Massad Ayoob article on riots, mobs, and potential for violence in mass gatherings - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Massad Ayoob article on riots, mobs, and potential for violence in mass gatherings

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    Excellent post Zen.

I agree with most that was said.

Logic would say that if you are in a crowd doing bad things, get out of that crowd. The "innocent protestors" have to bare some responsibility here. Most know that they are being used for cover. Many are complicit for being there and cheer on the illegal and destructive activities and are chanting subversive and insurrective slogans that they agree with, even if they do not pick up a frozen water bottle or brick, light a fire, loot, or break windows etc. When they are obstructing traffic, terrorizing people, not disbanding, protesting without permits, breaking noise ordinances, and trespassing they are still breaking the law. Nothing good happens after a certain time at night. If you think yourself a peaceful protestor, go home as soon as it gets late or crimes start to happen.

Still Ayoob is right where it counts.

So why are we having these protests and riots anyway?

Logic also dictates that these suspects that die at the hands of the police bare some responsibility for not OBEYING and COMPLYING. Those two words would solve over 99% of bad outcomes. Massive failure by everyone not to shout that message continuously if LIVES MATTER.

Statistics also bare out that there are not thousands or even hundreds of unarmed blacks "murdered" by police every year. Millions of encounters per year by police and less than a couple dozen deaths of "unarmed" perpetrators. Most have criminal records, are violent, are on drugs and alcohol, resisting arrest, putting officers lives in danger, and the majority not black. But facts are irrelevant. So are the lost lives. It is not about that. Not for the ones pulling the strings.

The BLM and Antifa trees are poisonous. It's fruit is poisonous. Figuratively burn those trees down. While on your knees pray and then plant a clean seed, a seedling that will grow up a strong and pure tree that deals in racism and inequality or police brutality or police training etc. Now everyone get off your knees. That form of expression has been tainted and does not sit well with many, especially the religious.

This will not be made all better with a different President. I fear this will get worse.

The Hat Creek Cattle Company:
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit"
    Hey, it's whatever Gus...or Larry wanted it to mean! I know what it means to me.
    Last edited by right2arms; 09-08-2020 at 03:12 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    9634 times
    Good article. My philosophy, avoid contact if you can. If you cannot, meet it with overwhelming violence. I know that sounds rash and sounds macho and all that other stuff, but I believe in the Cooperesque tactic of simplicity. I did my time in a combat zone. I'm in no way wanting, nor prepared physically or mentally to return to the past. However, I am mentally prepared to protect my family, loved ones and my self. Problem is that I'm pretty sure that there are others on the other side of the fence who are mentally prepared to cause great harm and pain.. I think we make a mistake if we think that it's going to be easy to fight our way out of a gang of violent protestors/looters who have the mob mentality and incitement. Rather than prolonging the fight, I believe very strongly in creating a path for escape.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    917 times
    Good stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    That was a waist of time. He is wrong on his take on things. I think he has mistaken a cesspool for an ocean.
    A bunch swimming nonsense.
    Can you be specific on what you think he said that was wrong?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46723 times
    Great article, thanks for posting!
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    24460 times
    I wonder if the Rittenhouse defense will call him . . .
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    9476 times
    He would be a arrow in their quiver.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46723 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    I wonder if the Rittenhouse defense will call him . . .
    He may be called as an expert witness for the defense. Along with the guy who got his brain kicked in in PDX....Reginald Denny should also be on the list.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    1160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum View Post
    Good article. My philosophy, avoid contact if you can. If you cannot, meet it with overwhelming violence. I know that sounds rash and sounds macho and all that other stuff, but I believe in the Cooperesque tactic of simplicity. I did my time in a combat zone. I'm in no way wanting, nor prepared physically or mentally to return to the past. However, I am mentally prepared to protect my family, loved ones and my self. Problem is that I'm pretty sure that there are others on the other side of the fence who are mentally prepared to cause great harm and pain.. I think we make a mistake if we think that it's going to be easy to fight our way out of a gang of violent protestors/looters who have the mob mentality and incitement. Rather than prolonging the fight, I believe very strongly in creating a path for escape.
    Your post reminded me of something my father said many, many years ago: 'Always walk away ......... but if you can't, hit them as hard and as fast as you can' ......... first.

My son is a handler, on his business card (a picture of his cruiser and his K-9) he has a quotation (Author in question): "..People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf..".
    Last edited by kerk; 09-12-2020 at 06:17 PM.
    I can legally defend myself against bad guys, but there is no legal defense against bad guys with badges.
    I do not kill animals, nor do I pay other people to kill them for me.

Member #
    Liked
    3962 times
    A pastor has said, "Satan moves most easily under the cover of chaos."

Nothing is more chaotic than the kind of mob Ayoob was talking about. My takeaway of that Ayoob interview is that there are so many wrong things happening in such a mob that there is no good single strategy for "handling" one. The best strategy is to avoid it.

And 99% of the time, such mobs can be avoided.

From the other side, organizers of protest events are failing to use the safeguards that Civil Rights Era activists used--such as carefully vetting, training, and regulating their own protest protest participants instead of just calling out for a big crowd.
    MoKen, WoodyUSSLUCE, kerk and 2 others like this.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links