Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14500 times
    The Japanese have a penchant for tight tolerances. They have figured out exactly how long a screw needs to be down to 2mm (no reason to use a 25mm screw when a 22mm will do and look how much money we save on 1k of screws). Now, to your pod filter question. The Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) has figured out how the air travels, from the time it enters the air horn ( that part that directs the air into the air filter) all the way through the engine, until it leaves the exhaust pipe. Any changes (or leaks) will affect the overall performance of the engine. Will it run with pods and no other changes, probably. But it may run rich or lean, or both at different rpms or loads. I could continue but hopefully I have conveyed the general idea. More detail will look like a dissertation.
    (my wife calls me anal, I prefer “precise”)

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    35462 times
    That will be a great bike again when you get her finished!

When I was in getting a set of new tires for my Kawi, there was a lightly used CB650R taunting me while I waited. When I get another bike it is at the top of the list.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Excellent! It's so nice to see the Japanese classics being brought back.

I purchased my first motorcycle my senior year in H.S. It was a 1973 Honda CB750 K2. That bike was so stupid fast (at that time), That I had watched my life pass in front of my eyes on multiple occasions. Back then, nobody was used to that kind of power and 10,000 rpm redlines. At that time BSAs, Triumphs, and Nortons were considered fast. BMWs, Moto Guzzis, and Benellis were all considered touring. Harleys... They were mostly chopped, gang bikes, or show bikes. There were very few Full Dressers. That CB750 would eat Big Block Chevys, 440-6 Packs and Hemis, and Cobra Jets for breakfast. They weren't even competition.

I sold the Honda in 1981 and purchased a Yamaha VMax. That bike was even more stupid. By then, so was I. Eventually, after going down on "Max" (big time), I decided that fenders ultimately weren't such a bad idea after all.

Be careful out there, and enjoy that wonderful piece of Japanese Motorcycle history. It was a great looking motorcycle, and will be again.
    Last edited by GreatViews; 06-24-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    GhostHorse and TexasAviator like this.
    Five rounds = 1 Hole

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1445 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Well, I've started something I've looked forward to for a long time. I inherited this bike from my Grandfather in the 90s. I rode it for years. Here's what it looked like when it was my only bike.

It spent 2005-2019 in Arizona. My uncle wanted to ride it, but never really did. Said he had trouble getting it running. So it sat in the Arizona sun for years. Here's how it looked when I got it back.

Somehow my uncle ended up with a spare tank and spare seat. That's good. It's been back with me for about a year, and I recently took a deep breath and dove in. I started with the carbs. Yep, it's ugly in them thar gas mixers.

But I'm halfway through the carbs now. The rebuild kits are on their way, so I'm not putting them back together permanently, just enough to keep from losing parts. Here's the bowl shown above after cleaning.

Here's how everything else looks.

On the to-do list:

Strip it to the frame, clean and paint frame.

Rebuild brakes

Clean wheels, replace tires.

Clean engine, polish the side cases (if it's a case that unbolts from the main cases, it gets polished)

Clean and paint the tank(s)

Refresh the electrical system

So who's up for a ride in 2 or 3 weeks? Honestly, if I fire it up this year I'll be pleasantly surprised. But this bike will live again!
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=honda+...orum&FORM=R5FD
    They made us many promises, more than i can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."
    Red Cloud

Member #
    Liked
    34578 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatViews View Post
    That CB750 would eat Big Block Chevys, 440-6 Packs and Hemis, and Cobra Jets for breakfast. They weren't even competition.
    Reminds me of the time my then FIL and a few friends flew out from the east coast and renter Harleys. This was while this CB650 was my only bike. I met up with them, and we rode a bit with me in the lead. I was taking it easy, because not all of them were very experienced riders and they were all on bikes that weren't theirs. We stopped at a scenic spot to enjoy the sights. Now these are all >1300cc bikes, all essentially brand new, worth 10-15x as much as my CB was at the time. When we took off, I was covered a decent bit before I looked back - say 3/4 of a mile or so. When I looked back, they were specks behind me. I was floored at how slow those bikes were. And again, this is a 636cc single cam bike. I think the spec is 36 horsepower, if memory serves.
    TexasAviator likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Spend a few minutes carefully checking those "com-star" wheels for small stress cracks, especially around the bolts. Enjoy!!
    GhostHorse and loudviking like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    There was nothing around back then that could be shifted @10k rpm. Harley's were pretty much tapped out @6k rpm, besides the fact they were 4 speeds vs. the 5 speed Japanese bikes.

Then came the mighty Z1 900 Kawy... Then the FJ 1100... Then the GSXR... Now? They run 9 second quarters out of the crate, 0-60 in less than 2.5 seconds, top out at over 200 mph, make over 200 hp, and the Ninja uses a factory supercharger.

36 horsepower sounds rather pleasant right now, doesn't it? :>)
    Five rounds = 1 Hole

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1502 times
    Gorgeous bike.. I had an old beaten up Honda 500cc trail bike.. great fun to ride off road. But the first bikes I rode were these (that's the beauty of being a Manxman.. we have the TT..)

Internet images..

Name:  Matchless-G50-Motorcycle.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  876.6 KB

G50 Matchless 500cc. Very loud.. I said VERY LOUD..!!

Name:  AJS.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  179.8 KB

7R AJS 350cc. The first bike I ever fell off.

Sadly, no races this year because of Covid-19.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    746 times
    Once uou get it running again...stay away from ethanol fuel. The older bikes carbs will start to flake (inside)
    And cause new problems. Got to stick with non ethanol gas in the old Honda bikes. Just my .02

Member #
    Liked
    1210 times
    Plus the ethanol will wipe the oil off the bearings if You have even the slightest amount of blow-by and destroy the engine.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links