Another man shoots himself in leg in my area
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Another man shoots himself in leg in my area

Member #
    Liked
    4902 times

Another man shoots himself in leg in my area

I always advocate reading the owners manual for a new weapon, so the guy gets kudos. But either the gun was already loaded and he didn't know it, or he loaded it while "learning" how the gun works. It doesn't say if he bought it from a dealer or privately, but ALWAYS CLEAR THE WEAPON WHEN HANDLING IT! Even if you saw the person handing you the weapon check it, check it yourself also.

m.roanoke.com-Botetourt County man shoots self while reading gun's manual
    LongTermGuy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    33303 times
    Always clear the weapon even if you were the last person to touch it. That should just become an automatic motor skill. If I lay a gun down on my bench, or on the dresser, or anywhere and loose contact with it for even a few moments, I always clear it or press check it immediately when I pick it up. It's just a habit, but it's a habit that save you a whole lot of heartache. When I hand a weapon to another person, I clear it first. When they hand a weapon to me, I clear it first, even if I just watched them do the same thing. It's just a habit. It's always the weapon you think is unloaded that accidently shoots someone. Always treat ever gun as if it were loaded, and if it's a new gun to you and you are not sure how everything works, for heavens sake get someone to walk you through it a couple of times before you take it on yourself. I'd also suggest that perhaps a public parking lot isn't the best place to break it down, either!
    Last edited by BigSkiff; 06-04-2012 at 08:48 AM.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    I handle my gun all day.. all the time. but when its chambered, It's a completely different feeling.. Power, fear, respect.. A firearms sitting on a counter or being passed back to me, gives me the same feeling of uneasiness. Till I check it and holster it.. Anyone who doesn't feel the change between an unloaded gun and a known loaded gun isn't educated in exactly what capability it possesses. That is truly scary. They say knowing is half the battle.. The other half? not shooting your foot off.
    mesadeldoug likes this.
    S&W Sigma 9
    Taurus Pt 24/7 Pro Ds .40
    Lee LM
    High Standard M4 5.56
    "Knowing is half the battle."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4902 times
    I remember when I bought my first gun, a pt145 from a friend. The guy I got it from, as well as another buddy there for the transaction, are former marines. They showed my the basic controls of the gun. But both knew I hadn't owned one before, and wouldn't be available when I was ready to go shoot foe the first time. They both stressed NOT to even load it, until I was at a range, with an experienced person. To be honest, I was kind of timid around it for a while. My buddy that went to the range win me the first time did a good job helping me. I did make him shoot it first so I could watch and see how the gun acted. I am glad I wasn't dumb with it at the beginning. Now whenever I let someone new shoot, I stress my safety rules and teach them the basics of the gun before ever putting the loaded mag into it.

All in all, this is just another example that you MUST be hyper-vigilant around firearms. There is always someone getting shot with an "unloaded" gun.

Member #
    Liked
    29765 times
    ...well, at least he shot himself and not some innocent bystander.
    Denton likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    This is getting a tiny bit off topic, but it relates to shooters not being familiar with a firearm they are handling. When I take a new shooter to the range, I ALWAYS begin with them handling the gun unloaded. I show them how to check the chamber and I show them very clearly that it's empty and that an empty gun is the one you want to handle the first time to get familiar with the controls and to work on their grip. Then I'll load 1 (ONE!) round and let them feel how it reacts when it's fired. I find this very gradual approach really puts new shooters at ease.

I was at an indoor range about a month ago and there was a small class that had come out to the range and the instructor and 1 student at a time were sharing the booth next to me. I'm pretty sure the instructor was handing these students a loaded handgun the first time they held one at a range booth. A woman in the group seemed just absolutely terrified... I felt for her, because she wasn't very comfortable and her instructor did not seem to be adapting his approach to her comfort-level.
    troutkiller and mesadeldoug like this.
    PT809
    PT709
    Keltec P3AT
    Ruger LCR 357
    Marlin Glenfield 60 .22
    Winchester 94 30-30
    Mossberg 195K-A 12 GA
    Savage Springfield 20 GA

MI CPL Holder

"My glass is half full, but I'm constantly checking it for cracks!"

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    on my first bbgun my father stated to me adamantly, every gun is loaded till u see otherwise, treat em all like thier loaded, probley wont shoot yrself or someone else
    mesadeldoug and ozzy like this.
    xsnoman "Life is short, get yourself a big bite of it and chew."

Member #
    Liked
    2508 times
    I wish....oh how I wish.....they would always list the make and model of the gun in the accidental or negligent discharges.

Some guns are are not made for everybody. Some people should never handle a gun.
    Last edited by brojohn; 06-04-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    GunsandNoses and mesadeldoug like this.

Member #
    Liked
    22538 times
    Somehow I don't think reading the manual caused the negligent discharge.
    GunsandNoses likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7408 times
    4 Rules for life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links