In Texas - water will become more valuable than oil.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012
    Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    824 times

In Texas - water will become more valuable than oil.

I first made that prediction more than 30 years ago. Every year, Texas rain totals make me look more and more like a prophet.

Average annual rainfall in my native northeast Texas is almost 60 inches. Average for the state of Texas is less than 30 inches. I have lived places where the annual average total was in single digits.

I never thought about Texas having a water shortage until I started editing the Lake Livingston Progress in 1977. Even way back then, the lake levels had dropped so much several marinas found their boat docks 50 feet or more from the edge of the water. Today, it would be more like 100 yards and the docks have been moved.

The problem became even more obvious after I got married and started taking trips from Pecos to the Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras area.

We crossed Lake Amistad near Del Rio and the Pecos River near where it empties into the Rio Grande.

Amistad was lower than normal, but still had lots of water. The Pecos River at the "high bridge" was wall to wall on the canyon. People were fishing and water skiing. Over the years, I watched the lake and the river get lower and lower.

Soon, the lake was dotted by islands and peninsulas and the river no longer filled the canyon.

Today, the lake has trees where there used to be water and the Pecos River is a trickle that sometimes dries up completely before it reaches the Rio Grande.

That once great river is also disappearing. It now ENDS long before the Gulf of Mexico.

And things are just going to get worse.

If push comes to shove, our civilization can survive without oil. We cannot survive without water.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    465 times

Re: In Texas - water will become more valuable than oil.

From wiki on the Rio Grande - "Navigation was active during much of the nineteenth century, with over 200 different steamboats operating between the river's mouth close to Brownsville, and Rio Grande City, Texas."

As far as the Rio Grande not reaching the sea. Is that still the case? It looks like it does from Google Maps. I know at one time there was a sandbar blocking it but I read the spring flow washed it out to sea a few years ago.

It is always fascinating to see the irony in the world. One area can't get a drop of rain and a few hundred miles in another direction there is flooding. Widlfires in one place and snow in another.
    "You can't handle the truth!" - Jack Nicholson

Member #
    Liked
    824 times

I haven't been exposed to border enforcement in a couple of years, but the last I heard there was 100 yards or so of beach between the Gulf and the end of the Rio Grande. The Border Patrol was using ATVs to keep an eye on it.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

The Pecos River has seen some improvement. New Mexico finally started releasing some water it was ordered to many years ago and a program to "eradicate" the salt cedar lining the river corridor has brought about at least a 25 percent increase in water flow (I wish we could eradicate the cedar/juniper that sucks my region of Texas dry).
    But I am sure there are still places around Pecos where one can step across that once great river.
    Guns, Harley's and Old Cars.
    PT 945 only Taurus

Member #
    Liked
    806 times

This isn't only true in Texas but really world wide. Fresh water will be the next generations major problem. This is according to the Department of Defenses recent paper predicting the future.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    2221 times

Wish we could send our excess to ya. Hate this time of the year almost as bad as winter. Start getting soggy and moldy.

Sarge
    Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. -- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live. Robert A. Heinlein

Are you casting asparagus on my cooking? Curly Howard

Member #
    Liked
    35178 times

we aren't too bad in north Texas, only a couple inches off normal and that is just an average so we should be within the standard deviation. I was talking to some west Texas farmers... now that is a different story!
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    824 times

El Paso has had no precip since a snow and ice storm in February.

Member #
    Liked
    1058 times

Here in DeWitt County, what I would call the upper northeast corner of South Texas, we have had 7.5" of rain. 1.5" on Thursday and 4" fell in one day on January, none of that 4" stayed. So 3.5" since the first of the year.

Water is very important, you see these "water districts" setting up in every county to control the wells and their output. I'm on the fence with another control in place but there have been several attempts by individuals and corporations to buy land with the intent of selling water and these districts have eliminated or limited it.

Did you know that you don't sell property now without considering future wind rights. Just like water and minerals. Crazy.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27022 times

A recent reportr for Florida predicted that some parts would run out of water in 2025,
    Nobody seems to give a hoot though!
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links