Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C

Member #
    Liked
    34641 times
    That's really interesting, kschilk! Thanks for posting that!

Have I mentioned yet that I've developed a deep-seated hatred of ethanol-contaminated fuels? Sheesh that stuff turns to rubber cement. Working on the fourth carb now; soaking. I discovered today that the carb rebuild kit I ordered doesn't fit. Searching around the web, the only kit I can find that looks exactly right is from a late 70s CB550k or CB750A. I can't imagine my grandfather swapping the carbs, but I don't know if he got it new. I think he got it used. Maybe a previous owner swapped them. But what I got isn't right.

I've started working on the exhaust. The #1 and #2 cylinders share one paired exhaust, and the #3 and #4 share the other. I took the #1 and #2 pair off yesterday and got a great start cleaning them up. Considering their age, they weren't in bad shape, but there was a bit more rust than I'd have expected.

Name:  CB650C 0043a.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  168.4 KB

Name:  CB650C 0044a.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  235.1 KB

I've had really good results with Nevr Dull in the past. It did a great job with some of the corrosion and gunk, but it didn't really help the worst spots. So I got on the net and tried aluminum foil. That worked really well.

Name:  CB650C 0048a.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  214.2 KB

Name:  CB650C 0046a.jpg
Size:  251.9 KB

Name:  CB650C 0047a.jpg
Size:  256.4 KB

There's a bit more to do on this side, and then on to the other.
    Last edited by GhostHorse; 06-28-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    Jake3501 and loudviking like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1211 times
    The two favorite bikes I ever owned were a 1981 Honda CB900f super sport and a 1985 Honda V65 Magna, both were obscenely fast and reliable as a brick.
    You can't go wrong with a Honda.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14519 times
    This isn’t a highjack. We are just taking care of concerns as they arise.

Quote Originally Posted by loudviking View Post
    Not trying to hijack your thread Ghost, but if William see's this post................
    I am ready for Aug Sturgis, unless you and Chicago are bringing H2 Kawasaki'es I will be waiting for the two
    of you at the next stop.................
    L V

1. As to the flexie flyers, nope! Rode 2 or 3 of those, the flex of the frame effects the geometry of the bike and it was too much work trying to keep up with it.

2. If you are EVER waiting on me, you are backing up.

3. If you can’t see me in your rearview mirror, you’re NOT keeping up!

keep the rubber side down

Plan to see a smaller you soon (objects in the mirror no longer matter)

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34641 times
    Ahem. Yes. Anyway....

I can use the Carb kits. All I really need is the float bowl ring, a couple of the tiny o-rings, and the needle flow valve. This gives you an idea of how well the float bowl ring fits.

Name:  CB650C 0054a.jpg
Size:  170.1 KB

After a bit of study, I can reuse the cap gasket, which is the difficult to find part. You soak them in water for a bit to puff them back up, apply something greasish, and you're good. There's a tiny ridge on the underside of the cap to pinch the gasket. So I found a good plastic cup (used to hold salsa), washed it well, and set the gaskets to soaking.

I went out in the garage for a while to finish cleaning the last carb (another stuck slide - did I mention how I feel about gasoline abominated with ethanol?) and reassemble the others. Came back in, and started to wonder where the soak cup was. Where did I put that darn thing? Search search searcholycrapthecupisintherecyclebin!!! Yep, my dear wife had seen the bowl, not seen the gaskets, and you can write the rest. Hey, I could see myself doing the same thing.

Anyway, the carbs will be done soon. For the record, ethanol gunk can be removed with a combination of brake cleaner and carb dip. Penetrating oil seems to help with ethanol rubber cement in between close fitting parts.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links