Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Questions for hurricane veterans

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22302 times

Questions for hurricane veterans

I unexpectedly became the owner of a used Kawasaki GA 1800 A portable generator this morning. Started first pull, even after having sat untouched for two years. I replaced the fuel line, cleaned the carb bowl and fuel switch trap, and cleaned the air filter. It runs like a champ, and I count myself blessed to have it stored in my garage this evening.

I am retired from 32 years in construction rental equipment, and so I know the rules for generators, such as don't hook it up to a house electric system if you don't have an isolation switch, don't load the gen with more than it can handle at any given time, don't try to increase the power output by revving the engine beyond 3600 rpm (I can't tell you how many times customers did this), and so on.

Couple of questions. First: what kind of fuel stabilizer do you recommend? The tank was empty, I added just enough fresh gasoline to see if it runs. Before I fill it I want to add some stabilizer, fill the tank, then let it run for a while to completely flush the carburetor.

Next: Do you shut your generator engines down for storage with fuel in the carburetor, or do you close the fuel switch and let it evacuate?

Finally: How often do you start the engine when it's in long term storage?

Anything I missed? Lemme know.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Member #
    Liked
    23192 times
    Stabilize with seafoam and as far as the carb, run it dry. If you can, after replacing things see if you can run only actual gasoline in it and not that ethanol mixed gas you put in your car. That will prevent destroying the plastic and rubber parts of the fuel system.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    439 times
    Sta-bil fuel stabilizer can't be beat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I store gas in 5 gallon plastic gas "cans" and put a nice shot of Sta-bil in each one, maybe and ounce or two per 5 gallons. I have 4 of these I rotate thru. I use them in the mowers and frequently will top off one of the cars to empty a gas can so we can get some freasher gas in there if it makes it say 4 months. Never had any issues with running this gas in the generator, car, mowers, etc...

I will start and run my generator every 2 weeks and let it run for a good 10 minutes. It has an economy mode, so I'll let it run wide open and on the economy mode. When I'm done with the "test", I shut off the gas and let it run dry. Sometimes if I'm using an electric tool in the yard I'll hook it up to create a load. If for whatever reason I'm using the generator I don't always do the gas shut off, I'll just turn it off. Mine is Champion inverter/generator and runs great. Changing the oil is a pain but it is portable and does what I need.

If you plan on using this at the house primarily it is always a good idea to ground them as per instructions, make sure it's far enough from the house that fumes don't get ya and make sure your power cord is rated for the load.
    Last edited by mtn_chef; 09-14-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2104 times
    Sta bil marine 360 goes in my non ethanol gas that I use in my small engines.
    I crank and run my gas emergency 5500 gen twice a year. I run it for 30mins or so while I cut the back yard grass. I shut the fuel off and let it run until it quits. I don't keep much gas in the gas tank. 1/2 gallon or less. The gas tank is plastic four or five gallon tank.
    I add 16oz new gas each time I crank it. Its worked this way for seven or eight years.
    Dukakis by a landslide
    I did not have relations with that woman
    If you like your plan..
    [email protected]tion
    What do you know Joe, I forget.

Member #
    Liked
    2449 times
    You have it all right there.. Sta-bil, real gasoline without ethanol, are the most important. I run stuff every three months, 15 to 20 minutes, run carb dry.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    8590 times
    I put Sta-bil in all my gas cans, and always use the highest octane available. The best additive I've found for either two or four cycle engines is Mechanic-in-a-Bottle. Things will be getting worse for engines in the future because Trump just authorized the use of 15% Ethanol - by far, the most STUPID thing he's done since taking office.

Member #
    Liked
    917 times
    Plan to change oil per the hour rate recommended by the manufacturer.

Member #
    Liked
    439 times
    Where on earth do i get real gas. No one in Colorado has it that I have found.

Member #
    Liked
    2104 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreddie30.06 View Post
    Where on earth do i get real gas. No one in Colorado has it that I have found.

Outboard boat motor gas, Race track gas. A lake marine or drag strip speed shop. Google it as there is an app. for finding non ethanol gas.
    Dukakis by a landslide
    I did not have relations with that woman
    If you like your plan..
    [email protected]tion
    What do you know Joe, I forget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links