Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Looking for work. Need help with resume information

BANNED
    Member #
    Liked
    1499 times

Looking for work. Need help with resume information

Since I found out that I can't get a transfer, yet my move to AZ in 3 weeks is written in stone, I face the reality of being unemployed, as does my wife.

We have been submitting numerous job applications on-line. I don't have a resume, I choose to enter the questions manually. However now I have some thoughts that raise serious questions.

I have been employed in a non-skilled job for the last 14 years. Job before that was driving a gasoline tanker (2 or 3 years).

Most employers only want to know recent history, that is why I only list those 2 jobs.

If I create a resume, I can list some past employment that shows different skills. Mostly driving jobs, and that isn't the field I'm looking for right now.

If I go way back, I can list the fact that I was a Police Officer with the NYPD. That might help getting a security type job, and/or show some diversity in what I have done in the past.

Here are my thoughts: #1, Employers may think "who cares what he did that many years ago? He probably forgot all that stuff by now."
    #2, If I list those jobs, they will see the dates of employment, and know that I've been on this planet for quite a few years (too old?)

When I moved to FL, I was about 45, and I just quit my job and moved. I knew we would find jobs quickly, and we did. Now I'm approaching 62 (my wife is a few years older), and I don't feel so condent anymore. As a matter of fact, I am downright scared to death. We need jobs, but let's face it, age discrimination is a reality.

Should we do the resume thing, or not?

Member #
    Liked
    1153 times
    I think you should do the resume'. As an employer, I like to see all job experience both past and present. It helps present a skill set for the entire person, not just what I am specifically looking for. You also show that you are not a job jumper. Employers are reluctant to invest money in a new employee if you are going to leave in a year or two. If you have only had 3 jobs in the last twenty years, then that shows stability in your job life which employers are looking for. Good luck to you and your wife on finding a job.
    CHL Holder
    NRA Member

"'I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me." - George Washington McClintock (1963) John Wayne

Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    I say yes, just my opinon. I was just reading 10 things to leave off your resume and will post it below. Hope you and your wife find jobs quickly. I know how it is, it took me two years to find a job, just was nothing out there. I use microsoft word to do my resume. There are several free resume makers on the web also.
    10 Things to Leave Off Your Resume - Yahoo! Finance
    rodfair, brojohn and btleslie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Do you have to move?

It would be better if you could find gainful employment first.
    Last edited by pistolman; 06-23-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1008 times
    +1 for what rcflyer says! Do the resume as employers nowadays want to see everything!! When the wife & I moved to Vegas we budgeted 1 year without jobs. Well it was August & we sat by the pool for a few weeks until I just couldn't take it anymore.I had to do something!! Went into airport security for a while. had no experience in it but the HR person liked that I only had 1 employer for 15 years plus I was self employed for 17 years. No criminal record & wanted to work. I went on to work for the TSA( go ahead & bash them I've heard it all) & got promoted to Screening Mgr. after 2 months. that lasted a few years until I decided I had enough & retired. Now I annoy people on gun forums! LOL

BW
    Rottiejake likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47138 times
    Create a few, tailored to where you are applying. Concentrate more on the areas beneficial to each employer. Non-skilled jobs (as you called it) often contain hidden skills that certain jobs need. Longevity, organization, and customer service are generally important to everyone.

Other jobs may require other key things employers are looking for:
    team worker vs. independent worker
    abilities to adapt to change vs. mundane repetitive work
    I am sure there are more but I think you get the point.

Good luck, in a difficult endeavor.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
    I say yes, just my opinon. I was just reading 10 things to leave off your resume and will post it below. Hope you and your wife find jobs quickly. I know how it is, it took me two years to find a job, just was nothing out there. I use microsoft word to do my resume. There are several free resume makers on the web also.
    10 Things to Leave Off Your Resume - Yahoo! Finance
    As a hirer, I agree with all the above...Also put in there any Military service, I give them a 70% advantage because of the built in benefits....training, discipline etc..
    If you are an old fart, as you are, emphasize what you have accomplished in the past...if you have saved a company money...shout it out! Don't tell them how to do it...just tell them you did it!
    It also helps to scout out the company on the net, regarding size, where they work etc....shows them you are interested.
    Good luck!
    brojohn likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1801 times
    The main thing is to show you have experience. It does NOT have to be a date-to-date listing. I have several resumes for different purposes, but the are all about my experience without being a timeline of employment history. If you did it, put it on the resume. If an potential employer wants a timeline, he will ask for it. Your experience and your skills are what you should highlight on your resume.

The linked article above about "Ten things to leave off your resume" says that hiring managers hate functional resumes, but I have been told to use them and to have a short chrono listing of employment history.

Here is some web info about writing a functional resume.

The two big questions are:
    How can your make money for your employer? (That's what he's interested in.)
    How can you convince him that you can make money for him? (That's why I think you should stress successful experience on your resume.)

Best wishes for your success!
    Last edited by Fibonacci; 06-23-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Handguns are hole-punchers, not sledgehammers! Fibonacci, TA member
    To preserve liberty... the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee
    "Before all else, be armed." Niccolo Machiavelli
    Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Mao Tse-Tung
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment

Member #
    Liked
    13419 times
    Well, since you are 62, apply for Social Security if you absolutely can't get a job.
    At least it's something, and would give you more time to job hunt.

brojohn likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2696 times
    +1 on social security. You will have to take a hit on the amount at 62- but you will have income-and you can get it right away.
    You can still work if you find a job. If the job is good enough- you can stop the ss and start paying into the program again.
    BW64 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links