Windows 8 Pro upgrade for only 39.99!! any hands on?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Windows 8 Pro upgrade for only 39.99!! any hands on?

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Windows 8 Pro upgrade for only 39.99!! any hands on?

I like new OS. I always think it's cool to see a new OS. Windows is offering an upgrade for 40.00 download or 70.00 for a disc mailed to you.

I might jump on it but what I want to know, has anybody had hands on. I understand its designed for tablet use and pc. What I dont know is how a OS made for tablet going to work on a PC.

Anybody have any real hands on. Please......as per forum history.......please no I heard from my babysitters , dad, brothers, cousin's, mom, great grandmother that it's not that good. I want 8, but maybe I dont need it. any help will be a big help! Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    956 times
    I already tried to download the newest. However the web site would not take my CC. May try later this weekend or during the week .

ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    33305 times
    My take on new operating systems is to wait a while, like six months to a year before I go plunging into the change over. Microsoft has never offered a new operating system upgrade that just upgraded smoothly and seamlessly with everything in your computer. It usually results in making some of your software obsolete, and maybe even some of your hardware like older printers or routers, etc. So, I'd rather wait and see what the public likes and dislikes and what does and doesn't work before I take the plunge and turn my steady and good working PC into a quivering, hinky, nightmare that only works with somethings and not with others.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1137 times
    I ran a developer's preview (trial version) earlier this year. It seemed to me to be quite a bit like Windows 7 with the window dressing (no pun intended) of a new desktop. That desktop was very confusing to me, hope they worked it out. Does it still require a MS email address, like Hotmail or Live Mail or whatever it's called now? Live ID, I think that's it. That was another minus. Too Apple-esque. GD control freaks, all these big companies.

edit - let me add, Win8 struck me as more a tablet OS than anything. The desktop is balky without a touch screen.
    Last edited by troutkiller; 10-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thanks for the effort Robby, plz let me know what you think. Going to buy a Kindle Fire today and if I drop another 40.00 on the OS, it could be a expensive day

Member #
    Liked
    543 times
    I'll pass.

I don't believe in being a beta tester

AFS
    GunsandNoses likes this.
    There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20289 times

Re: Windows 8 Pro upgrade for only 39.99!! any hands on?

(Meanwhile, ol' Gus here just plugs along with XP and watches the young bucks hash out the new systems.)
    GunsandNoses likes this.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    956 times
    Well, before any one else thinks I am a tester? I actually was a beta tester for MS, as far back as 1996. I was also a contract employee for a couple of years.

I still like their software, maybe not all the stuff they put out, but enough that I use it most of the time.

Not sure when I will get W 8 but as we have about 7 computers to work with here, some of them will be changed over. The Vista ones for sure,I HATE THAT OS.

If I can get enough ram, I might even change over one XP, fhat is still working OK.

GunsandNoses and troutkiller like this.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    We downloaded a Rc version at work. None of our accounting or law enforcement software would run on it. Se we won't be switching anytime soon. For what its worth I think the desktop blows chunks. jmho.

K
    troutkiller likes this.
    NRA Member
    Taurus PT111 G2
    Taurus PT945B
    Taurus PT92 x3
    24/7 Pro C DS 45ACP
    S&W SD9VE
    S&W M&P 15-22

Member #
    Liked
    22257 times
    I, Like Robby, have done alpha, beta and RC testing for years. I've played with the various OS's on both PC and server sides. I have to say that the windows 8 release is useful with a tablet or touch screen but crap for the average end user who got used to XP, Vista or 7. I'm currently doing testing on Server 2008 for application compatability and doing an eval on Server 2012. 2012 has a distinct advantage running on virtual machines, but almost pushes you into cloud based computing. Since I deal with Financial info, the cloud is not where we need to be heading. I do however like the ability to run ram up into 64 terabytes. Server 2012 also has significant reductions in terminal services which just doesn't work for us. I also haven't found a manufacturer that is producing 8 terabyte sticks of ram nor a motherboard manufacturer that would take said sticks.
    DodgersFan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links