An Introduction to the British Army.. (simplified version) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: An Introduction to the British Army.. (simplified version)

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3905 times
    Sounds like a government operation to me!
    TexasAviator likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29199 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    So why do you call them leftennants and not lootennants?
    To distinguish them from righttennants?
    ManxTom and DeltaBravoKS like this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    4380 times
    Quite right, lads. Now - off you go!
    ManxTom and jwc007 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29199 times
    The explanation is pretty good, but there's no mention of a "Squaddy" or a "Territorial".
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3905 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    The explanation is pretty good, but there's no mention of a "Squaddy" or a "Territorial".
    I'm guessing a "squaddy" is what you do in the "territorialet"?
    Flash60601 likes this.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1549 times
    A Squaddie is to GB as a Grunt is to USA.

Territorials is reference to what used to be called the Territorial Army, or Reserve Forces. As out Army is born out of county and geographical creations the reserve element became known as Territorial Units.

My former regiment is as follows:

The regiment's earliest forebears were the 4th, or Kings Own Regiment of Foot, formed July 1680 being the fourth regiment of foot in seniority in the British Army.
    The 34th Cumberland and 55th Westmorland Regiments of Foot were formed later in 1705 and 1755, respectively.[2] In 1881 they amalgamated to form the Border Regiment
    The 1 October 1959 amalgamated regiment preserved traditions of the previous three regiments (4th, 34th and 55th). Every 28 October, the regiment would celebrate "Arroyo Day" by parading the French drums and French drum major's mace captured during the Peninsular War in 1811. They had been taken intact in the Battle of Arroyo dos Molinos from the French 34e Régiment de Ligne on 28 October 1811.[3]
    The regiment saw a great deal of service in Northern Ireland during the 'Troubles. I was there on three out of four tours of duty with the regiment. The regiment was twice awarded the Wilkinson Sword of Peace for work in both Derry and Bosnia
    In 2004, as part of the restructuring of the infantry, it was announced that the King's Own Royal Border Regiment would amalgamate with the King's Regiment and Queen's Regiment to form the new Duke of Lancaster's Regiment. The Regiment's final act was to serve in Iraq between 2005 and 2006.[5] The new regiment was formed on 1 July 2006, with the Kings Own Royal Border Regiment forming the 3rd Battalion.

The Border Regiment, which was my 'parent' regiment wore a glider flash on the right shoulder. This was to show their deployment as the first airborne regiment of the British Army at Arnhem during operation Market Garden.
    rodfair and JimmyA like this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29199 times
    Is the NAAFI still up and running?
    ManxTom likes this.
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27345 times
    I have one of these as well Tom. Took me 37 years to get it but was worth the wait!Name:  veterans-badge.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  7.3 KB
    JimmyA, bigC, ManxTom and 4 others like this.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1549 times
    Is the NAAFI still up and running?
    Always... good place to go for an egg 'banjo'..
    rodfair likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    1549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rodfair View Post
    I have one of these as well Tom. Took me 37 years to get it but was worth the wait!Name:  veterans-badge.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  7.3 KB
    So far I've had four...!! They are not made to a very high price point..!! My current one is held together with Gorilla Glue..!! (perhaps they should have used that in the first place, it's lasted the longest.. so far..!!)

Who did you serve with? And if it was Army what was your first four numbers??
    TexasAviator likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links