New G2c
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New G2c

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Member #
    12313
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    1,264
    Liked
    1342 times

    New G2c

    Wow it's been a long time since I've posted here at TA. A year maybe? Don't know. Anyway, on an impulse purchase I got a G2c at Bass Pro for $205 and the rebate ($180 in the end). I had for years a PT111 Mil Pro that I wrote about a lot here until I sold it because of that lawsuit thingy and the supposed striker issues, and I didn't want the G2 for the trade in at the time. Weird how life comes full circle.

    Anyway I took the new G2c to the range today to break it in. 230 rounds total, 150 of Blazer Brass 124gr, 50 of Fiocci 115gr and 30 of Federal 115gr I had left over. Now I thoroughly prepped the gun beforehand by stripping and degreasing it then a light lube, and I disassembled the mags, cleaned them and loaded them beforehand about 10 times each. So the gun was quite ready for range day.

    As expected it performed almost boringly reliable with all ammo, with only a few issues. One, the Fiocci, which I've noticed before, about every 7th or 8th round goes "thump" instead of "bang". Not a squib sound, more like a round not quite breaking the sound barrier. And Fiocci has a lot of flash.

    Second, I noticed that many ejected cases were sailing over my head and landing behind me. I noticed the same thing with my 809c but that one did not have enough force to propel the cases over my head, it just dumped them on my head (one reason I sold it). I noticed later a considerable amount of brass rubbing on the bottom edge of the slide ejection port, contact there could be the reason the cases are being directed over my head.

    Lastly was that blasted trigger. Whether it's the long take up or the gritty break or most likely that annoying trigger safety blade it took a lot to get used to. So much I couldn't really gage how the accuracy was. The gun seemed to want to group shots well but the trigger threw everything off. I think I'm really going to get an aftermarket trigger for this.

    Overall it recoiled less than my Shield and was very comfortable to shoot. Could become a serious winner if not for that dang trigger. I'll keep at it.
    "Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" New Hampshire Revolutionary War General John Stark

    "DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

  2. #2
    Member
    Member #
    75431
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    66
    Liked
    92 times
    I have gotten rid of the trigger saftey catch in the single action trigger pull with light filing and polishing of the saftey hook. Trigger is much better now, but I have a Galloway Precision Asmund short stroke trigger in bound to see if I can get it a bit better. I will post a thread about the short stroke once I get some time with it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1335
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    15,030
    Liked
    6300 times
    Over all for the price the G series in a pretty good gun.
    Paranoid and taurustoter like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Member #
    75473
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh View Post
    As expected it performed almost boringly reliable with all ammo, with only a few issues. One, the Fiocci, which I've noticed before, about every 7th or 8th round goes "thump" instead of "bang". Not a squib sound, more like a round not quite breaking the sound barrier. And Fiocci has a lot of flash.

    Second, I noticed that many ejected cases were sailing over my head and landing behind me.
    I guess every gun and ammo combo is different. Fiocchi is my go-to brand for target shooting in my G2C, and never an issue. As far as the cases ejecting, mine does the same. It has a long ejection and land about 4 o'clock behind me. I just thought that was normal. Enjoy the G2C, sounds like the 7&8th round issue needs to be worked out though.
    taurustoter likes this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    12313
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    1,264
    Liked
    1342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh View Post
    As expected it performed almost boringly reliable with all ammo, with only a few issues. One, the Fiocci, which I've noticed before, about every 7th or 8th round goes "thump" instead of "bang". Not a squib sound, more like a round not quite breaking the sound barrier. And Fiocci has a lot of flash.

    Second, I noticed that many ejected cases were sailing over my head and landing behind me.
    I guess every gun and ammo combo is different. Fiocchi is my go-to brand for target shooting in my G2C, and never an issue. As far as the cases ejecting, mine does the same. It has a long ejection and land about 4 o'clock behind me. I just thought that was normal. Enjoy the G2C, sounds like the 7&8th round issue needs to be worked out though.
    The Fiocci issue also happens with my two S&Ws, so it is the ammo not the gun.
    "Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" New Hampshire Revolutionary War General John Stark

    "DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Member #
    45013
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    953
    Liked
    749 times
    Welcome back! Thanks for the good report.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. - C. Mallouhi (author)

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    12313
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    1,264
    Liked
    1342 times
    Well I took the G2c to the range again a few days ago and put 250 rounds through it various kinds. I do note that last week I had a few failures to close battery on a fresh mag reloads. I never use the slide stop, I always rack the slide, so I assumed the out of battery stuff was my fault for not snapping the slide back hard enough. It did it again just once this session but then I had a failure to feed (slide wouldn't close all the way) in the middle of a mag.

    Limp wristing? Ammo? Need to polish feed ramp more? I'm actually thinking it could be an extractor issue (controlled feeding, rim slides up under the extractor). The problems have never been major, just a light tap on the slide and it closes, but it does bother me that it happened now in a firing cycle (as opposed to loading a new mag) after 400 rounds. Has this happened to anyone else?
    "Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" New Hampshire Revolutionary War General John Stark

    "DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    44413
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Marion, Va
    Posts
    881
    Liked
    835 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nedave View Post
    Well I took the G2c to the range again a few days ago and put 250 rounds through it various kinds. I do note that last week I had a few failures to close battery on a fresh mag reloads. I never use the slide stop, I always rack the slide, so I assumed the out of battery stuff was my fault for not snapping the slide back hard enough. It did it again just once this session but then I had a failure to feed (slide wouldn't close all the way) in the middle of a mag.

    Limp wristing? Ammo? Need to polish feed ramp more? I'm actually thinking it could be an extractor issue (controlled feeding, rim slides up under the extractor). The problems have never been major, just a light tap on the slide and it closes, but it does bother me that it happened now in a firing cycle (as opposed to loading a new mag) after 400 rounds. Has this happened to anyone else?
    The few times I have had this issue, a good cleaning and lubing corrected the problem. I find it is less of a problem after it is shot more.
    taurustoter likes this.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22132
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Spacecoast, Fl.
    Posts
    17,453
    Liked
    19327 times
    Congrats on the new pistol! Keep running it a bit hopefully the annoying issues will smooth out.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    26855
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    880
    Liked
    435 times
    From my research the G2 is solid "DumbArse$$" proof ya know if ya just can`t keep the finger off the trigger before the safety is applied sorta thing. But hey you all know the "RULES OF GUN SAFETY" are just mere "SUGGESTIONS" ooooh I kill me hahahahahahahahhahaahah
    Yuck Moo

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •