Questions for hurricane veterans - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Questions for hurricane veterans

Member #
    Liked
    23192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreddie30.06 View Post
    Where on earth do i get real gas. No one in Colorado has it that I have found.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Try this
    https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CO
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46723 times
    From GasBuddy.com which is a great app to put on your phone to find the cheapest gas in any area:

"The GasBuddy team routinely receives inquiries from motorists on where they can find non-ethanol blended gasoline.Set at 9 billion gallons in 2008, the required number of gallons of renewable fuel blends by 2022 is 36 billion gallons, according to the EPA website. The enhanced goal was put in place in as part of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, though the volume of domestically produced fossil fuels has skyrocketed in the U.S. over the past six years."

https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/ethanol-free-gasoline-disappearing-fast#:~:text=The%20GasBuddy%20team%20routinely%20r eceives,find%20non%2Dethanol%20blended%20gasoline.
    ShtnBlanks.22 likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14720 times
    Since ‘98 I’ve been using a 7.5 KW with a Briggs twin. We live at the end of the power line, which means we have been out of electricity when no one else was. Several years ago we spent 10 days running the gen set 24 hours a day. I would top off the 5 gallon tank when I left in the morning and and top it off again before I went to bed. It never took all of a 5 gallon can. I use fuel from the gas pumps and 2 oz. of Sta-bil per 5 gallon can. We keep 20-30 gallon on hand which we use for all of our other gas guzzlers, 4- wheelers, mowers, weed eaters ......
    Sorry back to the gen set. I start it every fall and run it for 20 minutes then turn off the fuel and let it run till it dies. Air filter gets checked and the oil and filter are changed by the hour meter or every 3 years whichever comes first.

The biggest job is pulling it through snow drifts to get it to the meter. She says I’m to old to do that anymore.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6068 times
    If you are hooking it up do not backfeed thru a dryer plug or similar setup.
    It can and has killed the guys restoring power. In Florida during hurricane Charley I knew one line crew who had lost a guy. One of the other crew I knew guys on told me they would pull in to where they had to work and shut down the trucks to listen for generators. They would then request the people shut them down. If they didn't they wouldn't restore that area.
    The one crew lead I knew had a guy tell him he wouldn't shut it down as he had a freezer of fish he wasn't gonna lose. He kicked the guys generator into the pool.
    Get a transfer switch, it's worth it.

Member #
    Liked
    439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    Outboard boat motor gas, Race track gas. A lake marine or drag strip speed shop. Google it as there is an app. for finding non ethanol gas.
    Oh wait a second. My truck is diesel.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47769 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreddie30.06 View Post
    Where on earth do i get real gas. No one in Colorado has it that I have found.

There are some websites that will point you toward it. WAWA if you have it in your area is starting to carry it at many of their locations. I guess I am lucky, because in my area (boating community) more stations than not carry it.

It is all I use in my generator, boat motor, and gasoline powered tools.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47769 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I unexpectedly became the owner of a used Kawasaki GA 1800 A portable generator this morning. Started first pull, even after having sat untouched for two years. I replaced the fuel line, cleaned the carb bowl and fuel switch trap, and cleaned the air filter. It runs like a champ, and I count myself blessed to have it stored in my garage this evening.

I am retired from 32 years in construction rental equipment, and so I know the rules for generators, such as don't hook it up to a house electric system if you don't have an isolation switch, don't load the gen with more than it can handle at any given time, don't try to increase the power output by revving the engine beyond 3600 rpm (I can't tell you how many times customers did this), and so on.

Couple of questions. First: what kind of fuel stabilizer do you recommend? The tank was empty, I added just enough fresh gasoline to see if it runs. Before I fill it I want to add some stabilizer, fill the tank, then let it run for a while to completely flush the carburetor.

Next: Do you shut your generator engines down for storage with fuel in the carburetor, or do you close the fuel switch and let it evacuate?

Finally: How often do you start the engine when it's in long term storage?

Anything I missed? Lemme know.
    Sounds like you are on the right track. As stated use ethanol free gas if you have it in your area.

I have a dual fuel generator, propane and gas. I primarily use mine with propane (short periods of time, and to test run) and reserve the gas for emergency or long term use. I use STA-BIL 22214 in my gas when I fill the portable tanks. When I do run gas in the generator I will cut the fuel supply and let it run until it uses up the residual gas. Then I will start it and let it run with propane for a couple of minutes. I disconnect the fuel line from the generator and let the remaining gas drain into a portable gas tank.

I don't fill my portable gas tanks until a threat is near by. If I do fill the portable tanks I will let them sit until the end of hurricane season, then I use the gas up in portable tanks in what ever, until it is gone.
    TrucksNCoffee and william like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    439 times
    Sta-bil would do the job just fine. No need to buy special fuel as almost all equipment has flexible parts that would withstand the corrosive effects of ethanol.
    The only effected equipment may be some older equipment that has rubber parts as ethanol will eat rubber.
    For this info I talked to a friend of mine who used to work for a major Japanese motorcycle manufacturer as a technical writer and traveling tech support for the mechanics at dealerships and my nephew who is a petroleum engineer.

Member #
    Liked
    2414 times
    Sta-Bil has a (newer) version of fuel stabilizer that also has ethanol protection.
    It is brown instead of red.
    STA-BIL (22295 360 Protection Ethanol Treatment and Fuel Stabilizer - Prevents Corrosion - Prevents Ethanol Damage - Keeps Fuel Fresh for Up to 12 Months
    Sta-Bil also has one for diesel.

Member #
    Liked
    707 times
    Dual fuel for me also, I keep fresh gas, use Stabil, but keep the gas tank empty. Will run on propane until out, then go to gas.

I don't keep gas in the snow blower either, too many hours spent cleaning varnish out of carbs. You say the tank will rust without gas in it? Maybe, it rusts with gas in it also. Filter takes care of light rust.

2 cycle carbs ( chainsaw, blower, weedwacker) are really a pain, I get the gas out of them if more than 3 months.

I am not nuts about premium gas.

Ethanol in our fuel is a scam to support corn farmers, not an efficient way of making ethanol and drives up feed and food prices, just my opinion. Maybe the data will change but current technology it is much less costly to make alchohol from sugar.

But if it keeps the OPEC balance right, OK.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links