Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Job Rant! Am I crazy?

Member #
    Liked
    863 times

Job Rant! Am I crazy?

Hey TA'ers!

I thought instead of talking to actual human beings face to face I would post my job rant on here. Plus my girl doesn't get home until late tonight so to keep from yelling at my cats I'll post here. And yes I do have friends, but they're not off on Mondays!

So here's the situation. I contacted a business about a paid internship. Now I understand the nature of internships and that they're basically a non-essential part of their business, but more so breed future employees and leaders for their business.

My first contact was,"Hey Brian, we LOVE the resume. We would like to you to come in and chat about the position here at (name withheld)!"

I've been courted before, so naturally I was going to give them my time and see what happens...not expecting much.

After my first initial dialogue with the company the HR Manager said,"We can't wait to bring you aboard, we'll just do the interview next week and check some boxes."

Now I'm pretty sure I have the job, they didn't offer me anything yet, but when someone says something like that with a smile on their face while they're shaking your hand you think it's a done deal right?

The interview went great. I was able to relay why I wanted to work their and my future goals. The HR manager said that he would let me know when we could speak next.

I received an email a week later saying,"Hey Brian, we would like to set up a time for you to come in and we can talk about the culture of our company and give you an introduction to our leadership team. Keep checking your email because we're moving right now and it's a little up in the air as to when we can get everyone together."

NOW I think I definitely have it in the bag. I stopped looking elsewhere for summer jobs and am very excited to be working downtown and making good cash.

THEN the kicker...."We have decided not to hire and intern this summer and are expanding our staff in other ways. Good luck in the future."

After 4 trips downtown and shaking the hands of everyone in that place and introducing myself they decided to expand in other ways? I'm confused as to why they were so positive and receptive, and then hung me out to dry. I understand that there are other opportunities out there but I wanted something high profile to put on a resume and to make good networking connections. Has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing?

I understand that they don't owe me anything but that seems like bad business.
    US Navy (2006-2011)
    Walther PPX - 9mm
    Kel-Tec P11 - 9mm
    Taurus PT-92 - 9mm
    GO FROGS!

Member #
    Liked
    502 times
    OH man, that is a kick to the nuts. Sorry that happened to you.

Member #
    Liked
    7949 times
    Reply with a very respectful letter thanking them for their considerations, and emphasize that you're still interested in their company. Follow up in a few months with another resume.
    btleslie, treg, TXEric and 7 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19177 times
    I hate that dried up dog turd gettin' kicked around feeling. I feel for ya FT. BUT I think cassrh has the right answer.
    Last edited by darbo; 03-05-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    HD-Mike likes this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7176 times
    You have to realize that the day's of thoughtfulness are long gone.
    Keep your chin up, and don't give up, and ask yourself"Would I want
    too work for a firm that didn't give a crap about my time being wasted?"
    HornedFroggerTCU likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1128 times
    i know this won't make you feel any better, but it doesn't sound like a company that i would want to work for. they might have done you a favor, their loss. kep plugging away and good luck.
    kschilk and taurusgunner like this.
    ARMY NAM VET, so proud!

Taurus 24/7 g2 9mm
    Taurus 38 special

Taurus PT111 G2 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    863 times
    I'm giving it a day or so until I cool off and then I'll send them a cordial letter. But the worst part was the handshake...which apparently means nothing today! I'm not THAT old and I remember my dad telling me how important a good handshake was. I guess I got had...
    darbo likes this.
    US Navy (2006-2011)
    Walther PPX - 9mm
    Kel-Tec P11 - 9mm
    Taurus PT-92 - 9mm
    GO FROGS!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46228 times
    Some executive has a long lost family member that needs a job. Or something like that. Sorry, hope something turns up for you.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    19085 times
    Don't take it personal, just another string of basic form letters designed to string a canidate along until a more favorable canidate comes along. More favorable means someone related to a current upper level partner.

What field are you looking to break into.
    GunsandNoses likes this.
    I have often heard that "Change is Good". If this is a fact, why does history tend to repeat itself so often. I'm guessing that it is so we can learn from our mistakes that change is good?

Member #
    Liked
    32876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HornedFroggerTCU View Post
    I'm giving it a day or so until I cool off and then I'll send them a cordial letter. But the worst part was the handshake...which apparently means nothing today! I'm not THAT old and I remember my dad telling me how important a good handshake was. I guess I got had...
    I'd hold off a little longer, since they're in the process of moving.......just to make sure their new address isn't some vacant lot or a PO box in White Plains, NY.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links