Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C

Member #
    Liked
    34641 times

Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C

Well, I've started something I've looked forward to for a long time. I inherited this bike from my Grandfather in the 90s. I rode it for years. Here's what it looked like when it was my only bike.

It spent 2005-2019 in Arizona. My uncle wanted to ride it, but never really did. Said he had trouble getting it running. So it sat in the Arizona sun for years. Here's how it looked when I got it back.

Somehow my uncle ended up with a spare tank and spare seat. That's good. It's been back with me for about a year, and I recently took a deep breath and dove in. I started with the carbs. Yep, it's ugly in them thar gas mixers.

But I'm halfway through the carbs now. The rebuild kits are on their way, so I'm not putting them back together permanently, just enough to keep from losing parts. Here's the bowl shown above after cleaning.

Here's how everything else looks.

On the to-do list:

Strip it to the frame, clean and paint frame.

Rebuild brakes

Clean wheels, replace tires.

Clean engine, polish the side cases (if it's a case that unbolts from the main cases, it gets polished)

Clean and paint the tank(s)

Refresh the electrical system

So who's up for a ride in 2 or 3 weeks? Honestly, if I fire it up this year I'll be pleasantly surprised. But this bike will live again!
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    20032 times
    Memories, Love, Sweat, Blood, and Determination will prevail!
    GhostHorse likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21705 times
    Ah, those Honda CB models! Worthy descendants of the venerable Cubs and Trail 90s of yore. I rode a CB750 Four for years. Prior to that, in the 70s, I took my wife-to-be on several dates on a CB550 Four. Now you have me wishing that my knees would let me ride again.
    GhostHorse and TexasAviator like this.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    882 times
    www.4into1.com is a good online parts house. I've used them for stuff on my 1972 Honda Motosport 250 XL.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Member #
    Liked
    12358 times
    Now there is a project worth doing right. Good luck bringing it back to its original look. FYI I can't see some of the pics.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21705 times
    I forgot to mention that. The only picture I can see is the first one you posted (I think). The rest aren't there.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

cnj
    Member #
    Liked
    549 times
    I have really had a hankering for a V500 Ascot for a number of years. Although I have none at this time, I love old Honda Motorcycles!
    GhostHorse likes this.
    Rossi R98 Plinker 6" barrel
    Taurus G2S Brown/Black
    A few others

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23403 times
    How old are ya again? 1980 was your grandfather's? My grandfathers' bikes would be of 1950s vintage.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    34641 times
    I'm not going back to original. It was brown and different shade of brown originally. Not doing that. Different paint, for the tank and the frame. Sorry about the picture error. I posted, saw that darned double picture thing, and tried to fix it. Here are the rest of the pictures:

15 years of baking:
    Name:  CB650C 0002a.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  296.1 KB

Carburotters:
    Name:  CB650C 0013a.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  214.0 KB

Tidy bowl:
    Name:  CB650C 0015a.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  115.4 KB

How it looks right now:
    Name:  CB650C 0020a.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  245.3 KB

And since I've got room for one more in the 5 pic limit, here's a closer look at the engine. Makes you wonder how many years in the desert it would take for the engine to just disappear. Frosty!
    Name:  CB650C 0022a.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  393.4 KB

A friend suggested soda blasting to clean the engine, especially down in the fins. That got me looking, and being a shooter, I'm thinking walnut media rather than soda. And if were set up for blasting, I could use that system and something more abrasive to clean the paint off of the tank and frame, too.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear; I am open to suggestions! Advice welcome. Should I just leave the ancient oil in the cases for now? Should I use the better looking tank, which was on it when my grandfather had it but has a puttied-over dent, or should I clean up the other one and use that? I was thinking pod filters, but the more I read the more I think the factory system is superior in every way except ease of installation.

This is gonna be fun. Thanks for the link, nevadabob!
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1350 times
    Nice bike congrats.

I am a Democrat that love my guns

A individual can't be a Army
    A individual can't be a Navy.
    A individual can't be a Air Force
    A individual can't be a Coast Guard
    A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links