Taurus Firearm Forum banner

New Girl Wanting her CC in Kansas

6K views 38 replies 36 participants last post by  SilverTauron 
#1 ·
Hello I just recently purchased a FN Herstal FNP 9mm. I am looking to get my Concealed Carry License and I was wanting to know what to expect. What is the course like is there a written test as well as a shooting test. I decided to join a forum to learn more about fire arms as well as what would be on test.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome from North Texas! As to what is on the Kansas test, I have no clue, but I am sure someone from Kansas will be along shortly who does!

#3 ·
Welcome from southwest Ohio! Don't know the particulars about Kansas, but for the most part a CC permit is going to require a specified amount of classroom instruction, a written test, and range qualification. In ohio the training is the same as the NRA basic pistol course with some legal info thrown in. The test is an open book affair. The actual shooting portion is all done at self defense ranges (3-7 yards), so unless you're really wild with your shooting it's very easy to pass. Again, that's for Ohio, but I doubt whether Kansas is much different. According to the info I checked, Kansas and Missouri have a reciprocity agreement, so you should be good to go if you decide to cross the bridge to KC, MO - and carrying concealed there seems to me to be a goooood idea.

#4 ·
That is fantastic and that will be very helpful! I live within 30mins of Missouri so that is good news. I also a agree that as far as safety goes that is a great thing to know as well. Thank you! I am very excited to get to work getting my License. Someone had told me there is some kind of psychological test to go along with it but I am not sure if they know what they are talking about. I am sure I would pass but you never know the way some of those test are worded for jobs and stuff. "Do you use sugar or PCP?" lol

#5 ·
Welcome from Northern Illinois! We are one of the safest places on earth because we don't have concealed carry ( stick around, I'll tell you another one! ).

I did take the Utah course and got my permit from them for when I travel to places which believe in and honor our Constitution. It was pretty much an all day class with fingerprint cards done by off duty LEO and a quick range examination to basically demonstrate familiarity with ones' firearm. Didn't matter if I struck the target (which I did) as long as the round went downrange.

If you are new to handguns or it's been awhile since you've fired one a handgun safety course could be a good idea also. Have fun and don't forget to take a photo and show off your new pistol...please. We are gun voyeurs here.

#7 ·
I live in KCMO as well. The course I took was an 8 hour class. Nothing written. Mainly the instructor showing videos and discussing general gun safety and CC practices and laws regarding MO/KS. Then at the end was a shooting test. 20 rounds with a revolver and 20 with a semi auto, both in .22 cal. Have to hit a paper plate at 7 yards. Piece of cake.

#10 ·
Welcome from West Texas!:wave:

Visit the Concealed Carry section of the forum. You'll likely get answers quicker there!:thumb:

It's always nice to see another lady sign on here. We do have a few!

#11 ·
Welcome form the Southern Tier of NY!

#12 ·
Hello from central North Carolina and welcome to TaurusArmed.net. You are going to find some friendly
and knowledgeable people here. I can't help you with the Kansas test, but most concealed carry tests
require firing from five, seven and ten yards on the range. We shot at a silhouette target and it was not
hard at all. I used wadcutter ammunition. (it punches nice, round holes and it is mild, allowing better
gun control) Good luck!

#18 ·
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

#20 ·
Welcome from Kentucky!

#21 ·
Welcome to TaurusArmed!

I recommend that you read the forum guidelines located in the Member Introduction section, read the FAQ section, and check out the information on the sticky topics found at the top of each section’s page; where you will find a wealth of information which will give you a “jump-start” as a new member.

You can probably Google the information you are requesting and find out what the Kansas requirements are...or you could move down to God's Country (Mississippi) where there is no written test or shooting test!

#23 ·
Welcome from Mid TN just jump right in we are a friendly bunch. :)

#24 · (Edited)
Got my cc for kansas last year before l deployed. kansas doesn't issue CC to out of state residents unless you are military stationed here. first you have to take a class from a certified instructor, that's any where from $80-$150. its a two day class that goes over state laws, yes there is a written test that's like 40 questions our instructor went over the exact same test minutes before taking it. the 3rd day is when you qualify (don't worry it's really easy). after that you get two passport photos. Then go to your county sheriffs office with your photos and cc certification. There you will do your back ground check and finger prints. The sheriffs office will send the application to the attorney general's office. I don't know how long the wait is personally since l sent mine a week before l deployed. You will receive a letter in the mail that says you have been approved. Take that to the drivers license office, there you will get your temp cc license, the real one is mailed to you in about two weeks. The process of getting my kansas CC cost me over 250 bucks, but l think last year the state lowered the fees. Kinda crazy that its a hassle to get a cc in this "red" state, since it only cost me 55 bucks and only a two week wait for my CC from the very liberal state of Washington. Well hope that helps, btw welcome to the forum.

#25 · (Edited)
Welcome from a fellow Kansan. I too am in the KC Metro area. I took my CC course four years ago, and it is a little different today. Now you sign up in advance with an instructor. You take the class and shoot, all in one 8 hour day. You shoot what you bring or some instructors have loaners available. No matter pistol or revolver, it is the same license. Get a pair of passport photos taken beforehand. Then you take your photos and paperwork to local Sheriff and get your prints and they send it in to the AG. Then you wait for the AG's approval letter, take that to the driver's license office and they issue your license. There are other details, such as fees and how to pay them, that are different from when I took the course.
I would suggest you look at ksccw.com A good forum made up of mostly fellow Kansas residents. There is a section for instructors and available courses in our area. Much more detailed than I have gone in to here. Also might look as the KS Attorney General's website. Good section there on concealed carry.
Good Luck!
Dennis

#26 ·
Ohio issues a CCH - Concealed Carry Handgun permit, but you can still get in trouble for stuff like batons, knives - basically anything that's not a handgun. I'm sure they cover it in the training, but just out of curiosity what kind of license does Kansas issue?

#28 ·
KS issues a concealed carry pistol permit. Many of the other items you listed are regulated by other laws, many cities have carry knife length ordinances, etc... but you don't ever hear anything about people getting in trouble.
The KS CC license is not caliber or platform specific (like OK, etc...), nor does it limit you to one pistol (like NM, etc...).
We have also amended the law several times, expanding where you can carry and putting the onus for limitation on the facility that wants to. In other words, you can carry anywhere in KS that is not specifically posted - with the exception of Federal facilities of course.

#27 ·
Hello from South Central KS!

Good advice from the other KS members. I would suggest you also check out the KSCCW forum for better KS specific info. Lot's of good folks there and instructors too.
If you have had any firearms experience I imagine you will have no issues with the KS test. It is thorough but not overly hard, one great thing about KS is that the license is not firearm or caliber specific like some states.
You can take the shooting test with a 22 if you want (my wife did), and your license allows you to carry any handguns you want.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.