New guy, but not new to Taurus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New guy, but not new to Taurus

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

New guy, but not new to Taurus

I am here because I recently bought a replacement for a pistol that I sold 20+ years ago and always wanted back. It was a blued PT945. It had a slide which would not allow for safety to be engaged (decocker only) and it said "POLICE" on the side of it. Stupid me sold that gun and I have always wanted it back. It was an awesome gun. Finally, thanks to a little extra $$$ created by the recent stimulus, I decided I am going to do what that cash was intended for, and find a PT945. It took some searching, along with hounding my local shops, before I finally found one on an online auction site. There were no photos, but the seller had a good feedback rating and he rated the gun as excellent. I went ahead and began bidding. Soon enough, the auction was over and I was the winner. Then the day came that it showed up. It had what appeared to be a homemade porting job. The cutout in the slide was far from perfect. I never considered that this could be a factory porting job because of the quality and the fact that I didn't know that was a thing for this gun. After looking for sights online (impossible), I happened to see mention of factory porting of these guns. I thought to myself "is it possible?" Off to to the Taurus website to check the S/N. Sure enough, this was a factory porting job. Some more research revealed that other ported PT945 pistols had the same quality (or lack of) in the slide cut out.

So there is my story - I am the proud owner of a stainless, factory ported PT945. This gun has almost 0 aftermarket support and limited replacement parts available, but it is a light weight great shooter with an amazingly short trigger reset and almost unmeasurable take up following that reset. I honestly have no idea why these guns never took off. The trigger pull couldn't be matched without spending at least twice the money and it is a reliable shooter that will eat any ammo you feed it. I am old school, and this gun is everything I think of when I hear somebody say "Taurus". They took successful designs from Beretta, Sig, & Colt. They improved those designs, combined them, and created an awesome gun that nobody wanted.

Member #
    Liked
    2446 times
    Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

Got any pics of your PT945?
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35295 times
    Welcome from West Texas!
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigC View Post
    Got any pics of your PT945?
    Name:  IMG_4267.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  221.2 KB

Here it is, the "nickel-plated sissy pistol" made famous by Tommy Lee Jones in the movie U.S. Marshalls.
    Now, that I have accepted that I have to deal with the existing sights, it's time to go on a mag search. It looks like ebay is my best bet, but used ones are going for $80-$90 there.
    Last edited by medic75; 05-27-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1506 times

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45214 times
    Welcome from Northern Illinois! It looks to be in great shape, I am surprised if the auction didn't note the ported barrel. Is is kind of a descriptor of the gun, eh?

Good luck on the mag search. Post the question about the mags in the Gunsmithing section or call Taurus. Maybe another model magazine works in the pistol also.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    1344 times
    Welcome aboard.

I am a Democrat that love my guns

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47646 times
    Welcome to the forum from the Florida Keys!
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    1483 times
    Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
    That's the sissy gun that Ironman uses, right?

Member #
    Liked
    30192 times
    Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links