My PT140 G2 seem to have developed a barrel tip issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My PT140 G2 seem to have developed a barrel tip issue

Member #
    Liked
    344 times

My PT140 G2 seem to have developed a barrel tip issue

Usually I clean my guns after about every 200 rounds or so. Since my G2 is well broken in now, I have moved the cleaning schedule to every 500 rounds or so, or if it's gonna sit a while I will add some extra oil to the metal parts. Today I broke down my pistols after shooting off the last of my 9mm and .40 ammo. The .40 G2 gave me an issue I have never had before. Usually the barrel practically falls out... this time it got stuck near the tip as I was lifting it out, and I had to wiggle it a bit to get it out. I cleaned the hole it slides into extra before reassembly, thinking maybe it was a hunk of funk binding it- didn't help. It went back in, but I still had to wiggle it in. I didn't see any obvious problems with the barrel, and it doesn't seem to be bent or anything. But now I worry it has an issue I cannot see. Do I send it back to Taurus and risk never seeing it again? Or can I do some filing work on that hole and allow the barrel a teeny bit more clearance? I know this problem has come up a few times before on the G2, but generally only on new guns. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Member #
    Liked
    2962 times
    If it is not difficult to reassemble, I would not worry. My 9mm G2 does the same thing and there is no problem. The only worry might be if you had a squib and shot it again but it doesn't seem as thought that happened.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    Well... I mean, it took a little more force than usual to get it in there, but no, I wouldn't say it is enough to damage anything taking it in/pulling it out. I just kind of fear that one day it won't come out at all. But if yours also does that, then maybe this is just what they do once they "settle in"? Accuracy wise, it actually did pretty well when I went out today, despite being windy as heck. I managed to get one bullseye, and almost got 2 more. Too bad I wasn't set up for the pistol challenge cause I actually did respectable today. Lol. So, no it doesn't seem to be hurting accuracy as far as I can tell. But it also isn't the most accurate gun either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    I'm wondering if his barrel end started to bulge.
    PT140 G2

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    It's always had a slight bulge in it since I got it, so it's hard to tell. However, I think I have a solution in mind to solve this. I think all I have to do is run a file a few times on the inside top edge of the hole. That should give the barrel just that itsy bit of extra room it needs without affecting how the barrel interacts with the hole as it fires. Unless someone has a reason not to do this?

Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Do you have a caliper to measure it? I have a 140 G-2 and can measure it.
    PT140 G2

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    I do not. But I have no problem going and getting one, if it is known what I need, and what store I go to to find it? I am currently also dealing with a slight car transmission sensor issue (which I have a part coming for to fix... what a great "Spring Break" this is ending up to be! Everything breaking and I have to fix it! :P), so I am trying not to travel too far until I sort that out. Planning routes a bit more carefully.
    Last edited by SplittinHairs; 03-14-2016 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Speeling :P

Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    My barrel od at the end is .530, and the slide hole is .538. The barrel goes in with no binding at all.
    PT140 G2

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    Yeah, that's how mine used to be too, so something changed, and I really don't much like that. I'm kinda picky. Lol. I see Home Depot has some in stock for not much money. Hopefully they will work for a small gun barrel. Only thing I can figure: I have been shooting Perfecta 170 gr. out of this gun for a while. I know they aren't the most reliable, but I haven't noticed any that were obviously weak or strong. But maybe I got a few that overpressured the barrel? I actually decided to not use them anymore before this happened, I was just getting rid of what I had left today.

Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    A cheap digital 6" caliper runs about $10-$15.
    PT140 G2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links