Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Restoring my Grandfather's motorcycle 1980 CB650C

Member #
    Liked
    1719 times
    Great bike, older Hondas are so cool they are making retro bikes now.
    I have been jonesing for a 1974 Honda CL360 scrambler. I'm probably going to end up with a new Yamaha TW200 because it's "over land"' ability. I can't walk the woods and trails anymore like I want too. I have always liked trailbikes and scooters. I may sell my show bike. 1981 Honda passport C70. I took 1st. Place in unrestored class last year and 4th place a few years ago.
    My dads friend has been a bike guy all his life. Motocross winner in the 1970s. He is 74 and rides his Ducati everywhere he goes weather permeating. Friday week ago he got hit. The Bones broken will heal but the brain bleed has weakened his right side. He is going to a rehab facility tomorrow. I think I'll stay on a trail scooter and off busy roads.
    If I were to get a road bike it would be a 1970-80 cb Honda or Yamaha 450-750.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Member #
    Liked
    881 times
    I tried opening this link oldrice.com but Firefox didn't like it. Previously found that link very interesting.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21692 times
    GH, drain the old oil. This information from the past, but still relevant:

"The engine is open to another form of corrosion, too. When the oil becomes contaminated with soot particles from the combustion process and is heated beyond a certain point, it turns from its normal alkaline state to an acidic state. This acid can attack the metal engine parts and cause corrosion unless neutralized quickly."

If an engine is in a humid environment and condensation is a concern, fill the crankcase with fresh oil. If it's not going to be started for a while, overfilling the crank is okay. Turn the engine by hand a few times to distribute the fresh oil, and you're good.
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 06-23-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20534 times
    Once the carbs are rebuilt change the oil before the first time you try to crank the engine. If the inside of the rusted tank looks like the outside I would probably not want to use it.

Have fun!

Member #
    Liked
    22788 times
    Never had a 650 but rode a CB360 for a few years then tore myself up riding a newly rebuild Yamaha 550 special. That was it for bikes for me. Brother in law had a Kaw 400 that was a rocket. Had a similar acceleration as a CR250 elsinore.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14501 times
    Helpful hint for you if don’t already know.
    Using aerosol carb cleaner, clean ALL of the passages and jets in the carbs, especially those of the primary/idle circuit, which are the smallest and plug up first.
    loudviking and GhostHorse like this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    34578 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Once the carbs are rebuilt change the oil before the first time you try to crank the engine. If the inside of the rusted tank looks like the outside I would probably not want to use it.
    Your comment led me to take a better look inside that tank. Yowch. I'll see if a couple of days soak in vinegar cleans it out, but I sure hope the inside of the original tank looks better! It has had it's cap on, so hopefully it will.

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    Helpful hint for you if don’t already know.
    Using aerosol carb cleaner, clean ALL of the passages and jets in the carbs, especially those of the primary/idle circuit, which are the smallest and plug up first.
    So far I've used the carb dip tank, and q-tips, and copper wire, and brake cleaner. Some WD-40 after the brake cleaner because that stuff is so harsh. I'll give the idle circuit one last look before I reassemble them for good with the new gaskets and o-rings.
    william and darbo like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    35791 times
    For carbs on anything that's been sittin' awhile, I use the regular carb cleaners like Gunk or Permatex (1 gallon can with the dip basket) and let them soak for a few days. I have an assortment of clamshell tea strainers for jets and other small parts. I use torch tip cleaners to rod out the passages and blow 'em out with compressed air, then flush with aerosol carb/throttle body cleaner. As I understand it, you won't be firing it up any time soon and in that case, I'd drop the oil and fill the crankcase with diesel fuel (sans filter). Diesel will lube the parts against corrosion and also breakdown any sedimentary sludge. Even when doing a top-end refresh, I use diesel fuel rather than oil when putting it back together so the rings seat quicker.
    Car_Doc likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    34578 times
    The one gallon can with dip basket is exactly what I'm using. It's Chem-Dip, and the label says it's okay for aluminum, but when I bought it the guy at Auto Zone asked if I was using it for aluminum and said "don't leave it in there a long time." Apparently he'd done a lawnmower carb and the dip damaged the aluminum. So I'm keeping the dip time to a minimum for those parts.

The diesel is a good idea; another friend suggested that.

Anybody have experience/thoughts on pod filters?
    kschilk likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    881 times
    What I did with my 250 carb was to run it through my ultrasonic parts cleaner. Don't know if the more experienced mechanics would recommend this.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links