Odd things happening here, maybe someone else here has an idea what it is
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Odd things happening here, maybe someone else here has an idea what it is

Member #
    Liked
    2221 times

Odd things happening here, maybe someone else here has an idea what it is

Last week my future daughter-in-law received two postal money orders in the mail. I checked on-line and they looked almost good, almost bad.

She went to the bank, they told her the money orders were good but wanted to deposit them for a week or so first. So she went to a check cashing place (several actually) and was told they were fakes. Finally she hit the Post Office (which I told her to do FIRST!) and sure enough, fake.

Now she had not and is not sending anything to anyone or buying anything. So I fail to see the point of sending her two fake money orders for a total of almost two grand.

By the way I ran the name and address on the money orders and the address was for a pet store in OR. She doesn't have any pets. The post office said this is not the first time they have run into that name either.

Then today she received a package from UPS. This package contained two t-shirts which she had not ordered from a company called New Money. This company is an entertainment (music) company. She called the company and talked to them. They had no clue why the shirts went to her, where they were supposed to go or basically anything. They did say she was not being charged any money tho.

What the heck???

Sarge
    Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. -- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live. Robert A. Heinlein

Are you casting asparagus on my cooking? Curly Howard

Member #
    Liked
    29771 times
    I think I saw this episode of "The Twilight Zone" in 1961...
    JimmyA and Jake3501 like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    1137 times
    It's a scam! Beware, identity theft comes in some creative ways now. Sounds like someone has her name and address.

Google

http://www.419legal.org/419-fraud-di...am.html?drgn=1
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17644 times
    Yep, sounds like someone's phishing for sure. She needs to call the credit companies (Experion, etc) asap and have her profile flagged. I'm *still* dealing with the aftermath of having my ID stolen over 5 years ago. Between the IRS/WI Dept of Revenue/Credit bureaus etc etc it has not been an enjoyable experience and has cost me literally thousands of $$ in money/lost wages/stolen tax returns, the .gov is considering giving me a new SSN because of this garbage.

ID theft is nothing to screw around with, I know if I every catch the Mexicans that stole my ID I'll more than likely be going to jail

(and before anyone calls me racist...yes...I know for a fact that at least 4 Mexicans stole my ID...the police department and feds have pictures)

Member #
    Liked
    14974 times
    Have her check her credit cards and bank statements closely (and daily if she has online access). I moved from Houston to Atlanta back in the early 90's. One day I received a box of fishing lures I did not order. My next statement for my company credit card I got had two charges for these and a few other things all the rest going to my former address. It seems whoever moved to my apartment in Houston got my statements when the ever efficient US Postal Service did not forward my mail and went to town with the number. I got the charges dropped and got to keep the lures (bonus).
    Always remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle your targets
    Reduce them to shreds
    Reuse shoot them more than once
    Recycle whatever is left over

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. Stupid is the refusal to do anything about it.

Member #
    Liked
    33303 times
    Yup it sounds like a scam. Someone may call her and say they accidently sent her a package by mistake and they would like her credit card number so they can credit her account. They may also asks for the bad money orders back, in the hopes that you will have tried to deposit them and your bank information will be on the backs of the checks. I would report any calls or emails of that nature to your local PD, and not reply to these folks in any way shape or form.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27111 times
    Definately report it to the local PD. Get a case #, lock it away! That way she has proof that she has reported the problem. If/when it turns round and bites her in the ...well you know where.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3000 times
    https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

You are legally allowed one free report per year.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    I used to regularly get the "Dead person with my last name leaving millions" from Nigeria. Once just to amuse myself, I replied, and it took them about a week or so to figure out I was scamming them. I guess they put me on a "Do not scam" list. They were a cheap amusement to me.
    btleslie likes this.
    "Do I got to kill you to prove I like you?"

Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Whoa boys & girls ... never deposit a check from an unknown source. If you get a check for any significant amount of money, that you know you're not entitled to, you will deserve the grief you bring upon yourself.

There is an old saying that, "You can't cheat an honest man." Because all successful scams work, because the pigeon wants & thinks they're getting something for nothing.

Even something as innocuous as receiving a refund check for $8.47 from a utility or store you may have dealt with. It's an old trick. The amount is so small, you think nothing of depositing it. Once you do, the person who sent you the check, now knows where you bank & they have your account number.

Add a date of birth, 4 digits from your soc/sec # & you're stretching out your neck saying, "Cut here." Remember, most bunko artist count on your dishonesty and/or foolishness. Don't accept money you're not entitled to and don't give out any information, unless you really, really have to.

Just because a store or a doctors office asks you for your social security number ... that doesn't mean you have to give it to them. Don't even give out the last 4 digits.
    NRA Patron Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

A nation of sheep, breeds a government of wolves.

Obama Care: Call us when you are shovel ready.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links