New Girl Wanting her CC in Kansas - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    Liked
    27595 times
    Welcome to TaurusArmed!

I recommend that you read the forum guidelines located in the Member Introduction section, read the FAQ section, and check out the information on the sticky topics found at the top of each section’s page; where you will find a wealth of information which will give you a “jump-start” as a new member.

You can probably Google the information you are requesting and find out what the Kansas requirements are...or you could move down to God's Country (Mississippi) where there is no written test or shooting test!

Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Welcome from eastern Nebraska. Enjoy your stay
    LIFE`S SHORT----RIDE HARD

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8312 times
    Welcome from Mid TN just jump right in we are a friendly bunch.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Got my cc for kansas last year before l deployed. kansas doesn't issue CC to out of state residents unless you are military stationed here. first you have to take a class from a certified instructor, that's any where from $80-$150. its a two day class that goes over state laws, yes there is a written test that's like 40 questions our instructor went over the exact same test minutes before taking it. the 3rd day is when you qualify (don't worry it's really easy). after that you get two passport photos. Then go to your county sheriffs office with your photos and cc certification. There you will do your back ground check and finger prints. The sheriffs office will send the application to the attorney general's office. I don't know how long the wait is personally since l sent mine a week before l deployed. You will receive a letter in the mail that says you have been approved. Take that to the drivers license office, there you will get your temp cc license, the real one is mailed to you in about two weeks. The process of getting my kansas CC cost me over 250 bucks, but l think last year the state lowered the fees. Kinda crazy that its a hassle to get a cc in this "red" state, since it only cost me 55 bucks and only a two week wait for my CC from the very liberal state of Washington. Well hope that helps, btw welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Demolition Derby; 05-30-2011 at 05:45 AM.
    This is not Nam, there are rules.
    PT 1911 AR
    PT 24/7 Pro C DS .45
    PT 99
    Two .45LC Gaucho
    WA CPL Holder
    KS CCW Holder
    VFW Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Welcome from a fellow Kansan. I too am in the KC Metro area. I took my CC course four years ago, and it is a little different today. Now you sign up in advance with an instructor. You take the class and shoot, all in one 8 hour day. You shoot what you bring or some instructors have loaners available. No matter pistol or revolver, it is the same license. Get a pair of passport photos taken beforehand. Then you take your photos and paperwork to local Sheriff and get your prints and they send it in to the AG. Then you wait for the AG's approval letter, take that to the driver's license office and they issue your license. There are other details, such as fees and how to pay them, that are different from when I took the course.
    I would suggest you look at ksccw.com A good forum made up of mostly fellow Kansas residents. There is a section for instructors and available courses in our area. Much more detailed than I have gone in to here. Also might look as the KS Attorney General's website. Good section there on concealed carry.
    Good Luck!
    Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis2477; 05-30-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    Ohio issues a CCH - Concealed Carry Handgun permit, but you can still get in trouble for stuff like batons, knives - basically anything that's not a handgun. I'm sure they cover it in the training, but just out of curiosity what kind of license does Kansas issue?
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hello from South Central KS!

Good advice from the other KS members. I would suggest you also check out the KSCCW forum for better KS specific info. Lot's of good folks there and instructors too.
    If you have had any firearms experience I imagine you will have no issues with the KS test. It is thorough but not overly hard, one great thing about KS is that the license is not firearm or caliber specific like some states.
    You can take the shooting test with a 22 if you want (my wife did), and your license allows you to carry any handguns you want.
    Good luck!
    Model 605 SS .357
    XD45 Tactical
    RIA 1911 compact
    Long guns a-plenty

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee View Post
    Ohio issues a CCH - Concealed Carry Handgun permit, but you can still get in trouble for stuff like batons, knives - basically anything that's not a handgun. I'm sure they cover it in the training, but just out of curiosity what kind of license does Kansas issue?
    KS issues a concealed carry pistol permit. Many of the other items you listed are regulated by other laws, many cities have carry knife length ordinances, etc... but you don't ever hear anything about people getting in trouble.
    The KS CC license is not caliber or platform specific (like OK, etc...), nor does it limit you to one pistol (like NM, etc...).
    We have also amended the law several times, expanding where you can carry and putting the onus for limitation on the facility that wants to. In other words, you can carry anywhere in KS that is not specifically posted - with the exception of Federal facilities of course.
    Model 605 SS .357
    XD45 Tactical
    RIA 1911 compact
    Long guns a-plenty

Member #
    Liked
    4101 times
    Welcome from the Northwoods of MN.

One important thing with CCW permits which was impressed on me by the local police chief, chief of detectives, and the local sheriff years ago when I lived in Iowa who were all good friends of mine. That is Mindset! They all told me that if I was going to carry a firearm I had to develope the Mindset that I would use it if the situation developed that I needed to use it, otherwise the BG could easily take it away and use it on you. Shooting someone can be very traumatic so you need to develope the proper Mindset! Most instructors will also talk about this in the classes.
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Sarasota, Fls waving hello.
    Probably the best place to get your CCW info is the ffl you got your gun from.
    After that , your State should have a website listing all the requirements.

Again welcome.
    It's nice to someone that smells nice at the range

AFS
    There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links