Taurus Firearm Forum banner

New Girl Wanting her CC in Kansas

6K views 38 replies 36 participants last post by  SilverTauron 
#1 ·
Hello I just recently purchased a FN Herstal FNP 9mm. I am looking to get my Concealed Carry License and I was wanting to know what to expect. What is the course like is there a written test as well as a shooting test. I decided to join a forum to learn more about fire arms as well as what would be on test.

Thanks!

#29 ·
Welcome from the Northwoods of MN.

One important thing with CCW permits which was impressed on me by the local police chief, chief of detectives, and the local sheriff years ago when I lived in Iowa who were all good friends of mine. That is Mindset! They all told me that if I was going to carry a firearm I had to develope the Mindset that I would use it if the situation developed that I needed to use it, otherwise the BG could easily take it away and use it on you. Shooting someone can be very traumatic so you need to develope the proper Mindset! Most instructors will also talk about this in the classes.

#30 ·
Sarasota, Fls waving hello.
Probably the best place to get your CCW info is the ffl you got your gun from.
After that , your State should have a website listing all the requirements.

Again welcome.
It's nice to someone that smells nice at the range

AFS

#31 ·
Welcome!

I'm sure all the other replys from the Kansas folks will be a big help, but you may want to have a look at Handgunlaw.us, particularly if you travel between states regularly. It's a great reference if you're trying to avoid stepping on laws when you cross state lines. Good luck!

#32 · (Edited)
Hey welcome from South Central Kansas!!

I just took my CCH class this last December. Most of the Kansas replies are correct, but I'll try to add a few details.

First thing, you set up/enroll in a class to take. I had the choice of a couple of 4 hour evenings after work or an 8 hour class on a Sunday. I decided to use a full Sunday and have it done. It went fast, the guy was funny and we all had a good time. Even though there is a multiple choice test at the end, the big requirement is to be lectured for 8 hours. The test we did, we also self checked as the instructor went over each question with the class. He didn't even look at them before giving us our letter of completion.

I took mine at an indoor range and therefore was able to take the shooting portion of the test at the same time. As others said you can use whatever gun you choose, pistol/revolver any caliber. The shooting requirements are 25 shots. The first 5 are from 3 yards and are one handed, the next 10 are from 7 yards and are two handed and the last 10 shots are also 2 handed at 10 yards. Out of those 25 shots you are allowed to have 8 outside of the silhouette and still pass. It seems the guys will continue to work with you if you have problems, I think a big part is to see you operate the weapon safely and that you can reload etc.

But in this area you can find classes at 90 bucks or less pretty easy. I wouldn't think it would be too different up NE. Other than the class, it's all money and time. I believe it's $132.50 to finish up the process. But get the CCH application and fill it out. Attach one of your photos (that you have to pay for before hand from your big corner drug store, 10.00 bucks..?) and a copy of your CCH certification. The Sheriff's Office keeps 32.50 of it and takes your finger prints, and sends 100 to the state along with your application etc, it takes two seperate checks.

After that process it's all a waiting game, I believe mine took 65 days to get back to me from the state. You will recieve a letter of acceptance which you take down to the driver's license office and they will take another 15 bucks, I think it is, and take your picture and give you a temporary "receipt" type license to use until you receive your real license in the mail within 2 weeks. Your license will look exactly like your driver's license other than saying Concealed Carry permit.

I hope this helps you understand the process.

#35 ·
Welcome to the forum from Daytona Beach, Fl.

#39 ·
Welcome from Western South Dakota!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.