's anti gun after buying one instead of before. :( He never even got the chance to fire it. He tried selling it at various gun stores and pawn shops but they didn't want to give him much for it. I think the highest offer he got was a hundred, the lowest was 50 and the guy tried to claim he was doing the guy a favor buying it at that price. :( I wasn't able to give him what he paid for it but he did better than the gun store offers he got. So far my PT111 G2 has been utterly reliable with every kind of 9X19 ammo I fired in it, and a round count of about 1500. I'm confident that should it be needed in a self defense situation it will perform just as well as other handguns costing 3X the price. There's an old adage that says, "You get what you paid for." In my case I got much more than I paid for. :)

#26 ·
I bought my G2C used from a friend after he'd decided it wasn't for him. Figured I owed him a favor so I bought it. In just over 500 hundred rounds I've only had a couple of failure to feeds contributing it to an after market RSA.

I like the pistol. It feels good in the hand and I can shoot it reasonably well, but I don't carry it often. I most often pocket carry, so I'll generally carry something smaller than the G2C.

#28 ·
I will admit I am looking at the G2c ONLY because of the recent release of the .40 S/W...I do not care for the trigger on the G2 If I wanted a Glock I`d just buy one. But might have to flip the finances to GIVE them a "FAIR" run Never had one never wanted one. As change occurs so must I.

#29 ·
I bought mine simply because I was getting back into shooting after may years off. Being a casual target shooter, I didn't want to spend $$$ on a target gun for fun, so for $225 I was happy with the amount I spent. The G2C feels substantial and performed flawlessly after about 500 rounds. Easy to takedown and cleaning and it shoots great. Bought a Spectrum as well and I like my small arsenal of budgets guns, not to mention the fun I have at the range with my friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.