Calling All Mechanics! Brake line leaking at master cyl connection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Calling All Mechanics! Brake line leaking at master cyl connection

Member #
    Liked
    943 times

Calling All Mechanics! Brake line leaking at master cyl connection

The leak is slight. When I slide my fingers underneath the bottom of the master cylinder near where the brake line attaches to the master cyl itself, my fingers are wet/slick with brake fluid. No drip drip but more of a seeping. This master cylinder was just installed by my local mechanic and my vehicle (93 Ford F150) has been back twice for him to get the leak fixed. There are 2 lines that attach and this is happening with only one line (the line nearest to the firewall). Nothing is stripped nor is the fitting cockeyed. Has a distortion occurred due to over tightening?
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Member #
    Liked
    1160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadabob View Post
    Has a distortion occurred due to over tightening?
    Could be. My son called me to help with a slow leak he was having on a new flex pipe that he had installed on his water heater. When I saw it I was pretty sure what my 'buff' son had done. ...... Yup, too much muscle. Took it off, replaced the new gasket he had crushed, added a little plumbers grease for good measure, put on till snug, continued to snug until drip stopped, end of story.

In your case I don't know what the mechanism is, but if threads are involved they can always get stripped.
    45 Forever, nevadabob and jtg452 like this.
    I can legally defend myself against bad guys, but there is no legal defense against bad guys with badges.
    I do not kill animals, nor do I pay other people to kill them for me.

Member #
    Liked
    5406 times
    The brake line flare could be cracked or nicked.
    Or the line nut is damaged or was/is cross threaded.
    Or the master cylinder is defective in some way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36428 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    The brake line flare could be cracked or nicked.
    Or the line nut is damaged or was/is cross threaded.
    Or the master cylinder is defective in some way.
    To expand on this, it's not uncommon to mismatch the type of line flare. Double-flare and bubble-flare are not interchangeable. Also, the ports are prob'ly mixed on the MC, one is metric and the other is standard......it's a Ford thing. Some of those metric and standard line nuts are real close in size and pitch, easy to mistake one for the other. If crossed, they'll thread in and tighten but the line won't seal.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Lifetime member of FOOTSS (Fraternal Order Of The Sore Shoulder).

Member #
    Liked
    9760 times
    I actually had a rebuilt master cylinder that I put on a customers car years ago leak from the body of the master cylinder itself. I had to clean the master cylinder off and watch it very closely with a light while I had pressure held on the pedal. It was a tiny pinhole that was very hard to spot. I have only seen that 1 time though but it is a possibility.
    nevadabob and CaptainMorgan like this.
    "This is not a world in which one can turn the other cheek. Doing so does not avoid violence, but rather encourages it. The bad guys threaten, but they do not seem to want to get hurt. They should be taught that their presumed victim is more dangerous than they are. This is not a matter of weapons, but of will."

- Jeff Cooper, April 2005

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Take it back to the place that installed it.
    PT-92, 945, G2C, 9mm, 66, 605 & 45 LC Gaucho; just to name a few!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12695 times
    I think Kschilk above nailed it, I had the exact issue with mis-matched fittings after my mechanic installed a master and lines. I took it back, but he never would admit he made a mistake, and wanted to charge me for other parts and brake fluid work. I said no thanks, and found the issue myself. As described above wrong nuts were used. It was an early 90's ford , can't remember I have owned so many pickups.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    4469 times
    Wow, what a great place, this TA.net thing.

Thanks to all the guys for reaching out to help the OP.

This just confirms my suspicions that gun people are some of the best people you'll ever meet.
    nevadabob and CaptainMorgan like this.

Member #
    Liked
    943 times
    Thanks for the responses! I'm leaning towards the culprit being some type of non-standardized Ford master cylinder that on the offending brake line port it is mis-matched as kschilk alluded to. I'm using the same brake lines as was brought to my mechanic when I drove the truck there. The only thing different is the replacement NAPA master cylinder.
    I'll be bringing the truck back to him right after the Labor Day holiday.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Member #
    Liked
    36428 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadabob View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I'm leaning towards the culprit being some type of non-standardized Ford master cylinder that on the offending brake line port it is mis-matched as kschilk alluded to. I'm using the same brake lines as was brought to my mechanic when I drove the truck there. The only thing different is the replacement NAPA master cylinder.
    I'll be bringing the truck back to him right after the Labor Day holiday.
    Anymore, it's not at all uncommon to get a part that's boxed wrong. This isn't necessarily the fault of the vendor or parts store and more often than not, another customer is to blame. Ford is notorious for changing parts mid-year, there are often a few to several different types of the same components on the same year vehicle. Sometimes I swear that whatever folks put out on their curb on recycling day, ends up on their assembly line the next morning. If you're lucky, they will specify a code that you can match to the vehicle's line sheet (usually a sticker in the glove box or trunk) to verify it's the right part but I've seen times when they were wrong.

When in question, I do what most shops do and have the parts guys send me every possible option so I can match them up, then send back the ones I don't use. Unfortunately, if you unbox more than one at the same time, it's easy to confuse them and send back the unused parts in the wrong box. I'm always super careful but I don't doubt I'm guilty of doing this more than once myself. I recently swapped-out a MC on a Chevy 3500 and there were 5 different ones listed, three options if it has hydroboost and two others if it's vacuum boost. I put new spring packs on a Ford F150 a while back and luckily I was able to determine which set it took by the spring code because there were seven different possibilities for that truck.

With some things nowadays, there's more time involved in researching the parts than in actually doing the work. That's time that most of us eat and it can take a job from profitable, to barely break-even or even a loss. It's aggravating and I know several mechs that are either getting out of the business or already have, mainly because of the parts hassles.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Lifetime member of FOOTSS (Fraternal Order Of The Sore Shoulder).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links