Explosion in Beirut - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Explosion in Beirut

Member #
    Liked
    5075 times
    I find it odd how little information we are getting considering the size of that explosion. Some reports are in regards to a firework warehouse, but I don't buy that one given the size of the explosion. Other reports state that this was a warehouse that stockpiled high explosive material for years. Possible... Given the size of the explosion though, you would think we would be getting more information in regards to the cause.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Member #
    Liked
    36404 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Ape View Post
    I find it odd how little information we are getting considering the size of that explosion. Some reports are in regards to a firework warehouse, but I don't buy that one given the size of the explosion. Other reports state that this was a warehouse that stockpiled high explosive material for years. Possible... Given the size of the explosion though, you would think we would be getting more information in regards to the cause.
    The few reports I've seen say it started in a fireworks warehouse, then spread to another building where they'd stored explosive material (sodium nitrate IIRC) previously seized from a terror group. That was the source of the big explosion. With that kind of widespread destruction, it may be awhile before they really know what happened.
    Zen Ape and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33846 times
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was some kind of military stockpile of something-or-another. We'll hear whatever the government there wants us to hear.
    muddcatt54 likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3396 times
    They say it was a fireworks warehouse that caught fire.

Maloy

An explosion in Lebanon’s capital, Beirut, caused injuries and some damage on Tuesday, as social media footage showed a blast and shockwave that could be seen for miles. At least 70 were killed and more than 3,000 injured.

The source of the explosion was a major fire at a firecracker warehouse, said the state-run National News Agency.
    A “major fire broke out in Amber No. 12 near the wheat silos at the Beirut port, in a bunker warehouse,” according to a translation.
    Firefighting teams were deployed to put out the fires, the report said.
    Following the blast, a red cloud of smoke hung over the city. A number of buildings, namely windows, were destroyed in the explosion.
    “What I felt was that it was an earthquake,” Rania Masri, a local, told CNN. “The apartment shook horizontally and all of a sudden it felt like an explosion and the windows and doors burst open. The glass just broke. So many homes were damaged or destroyed.”
    Lebanon’s health minister, Hamad Hasan, told the BBC that extensive damage and numerous injuries were reported.
    An Associated Press photographer near the port saw people lying injured on the ground, and hospitals called for blood donations, but exact casualties were not immediately known.
    The cause of the blast was not immediately clear. It came at a time when Lebanon is passing through its worst economic and financial crisis in decades.
    Abbas Ibrahim, chief of Lebanese General Security, said it might have been caused by highly explosive material that was confiscated from a ship some time ago and stored at the port. Local television channel LBC said the material was sodium nitrate. Witnesses reported seeing a strange orange-colored cloud like that which appears when toxic nitrogen dioxide gas is released after an explosion involving nitrates.
    The explosion also comes amid rising tensions between Israel and the militant Hezbollah group along Lebanon’s southern border.
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18401 times
    I don't think it was fireworks, but it looks to me like some sort of industrial explosion. The first explosion (the one that wasn't videoed) produced fire and a white cloud. The second explosion (that was videoed) produced a massive shock wave and a dark reddish cloud.
    BigBlue likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    I understood it to be close to 2.7 thousand TONS of ammonium nitrate and other chemicals, confiscated by the government but left there in the warehouse for storage for six+ years. So, call it 5 million pounds of possible explosive material. Yeah, there was a fire, small kaboom, and then KABOOM.

I actually feel bad for the people hurt and killed. That city was once a pretty western-style jewel, and after 20 or more years of constant warfare there had been relative quiet for a time. I'm pretty sure it was an accident (but it's too soon to know).

The first thing came to mind when I saw the video (well after the initial holy cow!), was the Black Tom explosion in 1916. Google it.
    Zen Ape and BigBlue like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3028 times
    It was one hellacious explosion....and I suspect there are many injured/dead folks in nearby buildings that haven't even been found yet. I expect we will see the fatality numbers explode by tomorrow.
    Zen Ape and BigBlue like this.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46697 times
    Having seen ordnance magazines properly constructed and maintained i'm finding it hard to believe that this was some kind of government sanctioned storage facility for high explosives. Reinforced concrete, proper spacing and smaller areas containing this material is called for and is positioned far away from populated areas. I'm leaning toward some militia storing their future weapons and either someone got careless or Mossad learned of the location. We will probably never know.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    23531 times
    I bet it was a squirrel....
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times
    It needed to be hundreds of times bigger.
    Dukakis by a landslide
    I did not have relations with that woman
    If you like your plan..
    [email protected]tion
    What do you know Joe, I forget.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links