The Official Knife Thread , Show Your Knives ! - Page 3
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree1288Likes

Thread: The Official Knife Thread , Show Your Knives !

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    I carried a Spyderco Police model for years, but it's been replaced with a Byrd copy that's very nearly as good a knife - and way less expensive. Byrd is made in China under license by Spyderco - which I'm sure has something to do with the excellent quality of the Byrd when you consider its price. I always liked the Kabar Marine fighting knives, and I carried one in the 2/75. It worked from everything to cutting string to chopping down saplings for litters. A lot of big knives aren't great for more delicate work, but the 7" blade on the Kabar pretty much worked for everything. The Kabar is long gone, but I replaced it with a Cold Steel Recon Tanto, which is an excellent knife. And like all Cold Steel knives it's scary sharp. I also had a Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie, but at 14" overall length it was just too big for anything other than chopping down trees. I also have a Gerber Mark II that I've had forever, and a Gerber Mark I boot knife copy that's a sweety.

I'll add this too - I've been sharpening knives for a long time, and until recently my Lansky Sharpening System was the whip. I haven't even opened the box since I bought a Work Smart Knife and Tool Sharpener. It's without a doubt the best and fastest sharpener I've ever seen. Two minutes from very dull to razor sharp. I'm officially spoiled.

And here's some pics of my favorites that I found floating around on the web...

Classic Kabar

Byrd Cara Cara

Spyderco Police

Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie

Cold Steel Recon Tanto

Gerber Mark II

Gerber Mark I
    20361 likes this.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    10966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gwk1951 View Post
    My Father brought it back from South Korea after WWII. He was part of the Occupational Forces.
    The original webbing on the handle is long gone, I taped it up to keep the wood together.
    If you don't already know, if you call the Japanese Embassy they will send out an inspector to look at your katana and give you an estimate of its value, as well as if it is one of their 250+ national treasures that they lost during WWII and are offering rewards of over $1M each, depending on which national treasure it is, for the return. They said an untrained eye would most likely think the national treasure katanas were worthless because of their appearance.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I've been looking at those Byrd knives...they look great for the price!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    13419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    If you don't already know, if you call the Japanese Embassy they will send out an inspector to look at your katana and give you an estimate of its value, as well as if it is one of their 250+ national treasures that they lost during WWII and are offering rewards of over $1M each, depending on which national treasure it is, for the return. They said an untrained eye would most likely think the national treasure katanas were worthless because of their appearance.
    This is one of the mass produced swords for the grunts.
    It has no markings on the blade, which would be the tip off if was an important sword.

Member #
    Liked
    10966 times
    You never know until they look at it.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorman2034 View Post
    I've been looking at those Byrd knives...they look great for the price!
    If you look on the tang stamp of the Cara Cara they actually print the formula for the steel - 8Cr13Mov. Chromium, molybdenum, and vanadium. It's pretty decent steel when you compare it to most of the steel that comes out of China, and again I have no doubt that has something to do with Spyderco's involvement. It readily takes an edge, and it holds it pretty well too. I use mine for all kinds of stuff - including opening the mail which is a notorious blade duller - and it takes it all in stride. Great knife for about $25. It comes with a hollow ground blade, so unless you've got a hollow grinder that will have to be ground to a more conventional profile, which for me actually works better. A hollow ground blade is a bit on the delicate side, and more of a chisel point profile seems to last a lot longer. For the price I don't see how you can go wrong with a Cara Cara.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    13419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    You never know until they look at it.
    It is a generic run-of-the-mill sword.
    My Father and all his buddies each took one from a huge pile that were picked off the battlefields.
    Nobody important had this sword.

Member #
    Liked
    1746 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee View Post
    I carried a Spyderco Police model for years, but it's been replaced with a Byrd copy that's very nearly as good a knife - and way less expensive. Byrd is made in China under license by Spyderco - which I'm sure has something to do with the excellent quality of the Byrd when you consider its price. I always liked the Kabar Marine fighting knives, and I carried one in the 2/75. It worked from everything to cutting string to chopping down saplings for litters. A lot of big knives aren't great for more delicate work, but the 7" blade on the Kabar pretty much worked for everything. The Kabar is long gone, but I replaced it with a Cold Steel Recon Tanto, which is an excellent knife. And like all Cold Steel knives it's scary sharp. I also had a Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie, but at 14" overall length it was just too big for anything other than chopping down trees. I also have a Gerber Mark II that I've had forever, and a Gerber Mark I boot knife copy that's a sweety.

I'll add this too - I've been sharpening knives for a long time, and until recently my Lansky Sharpening System was the whip. I haven't even opened the box since I bought a Work Smart Knife and Tool Sharpener. It's without a doubt the best and fastest sharpener I've ever seen. Two minutes from very dull to razor sharp. I'm officially spoiled.

And here's some pics of my favorites that I found floating around on the web...

Classic Kabar

Byrd Cara Cara

Spyderco Police

Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie

Cold Steel Recon Tanto

Gerber Mark II

Gerber Mark I

Cool knives! I especially like the Spyderco and Cold Steel knives. IMO they are some of the top factory brands available!
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    Only problem I've ever had with Cold Steel was with Carbon V blades. Not really a problem, it's just that a lot of their blades used to be made from high carbon steel, which is not stainless. They usually require a little oil to keep 'em shiny. But as far as being sharp - my gawd that carbon V takes a hellatious edge. If you look at it too hard you're liable to get a cut.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Cold Steel carrier for life right here!

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links