What are you reading?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    861 times

What are you reading?

Just about finished with 'The Forgotten Soldier', by Guy Sajer, who at 17 was a WWII German soldier on his way to the Russian front in 1943.

The book is purely one infantryman's record of his experience, nothing strategic or political.

Being homeless, and sleeping on the streets of New York in January, would be 'living like a king' compared to his experience.

One picture that he paints, of the many, that sticks with me, is the absolute terror of an enemy artillery barrage, in which even a survivable miss can bury you alive in the bottom of your foxhole.

Highly recommended.
    I can legally defend myself against bad guys, but there is no legal defense against bad guys with badges.
    I do not kill animals, nor do I pay other people to kill them for me.

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    Liked
    27596 times

Re: What are you reading?

Sounds like a great read! Thanks for the recommendation.

Myself, I'm currently proof-reading the galleys to my new book, which is entitledA Soldier's Saga. I'm excited about this particular book, as it will be available in e-book format, as well as in soft cover.

Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

Member #
    Liked
    6854 times

Right now, I am reading this thread!
    But seriously, that does sound like a very interesting read.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry does not create solutions; they create customers!

Live an honest & decent life; & enjoy it. It does have an expiration date!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
    Member #
    Liked
    25638 times

Moments ago I was reading a book on my Kindle device, the E-book reader from Amazon.
    Bought it because my arms are not long enough for comfortable reading and the changable type size on the Kindle remedies that.
    Not every book I want is available for Kindle but the library - including a library of free and out-of-print books is vast.
    As to exactly what I'm reading: Teddy Roosevelt's own account of the Rough Riders.
    Always expect stupidity. You'll rarely be disappointed.

Member #
    Liked
    861 times

Quote Originally Posted by locknload
    Right now, I am reading this thread!
    But seriously, that does sound like a very interesting read.
    Yes, an interesting take from the 'other' side as the glory days turn to non stop retreat.

You watch an excited, enthusiastic boy, full of life, turn into a numbed zombie to which suicide becomes a viable alternative, before he reaches 19.

As for me, and anyone else never in combat, or in combat, but never facing an equal, or an overwhelming enemy, it helps you understand the hesitance to talk about it, and their periods of just staring at the wall.

Reminds me of my father in law who was an Army infantryman who helped take back, I believe, Bataan, in the Philippines, in WWII. He rarely said anything about it, as no one could relate, and he really didn't want to remember the things he saw.
    I can legally defend myself against bad guys, but there is no legal defense against bad guys with badges.
    I do not kill animals, nor do I pay other people to kill them for me.

Member #
    Michigan, the original God's Country!! (Troll, don'cha know)
    Liked
    6 times

Anything by Lee Child, or Jonathon Kellerman. When I find an author I like, I usually read everything I can find by them. Then I go searching for another.

Member #
    Liked
    1685 times

Just finished (In the last 2 weeks) Shadow Flights by Curtis Peebles (about secret flights from WWII till the mid 90's, mostly covering U-2 and SR-71 overflights) and reread Ernie Pyle's War: America's Eyewitness to World War II by James Tobin.

Now I need to find something lighthearted to read, I think some Kinky Friedman is in order!!

Member #
    Liked
    446 times

Just finished Clive Cusslers "Plaugue Ship" last week. Nothing else new in the house. I had a Sept 8 partial knee replacement and was well on the road to recovery I bought 4 new books then but on Nove 4 I fell and broke the same leg I am at my familys mercy to get me new books.

Member #
    Liked
    1803 times

Combining reading with guns: grab a copy of "The Gun", by C. J. Chivers. It's pretty new, and I had to wait list at the SA public library before I got mine. ($16 at Amazon if you want it for a permanent gun library, and I may buy one.)

It's the detailed history of the AK-47. Not only how it came to be, but how it's been adopted as the number one guerilla/terrorist/rebel weapon. If you think about it, it has played a part in the outcome of many an ugly little war.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

I'm on my 3rd book by author James Bradley "The Imperial Cruise" the first being "Flags of our Fathers", and the second "Flyboys- A True Story of Courage". I can barely put it down, extremely good reading. I recommend all 3 books. I am also reading "The Bounty- The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty" another great read for maritime history buffs (terrible habit reading two books at same time). I have my next books lined up "Hirohito and His Times" by Toshiaki Kawahara, and "Just Americans - How Japanese Americans Won a War at Home and Abroad" by Robert Asahina. My father was a WWII combat veteran in the Pacific Theater, fought through New Guinea, and outlying islands, and north into the Philippines, and also was one of first of the occupying forces in Japan after their surrender so anything that has to do with the war in the Pacific has a special interest to me. I did lose an uncle over North Africa shot down by Germans while on a bombing run in a B-26 Marauder.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links