Range report, good, bad, and ugly
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Range report, good, bad, and ugly

Well, I got my PT145 back in November while I was home on leave, but only got a chance to shoot about 50 rounds through it. Just got home for good, so I took it out to really try and put it through it's paces. Went to a local indoor range and put 120 rounds through, just to see what would happen. I'm hoping to carry this, splitting time with my 220, depending on situation, weather, what I'm wearing, etc. So here's how it went.

I took three different kinds of .45 230gr FMJ, USA, Remington, and Blazer. Right off the bat, loading the two mags before I headed out, I noticed a problem...one of the magazines was incredibily hard to load to 10 rounds. Both were stiff, as I would have expected, but on one of them, it was nearly impossible to actually get the last round all the way in and seated. So I tried cycling a few rounds, hoping to loosen up the springs a bit and found a second problem...on the bad mag, it was extremely difficult to rack the first round. The other mag worked fine. I tried a few things and found that if I used the slide release to just let the slide slam forward, as if on reloading, the first round chambered fine...it was just difficult to move the slide backward, over the first round. I loaded and unloaded that magazine over and over, trying to work the spring a bit, but it just wasn't working. Ok fine, I loaded both mags and headed to the range.

At the range, the one mag that worked fine earlier still worked fine...100% feeding, extracting, locking back on the last round, staying in place while shooting, etc. I reloaded and fired that one several times with no problems whatsoever. The mag I was having trouble with originally, though, kept giving me problems. Again, almost impossible to rack the slide to load the first round. Then I started getting nosedives and locking open after each round. Not good. I tried a few different things, making sure I wasn't limp wristing, loading 9 rounds, etc. Finally, the last couple of mags I put through it seemed to work out ok, with the nose dives and premature slide locks disappearing. I guess the spring did work itself out a bit. It's still damn near impossible to rack the slide on a full mag, though, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

As for accuracy, it was quite acceptable. I shot at 15 and 20 feet. At 15 feet, if I took my time and concentrated, I could get touching holes, with the occasional flyer. Groups were a little low and to the left, but not enough to be concerned about when we're talking self defense situations and a sub-combact pistol. Even rapid fire was within the proverbial "minute of badguy", so I feel fine with the accuracy of this little handgun.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. The one mag functioned perfectly, so I reckon that's the one I'll actually carry. And the ohter one straightened up...it just doesn't work very well with 10 rounds. Since I do have the one good one, I might try sending the other back to Taurus...how's the wait been lately?

Anyway, there you go, my PT145 range report.
    "Brother, you'd be amazed. It'll blast a hole in a man big enough to throw a dog through."
    --Hamilton Felix on the effectiveness of the .45

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33443 times

Re: Range report, good, bad, and ugly

Sounds pretty good, and since you have determined, it's a magazine problem, I'd make sure they replaced it. No matter how long it takes.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I sent both of mine back. Mine was making me nuts with misfeeds. I could get through a full mag once in a while, but it was not common. It was not uncommon to have 2 misfeeds per mag.

I sent them both back, and in about a week, I got one back. I waited a few days, and after calling CS, they sent the other one. It might be a good idea to send them one at a time.

The gun is perfect now, no misfeeds in the last 400 rounds. It has about 1200 total, I lost count..
    Taurus owner since 1988 (PT-99).
    Just got my PT-145 back in action.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for reminding me. I had to wait until Monday for the CS offices to be open again.

Yeah, it was nice to be able to narrow it down to just a magazine problem and then only one of them, specifically. I've been carrying it the last couple of days, and it's pretty nice. Easier to throw a t-shirt over the PT145 than the P220 I usually carry.
    "Brother, you'd be amazed. It'll blast a hole in a man big enough to throw a dog through."
    --Hamilton Felix on the effectiveness of the .45

Sponsored Links