PT111 G2: safe to carry with safety off? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: PT111 G2: safe to carry with safety off?

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Para_Bellum View Post
    Precisely what all police are taught to do. Keep your finger off the trigger while drawing. So, why does "Glock leg" persist, even with trained police officers who know how the pistol functions?
    In my opinion they aren't trained to do that, they are taught to do that. Training it becomes second nature and it needs practice to keep it that way. Being taught means you know what you are supposed to do but you don't always do that.
    jtg452 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3594 times
    Precisely what all police are taught to do. Keep your finger off the trigger while drawing. So, why does "Glock leg" persist, even with trained police officers who know how the pistol functions?
    I guess because in most of the after discharge cases I've read about, the finger had nothing to do with the discharge. Sometimes it was a drawstring from the officers jacket, sometimes an edge of a partly collapsed top of a holster, things like that.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Good advice on if you have access to the trigger with the holster you use. I use the new G2 holster and the trigger is definitely covered.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Striker is pre-cocked for the first round

Quote Originally Posted by asm View Post
    Is it safe to carry the PT11 G2 with manual safety off?
    It is not generally understood that the G2 is a single action gun, even though it can re-strike like a double action because it has two sears. In other words, when there is a round in the chamber the striker is pre-cocked. This is in contrast to the Glock where the striker is only cocked by pulling the trigger. A lot of us are not very comfortable carrying with a pre-cocked striker unless the manual safety is engaged, regardless of the other safety features like the trigger face insert, the firing pin block, and the extremely long first shot trigger pull. I just don't like the idea that there could be some condition where the pre-cocked striker could let go. So for right-handers I would recommend carrying with the safety engaged. On the G2 it is very well-designed and easily swept off. With a little practice I fail to see how it could delay a first shot by more than a millisecond. For left-handers like me it's a lot more problematic. I wouldn't carry without a round in the chamber, but I carry appendix and I don't want a pre-cocked striker pointing at my femoral artery. So I have resorted to carrying with safety engaged when I'm in what I consider a very safe environment, and flipping it off whenever I enter a situation where my alert level goes to yellow.
    Ralph_Kirk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3424 times
    Quote Originally Posted by watchamacallit View Post
    It is not generally understood that the G2 is a single action gun, even though it can re-strike like a double action because it has two sears. In other words, when there is a round in the chamber the striker is pre-cocked. This is in contrast to the Glock where the striker is only cocked by pulling the trigger. A lot of us are not very comfortable carrying with a pre-cocked striker unless the manual safety is engaged, regardless of the other safety features like the trigger face insert, the firing pin block, and the extremely long first shot trigger pull. I just don't like the idea that there could be some condition where the pre-cocked striker could let go. So for right-handers I would recommend carrying with the safety engaged. On the G2 it is very well-designed and easily swept off. With a little practice I fail to see how it could delay a first shot by more than a millisecond. For left-handers like me it's a lot more problematic. I wouldn't carry without a round in the chamber, but I carry appendix and I don't want a pre-cocked striker pointing at my femoral artery. So I have resorted to carrying with safety engaged when I'm in what I consider a very safe environment, and flipping it off whenever I enter a situation where my alert level goes to yellow.
    Absolutely. the G2 is single action when carried fully loaded, just like a Colt 1911. There is a longish take-up, but that pull is so slight as to be nonexistent, and the actual release pull is a single-action 5lbs.

I trained on a 1911, so I'm very comfortable with handling the safety.
    watchamacallit likes this.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    913 times
    There's a much better chance of an accidental discharge occurring than not releasing the safety in a life or death situation. It's safe up until the moment of that negligent discharge.
    watchamacallit likes this.
    Guns have only 2 enemies, rust and politicians.
    You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
    Assault is a behavior not a device, 69,997,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    This is for left-handers like me who can't easily disengage the safety on the draw, or for others who may wish to carry with the safety off but don't like doing so with a single action trigger. There's a Youtube by creator "A.J.C." that can be found at https://tinyurl.com/y4tdnjsh that shows at the 9:25 mark how you can set up the G2C without a pre-cocked striker so the first shot is a true double action like the Glock "safe trigger". First you have to replace the trigger with the SA/DA trigger ($30) from keeptinkering.com. That maker has a Youtube channel called "keep tinkering" where he shows how to install it and also has a bunch of other videos with Taurus tips and tricks. The trigger replacement is fiddly as hell and involves taking apart a bucketful of small parts, but does not require any real gunsmithing expertise. The video is excellent and the visibility of what he's doing is very clear. If you've got the nerve and the dexterity it seems eminently do-able. Otherwise maybe you can convince you local gunsmith to do it for you. Now getting back to how you make it perform like a double action on the first shot (from the URL in the first sentence above)--it's extremely easy given how easy the gun is to field strip and reassemble. Basically you take off the slide, remove the recoil spring and push the barrel forward. Then you insert a round on the breech face and under the extractor (it just slides in). You slide the barrel back in place making sure it's seated properly, reinstall the recoil spring, and remount the slide. Now you've got an uncocked gun with a round in the chamber and a true DA first pull of about 5.5 pounds.

--Paul S.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    "Glock leg" was coined when law enforcement officers first transitioned to the Glock from DA revolvers with heavier trigger pulls and were not yet accustomed to the lighter trigger pull on the Glocks resulting in the accidental discharges you are referring to. At that time, there was a serious learning curve involved because the Glock was a new and drastically different platform, with a much lighter trigger, compared to the revolvers law enforcement officers were accustomed to at the time. But that was way back in the 1990s. Today, almost 25 years later, where now the Glock is the predominately used sidearm by police officers, "Glock leg" is almost non-existent in the law enforcement community due to years of proper training using the Glock and other similar striker-fired guns that do not have a safety.

In a high stress situation, the less "bells and whistles" you have to remember in employing the manual of arms of a firearm, the better. Meaning, the deactivation of a safety during a high stress encounter is an added step that could mean the difference between life and death. For this reason, every duty sidearm ever issued to me by my agency (for the last 24 years) as an LEO, including my Glock pistols today, have never been equipped with a safety because of this reason. And yes, I belong to a very large department where every officer is issued both a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 (as a back-up gun) that we have been carrying for the last 5 years; and we have yet to experience a "Glock leg" episode in my entire department.

If "Glock leg" was so "persistent" as you suggest do you really think Glocks would be and have remained for years the predominant sidearm carried by the vast majority of law enforcement (65%) in this country today? On the contrary, "Glock leg" is extremely rare in law enforcement nowadays. Can the same be said about the number of fatal force encounters that had ended badly for the good guy because of either his/her lack of proper training or inability during a stressful event to quickly deactivate the safety on a gun equipped with a safety and consequently had resulted in a fatal delay?

My point: I would rather take my chances and run the risk of experiencing a "Glock leg" episode during a fatal force encounter than having to fumble around with a safety when split seconds count when it matters most. Not to mention, too, a safety is another added (and with proper training unnecessary) pistol part that could fail or malfunction at the moment of truth.

So as you have probably gathered by now, I do NOT use the safety on my personal-owned G2C. Instead, both, proper firearms handling and the trigger safety on my G2C are adequate enough, same as with my Glocks.
    Last edited by mjmackmsp; 10-19-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I have carried the Taurus PT111 G2 Full-Time at work for over 2 years.

I've slammed it into concrete walls, ran, jumped, and climbed things with the safety off. Never have I ever had issue with it.

Also, the trigger safety is another added feature for security.

It's a great everyday carry gun. Just make sure you lube it up every month or so.

Spend Less. Shoot More.

Email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Default32; Yesterday at 09:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    216 times
    I carry a Glock 31 everyday on duty. No external safety to deal with..... Having a safety on my G2 is just something I really do not mess around with nor do I worry about especially with that super long trigger pull.
    M&P .357 sig full size
    M&P .357c
    M&P 9mm full size
    Millennium g2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links