The stock market has truly gone nuts.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The stock market has truly gone nuts....

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I keep an eye on the market but Fidelity has done a great job of taking care of investing for us. I'm kind of digging this retirement thing too.
    "Beware the calculations of the meek, who gambled nothing, gave nothing, and could never receive enough." - John Ciardi

Member #
    Liked
    23336 times
    Update: The offering has been suspended. Somebody at the SEC woke up and decided to do their job of protecting the public. The SEC informed Hertz "they had a number of questions" that needed answering before they would allow this, and Hertz just decided to drop it. In other words, they read the questions and realized this wasn't going to fly.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    Update: The offering has been suspended. Somebody at the SEC woke up and decided to do their job of protecting the public. The SEC informed Hertz "they had a number of questions" that needed answering before they would allow this, and Hertz just decided to drop it. In other words, they read the questions and realized this wasn't going to fly.
    No highway robbery this week there.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34641 times
    I'm sad. I was going to buy some shares hoping it would mean I'd get the pick of their cars if the bottom dropped out.
    Name:  gth-front-876.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  85.0 KB
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    3877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Hertz may value the amount of stock they are selling at $500 million, but this is the stock of a bankrupt company.
    Its value is based on what the buyers, if any, are willing to pay, similar to the selling of office furniture at a bankruptcy liquidation sale.

On a side note, why didn't Hertz liquidate this stock earlier to keep their business afloat?
    Would have made more sense to do so prior to the bankruptcy filing, IMHO. Now, it's stock is nearly worthless.
    I never really understood the stock market. Seems like a smoke and mirrors routine to me.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    I never really understood the stock market. Seems like a smoke and mirrors routine to me.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ge-history.asp
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    It's not robbery, but it is always caveat emptor. Although they pulled the potential stock (equity offer), if it were allowed the buyers would probably be limited to a class of qualified investors.

Stock from a company that is bankrupt - or in dire straits even without bankruptcy is almost literally a lottery ticket. In a bankruptcy the different classes of debt are paid out first, using all available assets, and if anything is left (which is rarely more than zero) it flows to the equity (stock) holder. I forget the detailed specifics - but it runs top to bottom debt holders, taxes owed if any, worker pay, preferred stock holders, all are in line ahead of the equity. Not a dime in dividends can be paid to preferred stock unless everything owed to the bond holders is paid first. Not a dime in dividends can be paid to common stock holders unless everything owed to preferred stock holders is paid first. You get the idea.

A bankruptcy judge will typically settle who gets what based on law, assets, liabilities, and the specifics of each type of security.

The potential upside of equity investment in such a case would be tremendous gain if, and only if, the company survives and returns to generating a profit. It is a sheer speculation that is almost guaranteed to fail completely if things are so bad they had to declare bankruptcy to keep creditors from immediately taking every cent to be made whole.

Car renting depends on business travel and vacation travel. With the current situation I can't think of a worse disaster for a car rental company. Same for cruise lines, maybe worse for them.

In the long term though, a broad portfolio of stocks of large, well-known good companies bought at reasonable prices really does work. There is always risk, but if you buy what you can afford during grim situations when stock prices are generally depressed, you can make good money and have a growing income outside of work.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links