I think I fixed my G2C
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: I think I fixed my G2C

Member #
    Liked
    967 times

I think I fixed my G2C

A few weeks ago I posted a thread titled “G2C Failure to return to battery II”. In it I lamented how my brand new G2C would jam while shooting. The slide would eject the spent casing, load the new round into the chamber, but stop about 1/4 inch short of fully seated. This would prevent the gun from firing. I could reach up and hit the back of the slide with the palm of my hand, and the slide would go into battery, and the gun could then be fired normally. Naturally, this is unsat for a carry weapon. I thoroughly cleaned it once, but this did not correct the problem.
    I closely compared the G2C with my slightly older PT-111 G2 and noticed that the exterior of the barrel on the G2C was not as smooth as the G2. The G2 seemed polished, whereas the G2C was rough and unfinished.
    I cleaned it again, but this time I applied some rubbing compound to the outside of the G2C barrel. I rubbed down the outside of the barrel as best I could. It still wasn't as polished as the G2, but it was much smoother than it was before. I also replaced the recoil spring with a stainless steel spring from Lakeline.
    Yesterday I took it to the range and shot 100 rounds through it without a single failure. Yay!
    I should have put the old recoil spring in it and shot it again to see if it was the spring or the polishing that fixed the problem. I'll try that next time. Right now I'm just happy that my G2C is operating the way it should.
    Last edited by 777Driver; 05-03-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Yissnakk, darbo, pegasus and 8 others like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7430 times
    Nice! Keep us posted - so I will know that when I find another grey G2C that I should slap a polish on it immediately
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    18982 times
    Good deal. You should run the OEM guide rod/spring set up just for the knowledge.
    GhostHorse, 777Driver and Alfonse like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Good deal. You should run the OEM guide rod/spring set up just for the knowledge.
    Not sure what you mean.
    Can you be more specific?

Member #
    Liked
    18982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post
    A few weeks ago I posted a thread titled “G2C Failure to return to battery II”. In it I lamented how my brand new G2C would jam while shooting. The slide would eject the spent casing, load the new round into the chamber, but stop about 1/4 inch short of fully seated. This would prevent the gun from firing. I could reach up and hit the back of the slide with the palm of my hand, and the slide would go into battery, and the gun could then be fired normally. Naturally, this is unsat for a carry weapon. I thoroughly cleaned it once, but this did not correct the problem.
    I closely compared the G2C with my slightly older PT-111 G2 and noticed that the exterior of the barrel on the G2C was not as smooth as the G2. The G2 seemed polished, whereas the G2C was rough and unfinished.
    I cleaned it again, but this time I applied some rubbing compound to the outside of the G2C barrel. I rubbed down the outside of the barrel as best I could. It still wasn't as polished as the G2, but it was much smoother than it was before. I also replaced the recoil spring with a stainless steel spring from Lakeline.
    Yesterday I took it to the range and shot 100 rounds through it without a single failure. Yay!
    I should have put the old recoil spring in it and shot it again to see if it was the spring or the polishing that fixed the problem. I'll try that next time. Right now I'm just happy that my G2C is operating the way it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post
    Not sure what you mean.
    Can you be more specific?
    Just confirming what you say you are going to do. Run the OEM product so you know which of the 2 changes worked or at least had the most effect. Plus if the gun runs now with the OEM product you know you have a functioning back up if ever needed.
    Whittsailor and 777Driver like this.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Agreed. Sounds like the problem could have been just that parts needed to be broken in and smoothed out. It's possible that the stock RSA is fine. You won't know till you try shooting it with the original unit.

Either way, glad to read that you're up and running!
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4525 times
    But I think this illustrates the issues that some folks have with Taurus, Inc. Should one have to polish the barrel exterior and run an aftermarket recoil spring in order to get the gun to run acceptably?
    I guess it's trade off though. I think I saw where SG was running a G2C special for $169 (with club membership). Great price and I guess you might have to perform some tweaks here and there. But you probably can bet that a $700 P320-M17 or a $500 M&P Mod2 is gonna' run flawlessly right out da' box. (They better.)

777, glad you were able to get your G2C running ok.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have two of the G2c pistols and both have performed flawlessly thru five hundred plus rounds. I won't change my recoil spring unless or until the factory spring shows wear.
    A curious note, both are bought new and a month smart. One of the barrels is marked STI. The other is not.
    Just wondering.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    But I think this illustrates the issues that some folks have with Taurus, Inc. Should one have to polish the barrel exterior and run an aftermarket recoil spring in order to get the gun to run acceptably?
    I guess it's trade off though. I think I saw where SG was running a G2C special for $169 (with club membership). Great price and I guess you might have to perform some tweaks here and there. But you probably can bet that a $700 P320-M17 or a $500 M&P Mod2 is gonna' run flawlessly right out da' box. (They better.)

777, glad you were able to get your G2C running ok.
    Not necessarily in my gun buying adventures. I had to call Glock for a RSA right out of the box to get a new G23 working properly.
    Also, if you ever want to hear a sob story, I'd be happy to tell you about the $700 I'd paid for a used Colt Defender and the additional $300 I'd stubbornly spent to try and get it working before finally giving up.

You'd think price would mean quality and dependability but that hasn't always been in my case.

Member #
    Liked
    1551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Whittsailor View Post
    Not necessarily in my gun buying adventures. I had to call Glock for a RSA right out of the box to get a new G23 working properly.
    Also, if you ever want to hear a sob story, I'd be happy to tell you about the $700 I'd paid for a used Colt Defender and the additional $300 I'd stubbornly spent to try and get it working before finally giving up.

You'd think price would mean quality and dependability but that hasn't always been in my case.
    After I bought my first Taurus Pistol, I decided that I need to have something better. So, I started doing some research on different brands. Part of that research was my joining the Glock group on Facebook.

What I learned there is that Glock's CS is far better than Taurus. However, I was amazed at the amount of issues that people reported with their newly purchased Glock Pistols. And, I also found that Glock has only a one year warranty in the hands of the original owner.

Fast forward from 2015 to 2018. I am of the opinion that Taurus CS has gotten better. Not great, but better. I think it was a mistake to change the warranty to one year in the hands of the original owner. An issued that they have since corrected.

I sold my PT111 G2 a few months back and now have only the G2C 9mm. I, unfortunately, have one of the triggers that have the hitch in the take up. The downside is that it shouldn't be there. The upside is that it's made me use proper trigger control which has improved my accuracy.

Having said all of that.... I don't think it's possible to find a better pistol than the G2C at it's current cost of around $200. with my G2C, I have decided to keep/leave it completely stock.
    Last edited by EdinGeorgia; 05-05-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    Taurus G2C 9mm
    Springfield XD Mod.2 Sub-compact 45ACP
    Really Old S&W .38Spl.
    S&W M&P Bodyguard 380
    NRA Member./GWCL holder.

"No one, anywhere, ever got something for nothing without someone, somewhere, getting nothing for something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links