Taurus Firearm Forum banner

2nd Amendment Cyclist

6K views 37 replies 38 participants last post by  Lil Beaver 
#1 ·
I'm an avid cyclist - commute to and from work about 4 days a week, rain or shine, year round. The only days I won't commute by bicycle are when the roads are too treacherous to drive cars... some people try anyway, and they scare me. I also participate in group rides, charity events, and some long-distance (200k+) solo rides through the countryside.

I also have a concealed carry permit. I've been cyclo-commuting for nearly two years, and it's been a real challenge to find a solution to on-body carrying while wearing the road-cycling gear (lycra shorts + jersey) that is so important on rides that last more than an hour (or short hammerfests where I'm building up a serious sweat).

After lengthy deliberation, shopping, handling, and firing of a number of different contenders, I've purchased a Taurus TCP 738, and a Desantis superfly holster (the removable panel really sold me - I can't keep anything in a jersey pocket from printing, but that panel will make it print like a wallet instead of a gun).

The TCP is a perfect 3-season firearm for armed cycling. Unfortunately, my full-finger winter gloves are bulky enough to cause an incomplete trigger reset, turning the TCP into a one-shot weapon.

The TCP won out over the P3AT, the LCP, and the Bodyguard .380 for my spring/summer/fall cycling gun. None of those would reset their trigger even with my medium-weight spring/fall gloves.

So, anyway, that's what brings me here. I'll be mostly lurking about searching for tips on TCP maintenance, good ammo choices for training and SD, holster reviews, etc...

Note: For those who care, the Ruger LCR is currently leading the contest for winter cycling. It has sufficient space between the trigger and guard that my winter glove doesn't cause problems. I'm willing to consider other options, but they need to be lightweight, pocket-friendly (e.g. won't snag on draw), and with an unusually large amount of space forward of the trigger.

See less See more
#7 ·
Good to have you just jump right in :)

#8 ·
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

#13 ·
Welcome from East Texas.

When I used to ride, I had a handlebar bag where I kept a aluminum frame .38 Special, Parkerized Colt Agent. This revolver is kind of hard to find now. Colt has a newer auto pistol now also named Agent.

#14 ·
Hello and welcome from Southeast Tennessee;;

#15 ·
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

#16 ·
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the great Pacific Northwest!

#24 ·
Welcome from Oklahoma.

#25 ·
Yellow Facial expression Emoticon Text Smile
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

Brand Logo Graphics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.