Taurus Firearm Forum banner
4K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Wino 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on handgun that my friend is selling. My friend is selling his Taurus PT-145 Millennium for $300. I've been looking at getting my CPL for quite some time. I've also been looking at getting something new, but the price is so good that I don't know if I can pass it up. It's a great size for me and I think a .45 would be perfect for defensive carry.

I have been drawn to Glocks as well, but I don't know much about Taurus. Does anybody have any suggestions? Is this a good price for this model?

AF

#2 ·
I don't know for sure, but I think this is one of the models that is part of a lawsuit and or recall. You may want to wait until another member here who knows for sure can advise you. Hold off if you can, form what I understand, Taurus is only offering like $200.00 if you send it in. Check it out before you buy.

Also, welcome to the forum.

#3 ·
Welcome from Missouri! I'm sure you'll get great advice here about it. See if there is a range near you that rents guns and have your friend meet you there with it and get rent a glock. Shoot them both to get a feel for what you like. If you like both, let price then decide you next step or get both. :D

Reactions: mingaa
#5 ·
I saw a Taurus PT709 and PT740 Slim for $299.00 at Cabelas, brand new. Since they are single stack they conceal really well. You could also get the TCP380 which is light and smaller for under $200.00. It is a .380cal but I am sure would not make anyone's day.

#9 ·
I CC a PT-709 Slim in a pocket holster made to look like a "fat wallet" This has worked really well during the summer months... wearing cargo shorts. I purchased my PT-709 at Cabelas (Hamburg, PA) and got a sweet deal. I owned a Glock 19 and 21... they are quality pistols. The advantage of Glock... you have more performance parts, accessories and holsters available.

#6 ·
The other posters are right, this is one the guns involved in the class action settlement:
If You Own a Taurus Pistol A Settlement Has Been Proposed in a Class Action Lawsuit that Alleges Safety Defects

WHO’S INCLUDED?
You may be a Settlement Class Member and have rights under this settlement if you are a resident or entity of the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, or Guam and own one or more of the following Taurus-branded firearms on July 30, 2015: PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT-609; PT-640; and PT-24/7 (the “Class Pistols”).[SUP]2[/SUP] The settlement doesn’t include Taurus G2 model pistols.

#7 ·
If you want a .45 acp, might I suggest the Glock 30S. It holds 10 in the magazine and one in the chamber. It will also except 13 round magazines from the Mod. 21 Glock, which are good to carry as a back up magazine. Had mine on today.
https://us.glock.com/products/model/g30s

Reactions: mingaa and FreeInAZ
#8 ·
I'll answer your questions. Yes. As far as advice, do your research. I carry a PT145MilPro, have done my research on the lawsuit, and won't 1) stop carrying the gun and 2) send it back to Taurus for replacement. Mine does not have safety issues, and I don't drop my guns.

#10 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on handgun that my friend is selling. My friend is selling his Taurus PT-145 Millennium for $300. I've been looking at getting my CPL for quite some time. I've also been looking at getting something new, but the price is so good that I don't know if I can pass it up. It's a great size for me and I think a .45 would be perfect for defensive carry.

have been drawn to Glocks as well, but I don't know much about Taurus. Does anybody have any suggestions? Is this a good price for this model?

AF
I would opt for a new G2 .Or a new 24/7. Prices right now are super low.

#12 ·
Good advice already given.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

#13 ·
And they say Taurus has bad customer service! HA!

Yesterday I came on to the forum to ask some advice about a Taurus PT-145 for a concealed carry. Unfortunately, this particular model was a part of a recall. I did some further research into it because my friend was the one who tried selling the handgun to me. He also didn't know about the recall.

After some research on the interwebs, I found that Taurus has an exchange program where they will replace everyone's defective handgun at no charge. How many companies would do that?! I think this speaks to the high level of customer service that Taurus owners receive. It is rare to find a company that cares that much about their customers.

There is also a website where you can signup to receive more information on the settlement.

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/register/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.”
– James Madison

#15 ·
Yup! Taurus is miles ahead of other companies when it comes to supporting their customers. So that means you could get it for next to nothing then send it in for something better. Win, win! :D

#17 ·
Yup! Taurus is miles ahead of other companies when it comes to supporting their customers.

Unless you simply need parts. Then most other manufacturers win hands down.

And if it's going to take six months to get that replacement pistol how good is that
service really?

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: mingaa
#16 ·
Personally, I would go the route of a new firearm, especially considering the pending lawsuit/settlement involving the milpros. I suggest looking into the 24/7 G2 compact or the 700 series. If you want a compact 45, the only Taurus offering is the 24/7 compact at this point.

#21 ·
I would recommend the PT 111 G2 also..It's 9mm, 12 rounds in the mag and very concealable. I have a PT 145 SS that I sent to Miami the beginning of August and hope to get my replacement 24/7 Compact 45 ACP in stainless in the next couple of months. If you want to stick with 45 ACP you could buy his and send it in to wait months for a new gun (so pay accordingly) or just find someone selling a new one for 325.00 approx. Grab A Gun and CDNN had them a few weeks ago, but they go fast.

Reactions: Col.TED
#22 ·
Much good advise so far - I alternately carry 2 single stack 9s pocket or IWB a Taurus 709 and a Kahr CW9.
Took me a while to just stop trying IWB with double stack so those go as tight to the body as possible and consist of a variety of guns depending on dress etc. Ruger SR40c is a favorite and a slew of full sized Glocks.

#24 ·
I have been drawn to Glocks as well, but I don't know much about Taurus. Does anybody have any suggestions? Is this a good price for this model?
Might as well add my two cent......

I was intrigued by the idea of having 10+1 in 45ACP in a small package and opted for the PT145 Mil Pro. I got this particular gun not only for its size but also because it was affordable for me. I quickly realized that it was a terrific shooter blasting round after round down range plus it is easy to carry. My only complaint was the end of the rail snagged on my holster. I solved that problem by changing holsters, actually, I made my own to fit the gun. Your friend's $300 might be a tad high for a used PT145 Mil Pro as compared to what you can find on an auction site but it's a lot of gun for three hundred bucks.

My PT145 Mil Pro was my first polymer gun and made me a believer in "plastic" guns. I have since added a PT140 Mil Pro, Ruger SR9E and S&W M&P 9 Shield all in polymer.

Bottom line and my suggestion is to get the gun, shoot it frequently, get comfortable with it and don't hesitate to carry it.

#25 ·
Years ago I carried 1911s. The .45 was, and is a great round. However, the 9mm in today's defensive loads are perfectly adequate as a self-defense load and cheaper to shoot too. I carried everything from .38 to .45 as well as .44mag both on and off duty. My EDC is a PT111G2. Easy to carry, shoots anything I put in it and puts the rounds where I point it. You can spend a lot more but I doubt you will find anything better for what you want it for. Just my .02 cents, your mileage may vary.

#26 ·
I'd recommend the PT140 G2 Millenium or Slim 740. Ammo is less expensive than .45 and more readily available in times of ammo panic by the paranoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.