Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Why did you buy your G2/G2C/G2S?

10K views 67 replies 52 participants last post by  Stroker 
#1 ·
Back last year I was wanting to get a gun that I could keep locked up in my truck vault, and if I was involved in a shoot I wouldn't mind loosing it for evidence. I certainly hope to avoid any altercation involving slinging lead, but you never know.
I considered many different models and makes. I bounced around from the canik, glock Police trade in, etc. Price was one of the biggest considerations, along with accuracy, and reliability.

Shop shop shop and along comes a buddy with a pt111 g2. I was pretty impressed with it after shooting it. He told me $200 from PSA and this was before the rebates. So I'm waiting on them to go on sale and he calls me and asked if I wanted to buy his for what he paid. $210 which included what he paid the FFL.

I read horror stories and people vehemently decrying the gun and most notable the maker. Needless to say I was paying close attention to the RSA which seemed the biggest issue. Not an issue on my gun. After over 500 flawless rounds I felt it would work fine. I even bought a g2s, which I regret, I like the gun a lot, but wish I had bought another g2c in od green. LOL.
The only thing I didn't like about the gun was/is the trigger. So long, and the catch finally went away.
Then I stumbled on to keep tinkering's triggers and thought I would give it a try. Wow! Best money I've spent on a gun in a long time! Liked it so much I bought another for the G2S.

I am really trying not to spend much more money on a $175-200 gun. I have a p226 mag and sleeve for it, and a out bags holster if I need to wear it. I would like to have it nitride coated ($50 jagerwerks), put NS on it, and who knows what else? But it's a $175-200 gun! Shoots as accurate if not a little better than my P365! But it's a $175-200 gun!

These are screaming deals and I constantly recommend the gun. I would really like and an OD green frame!

I have well over flawless 1000 rds and other than wear on the slide (crap finish) it looks barely used.

So why did you buy the gun?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#30 ·
Purely curiosity. I saw a G2 in a local shop while shopping for another handgun. Well, I bought the other handgun, but the G2 stayed in the back of my mind. Sometime later, when shopping for another handgun, I saw the G2 again. I believe it was $229 or around that, which was very good at the time. I handled it, liked the way it looked, liked the way it felt in the hand. Again, I bought the other handgun, but this time, the G2 came along too. I have not reservations or criticisms. I does exactly what it's supposed to and does it well.

#31 ·
I wanted to see what the rave was about, for $175 after rebate (wish I waited, they had a sale next week and I could have had the SS model same price!) I will be buying a 2nd probably in SS or FDE.

I am debating upgrading it, but mostly a stash gun like the Mosin Nagant's dirt cheap prices in the past. Cheap enough not to care about it, good enough and realable so far to be a store away/trade end of the world type gun. lol

#32 ·
I bought the G2S because:

1) It's Size
2) It's Weight
3) Caliber
4) Easy to conceal
5) Price ($249)
6) Recommendations from folks on this website
7) Because I wanted too.

Reactions: CJS3 and Qwiks draw
#33 · (Edited)
I own two G2Cs. One new and one used. Both are for carry......only 1 at a time. :) One gets used mainly for practice and the new one is for carry. I like to have two of each kind in case one gets bagged and tagged for evidence due to having to defend oneself. Then one has another to carry or use when the 1st gun will be out of service for who knows how long.

#34 ·
I bought mine after seeing a video review from Hickok45... he actually liked it... Love mine!

Reactions: Taurus_9mm
#35 ·
Price mostly. I liked the size of it and the fact it was a 9. After the trigger failed to reset twice I decided I can't trust it in a life or death situation no matter if it was "fixed" or not so I retired it. I now only carry it while walking in the woods across the road. I've replaced it with a Ruger LC9 Pro. 9MM

#36 ·
I had been reading about the G2c online and watching youtube vids and everything was positive. I have a KelTec PF9 that hurts to shoot and was going to replace it with something in 9mm. I waked into Bud's Gun Shop in TN to try the G2c. !
$10 for 10 rounds in their gun on their range. If you decide to buy that day, you get the $10 back. I shot it and it felt great in my hand and seemed to be a natural pointer for me. I hit the 10 ring every time at 7yards. took 3 shots using the sights carefully and fired slowly. then a couple double taps from "low ready" as quickly as I could acquire the sights. Then the rest as single shots from low ready as a point and shoot without really sighting. Like I said all in the center ring on a bad guy silhouette target. I was gonna think about it some, because I really didn't need it, I just wanted it and we have been going to get my wife a Bersa Thunder and it's really her turn for a new piece. Then I stopped by the sales counter on the way out. They had it for $184. With my $10 back it was like I was going to get it for $174 or walk away from my $10. That was about 10 days ago. I finally got it to the range today. Shoots fine and very accurate in my hands. Shot some Blazer brass and a bunch of Rem steel case. Shot about 100 rounds. Wife shot about 20. Not one problem. It's a keeper. Next up a Bersa Thunder 380 (for her) ;)

#38 ·
I've been carrying a PT111, with an Alien Gear Shapeshifter holster, for over a year as an EDC. I bought it after hours of online research, ratings, caliber, capacity, safety features, stiff trigger pull, comfortable to shoot, easy to care for and price. I've since then put mover 1000 rounds through it. Flawlessly, except for finding a weak magazine, which Taurus replaced (no questions asked).

Thinking that it would be a good idea to have a back up carry, in case my PT111 needed repair, I decided the G2C was the best gun. The G2C is virtually identical to the PT111, so I don't need to learn how to maintain a completely different gun. The magazines are interchangeable. Uses the same ammo. I don't need to buy a separate EDC holster. Also, I enjoy all of the benefits of the PT111, mentioned above. What made me immediately buy one at the time was out local Rural King had it on sale for $165 (cheaper than Saturday night dinner & drinks for 2 at a chain restaurant).

I fired my G2C at the range for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Felt a little different than my PT111. Maybe just my imagination or it needs a little break in. However, it shot flawlessly.

#41 ·
At one time, I owned the PT 140, 145, and 111. As time passed and my passion for guns increased, I sold all of those and upgraded to Kimber (9mm and 45 ACP) and a Sig (40 S&W) which I enjoyed shooting very much. Then one day I realized that having two kids in college at the same time was quickly eating up the college fund. One semester, after losing a great job (Thank you Obama) I found myself in need of a couple grand for tuition so I sold the Kimbers and the Sig instead of pulling the funds from other sources. Don't worry, I was not left without personal protection as I was still carrying either my Taurus m605 or my Bersa Thunder 380.

Then one day, while at the range, a buddy pulled the new and improved G2C 9mm out of his bag. I literally took it from his hands, loaded the mags, and commenced to shooting it. I was back in love with Taurus! Within a week or so I had purchased a brand new, black G2C 9mm for only $189 + tax at a local gun shop. The only thing I was not happy about was how stiff the Slide Lock was to release but over time, it has loosened up nicely.

I'm looking forward to my next Taurus purchase which will be the G2C 40.

#42 ·
Basically, it came down to price.

At first, I was looking at getting a replacement for the Sig P250 I had lost when I couldn't redeem it from a pawn shop. There were plenty of them around but I didn't want to go through the "send to a FFL and pay for the transfer above the price of the gun" thing. I also began to realize that, with Sig abandoning the P250, it was becoming scarcer and the prices were starting to rise. I then looked into the P320. It's a nice gun and I'd love to have one, but at $500 out the door, it was a bit too rich for my blood (or wallet.) The same issue applied to the P365.

One day, I was in a new gun store, Security Centers, Inc., in Bixby, OK. (It's their second location and closer to me than their first one.) Talking with the counter man, I was discussing what guns I could afford. At the time, I was considering the SCCY CPX-2 as it was a DAO hammer-fired gun like my P250 was. He suggested that I try the G2c. I wasn't sure about considering a Taurus, what with the problems I'd heard about them on different forums and such--but then, I realized that the SCCY also had its detractors. I picked up the gun and was greatly impressed! I liked the fact that, like my P250 and the SCCY, it had restrike capability, even though it's a striker-fired gun. I also appreciated the fact that it carries two rounds more than the CPX-2. A little less than two weeks later, I walked out the door with a two-tone G2c for $217.

Now, I have found that there is a slight deficiency in the grip--I wish there was a bit more of an undercut where the trigger guard meets the grip--but that only becomes bothersome after a long day at the range. If I were to have to use the gun for self defense (its intended use,) the incident would be over before I'd have time to notice that little rubbing. Since I realize that nothing man-made is going to be perfect, I can live with that rather minor annoyance.

#45 ·
I wanted a gun that was 2 toned in color, but I detest the FDE and OD Green colors everyone seems to be offering. I really didn't want aqua, pink, purple or yellow as a frame color either. I saw a Brown (not FDE)/Black G2S on sale online, and bought it. Good gun except for the crappy stock sights.

#49 ·
Requirements:
Fits my hand perfectly. Perfectly.
Double-stack, 13 rounds fully loaded.
Single-action trigger (with a good safety...I trained on a 1911)
Compact for good concealment.
Proven reliable.

The only OEM quibble I had was reliability of the trigger in my three G2 pistoals--that blade breakage. I've put in Keep Tinkering triggers, so I'm good with that now.
I shot mine enough to wear out the recoil springs (1500 to 2000 rounds). I've replaced those with Lakeline springs.
The finish has not been a problem. Two of mine are stainless steel, but I don't really care.
I wasn't crazy about the sights, but no gun has OEM fiber sights that come close to filling my other requirements. I replaced mine with Lakeline fiber optic sights.
Frankly, there is no other gun on the shelves that meet my requirements that I know of.

Reactions: KTM300
#51 ·
I don't care for striker guns, hence the G2C and PT111s never interested me. My latest IS a Taurus, hammer fired with decocker the way I like it. It wasn't expensive, only 300 bucks.

Reactions: Qwiks draw
#52 ·
A combination of reasons. At the time I only had one 9mm pistol, a hi-point, and wanted something a little more svelt that could be carried and be used as a range gun. I had my dad's PT145 but I didn't own any other .45acp pistols and I had heard that there was a recall out for the PT145s. Looking through this board I saw that turning it in would result in a PT111G2 in 9mm coming back so I Started looking into it. I was on the fence between a PT709 or the G2 and cabelas had a "good" sale on them at the time, ~$200, so I decided to keep and PT145 and buy a 9mm. At the store the deciding factors were that the G2 came with 2 magazines, had more capacity, and was only a bit bigger than the PT709. Both were glove friendly so that helped and both have re-strike capability. Honestly I have an impulse control issue when a firearm is around the $200 price point. I haven't had any lemons yet and the only regret I have is a EC9s that I had to send back to Ruger for an extractor fix, it works now but is not fun to shoot. To make it worse it didn't fill the role I wanted it to, for pocket carry I ended up just using my Remington RM380 and for IWB I ended up using the Taurus G2.

#54 ·
Bought a G2s primarily because of price. I was looking at several single stacks in the $200 to $275 range. The G2s went on sale for $185 (with a coupon applied for the stainless) so that's what I got. Too many positive reviews to pass it up.

#57 ·
Got my 6th G2(C) today.
Bought the stainless version just because all my other slides are black.
Love the feel and capacity.
Traded a used S&W Shield for it. Why in Heaven's name I ever bought a Shield, is beyond me.
I hated that gun.

#60 ·
I was in Cabela's and saw the price of the G2C and literally laughed. $180 after rebate! What?! I had just gotten back into shooting after a 20 year layoff and that was too good to pass up. I did a ton of research and liked what I saw. Went in to but the gun the next day and the salesman casually mentions that there is a used G2C inn the gun library for sale for $150 with 3 magazines and did I realize that magazines cost $40? I did not, kind sir! I bought that gun, did a upgrade with Lakeline striker guide and recoil assembly with what I saved, worked on the trigger and wow! What a shooter! 2,000+ rounds in and not ONE failure to fire or feed with all sorts of cheap ammo (not Tulas, I don't hate my gun). The accuracy from this lil' puppy is astounding! The recoil is as tiny as the gun is small (though I do run a light on the front to help keep the barrel down). Will probably make a present of one to my son when he turns 21.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.