Identity theft!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Identity theft!!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8611 times
    I had my information stolen with several Hundred thousands from Country wide. They paid for credit protection for two years and so far noting. I did have someone say I bought a car for a old folks home but I filled a police report and the collection co went away. As they found out they could be held liable for fraud. Always file a police report its the best friend you will have.
    rodfair likes this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

BANNED
    Member #
    Liked
    1499 times
    Glad to see this topic. I was just about to post a question about it.

I've had similar things happen a handful of times. Never resulted in anything out of my pocket, but the stress level goes up, and of course it's aggrivating as hell.

I was considering getting "Life-Lock" or one of those deals. They even have an NRA discount. Anybody have it? Know about it, or have any opinions or ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    48165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottiejake View Post
    Glad to see this topic. I was just about to post a question about it.

I've had similar things happen a handful of times. Never resulted in anything out of my pocket, but the stress level goes up, and of course it's aggrivating as hell.

I was considering getting "Life-Lock" or one of those deals. They even have an NRA discount. Anybody have it? Know about it, or have any opinions or ideas?
    Absolutely file a police report, it's a paper trail that'll show your creditor's you've had your identity stolen. Believe me, they know, they see it happen every day, but if you don't dot your I's and cross your T's they'll try and stick you with it.

I've had Lifelock for years, I had to call them and tell them my identity was stolen. They have a "plus" membership or something of that nature now. They monitor your bank account. Before, they monitored the three credit reporting agencies, looking for application's and credit checks for buying Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It didn't work with bank fraud, as they found out in my case. FWIW, I still have LifeLock, but I'm not confident, they'd catch these electronic thieves.
    We the People...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27365 times
    Clark Howard, of Clark howard.com fame says you can do all the things that lifelocl does yourself at no cost. It is on his website...along with a gazillion other things. He is also a great friend of vets, offers totally FREE advice on a one to one basis with his staff. One thing I recommend is blocking credit card applications. One phone call and it blocks them for 5 years.

Clark Howard: Save More, Spend Less and Avoid Rip-offs | www.clarkhoward.com
    Last edited by rodfair; 03-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    13220 times
    Consumers' Reports magazine did an evaluation, and could NOT recommend those identity theft products:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...heft/index.htm
    rodfair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    319 times
    I had mine stolen in October. It was a card tied to a loan through US Bank. I never activated it. We had to pay on it or we would be charged interest, total BS. We went to local US Bank and I made the personal banker cut all cards tied to the account. We ended up getting most of the money back maybe a buck less. Have since paid off account with US Bank and no longer do business with them.

NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    On top of what you just did, I recommend to all to do the following:

1 Put a credit freeze on your credit. IE Experian.COM. They will then automatically notify the other bureaus.
    2 Go to the Federal Trade Commission and file a report. That is more statistical, but funding is needed to work these cases.
    3 realize 1 in 4 are the victims of some sort now days. My wife had checks forged 2years back for over 13k. It pisses one off!
    4 karma

Mike
    "If you knew you were going to fight for your life tomorrow, would you change the way you trained today?"

Member #
    Liked
    3063 times
    Miami is a cluster****!!! I called Miami PD and was told the store it happened at was not in their jurisdiction. They gave me the number for Miami Gardens PD. Miami Gardens said it was Miami PD's jurisdiction, when I said they told me it wasn't, he said "Well, try Miami-Dade" and gave me a number for them. Called them and after an hour they called me back and said it wasn't their jurisdiction either!

I guess that means if I go down there and beat the crap out of the POS that did this, nobody will respond to the call and I'll get away with it! I get the impression Miami really doesn't care.
    This is the land of opportunity not entitlement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links