Well, the primary cop in Minneapolis was arrested and charged. . . - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Well, the primary cop in Minneapolis was arrested and charged. . .

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    Zen Ape, I couldn't have said it better, and I wish I could like your post a thousand times. For all those who read these words - and resort to dehumanizing other people - you've entirely missed the truth that drives understandable rage. Hundreds of years of oppression followed by decades and decades of equality before the law - except some people are more equal than others on a systematic and institutional basis.

For those casting a wide net - the protesters are one set of people - and generally peaceful - but a smaller number of violent troublemakers mix in with them - people who have the same legit grievances to be sure, but troublemakers nevertheless - these are the ones who break the law. Don't make the mistake of lumping everyone together, and I say the same about the police - most are good people in service of the communities they serve, but a few bad apples, protected and set apart from fair judgement for crimes, time and again. The cause of intolerable pain and rage.

For America to survive we need to be one people - and to get there we have to face the bad parts of our history as well as the good, with a clear mind and a human heart.
    Last edited by unclenunzie; 05-30-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    Zen Ape, Nick1946 and Ralph_Kirk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4835 times
    Wish there were more like you around here Uncle. Far better than listening to Calvin Candy explain to me the science of phrenology. I'll take solace in knowing my words don't just completely fall on deaf ears.
    Nick1946 likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    I appreciate all sides of the debate, because the truth falls somewhere in the middle. Have to admit, I love the Django reference, but like a great philosopher once cried out, "can't we all just get along"...

By the way, the "D" is silent.
    Zen Ape likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by right2arms View Post
    .. but like a great philosopher once cried out, "can't we all just get along"...
    Tell that to the rioters when burn your barbershop as they 'air their grievances' in their 'search for justice.'
    Last edited by chefduane; 05-31-2020 at 01:14 AM.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8012 times
    I don't believe the criminal element that is manipulating the protests toward violence represents all protesters.

I don't believe criminals of any particular ethnicity represent all the members of their ethnicity.

I don't believe LEOs who use their authority and power to target minorities represent all law enforcement.

I do believe that we are getting entangled in a dance choreographed by people who do not have the nation's best interests in their hearts.

Financing has flowed to prompt and support agitation. Organization has been developed and set in motion to manipulate both the protests and the responses.

There have been reports from cities where protests are happening of scouts on bikes fanning out to probe law enforcement weaknesses and coordinate crowd movements to exploit those gaps. Of people moving through the crowds behind the crush at the front, urging people forward, inciting them to action, then fading back.

The media has 'embedded' reporters in the protests who move along with the surge, lending a first-person feel to the coverage (occasionally the camera operator gets a little sloppy and the reporter's bodyguards come into view). Concurrent with the on-scene reporter's hyperventilation and dedicated efforts to catch a violence flashpoint on camera, the studio commentator overlays anti-administration spin.

Just as the media has found it a better fit for their narrative to connect COVID-19 deaths with an liberal-contrived failure on the administration's part rather than with the country that put the world at risk, they find it a better ideological fit to try to connect any violence with Trump, rather than with the city/county-level policy failures that have brought the issues to the fore.

It's a tragedy that Floyd died, that an LEO apparently behaved indifferently to his suffering, and that other LEOs stood by to let it happen. It's a shame that it takes a man's death to highlight the recruitment, policy, and training failures that put a man in a position to use his authority and power to inflict suffering on someone else. It's reckless for politicians and the media to be so focused on their agenda that they are willing to condone and incite violence for no apparent purpose than to try to politically wound their opponent, even at the expense of the nation.

And it's disappointing that the elements who want to divide and destroy our nation are able to find and manipulate willing foot-soldiers on both sides of the issue.

Re the Boston Massacre analogy. A few things to consider:

The events that led up to the massacre included long-standing enmity and an 'us-versus-them' mentality between the townspeople and the British soldiers. Any parallel with current minority groups and law enforcement there?

A few days before the massacre, a loyalist customs officer tried to break up a patriot mob and accidentally killed an 11-year old boy, enraging many in Boston. Any parallel to be found between 1770 and now there?

The protesters were not all peaceful. In fact some were throwing ice chunks and wielding barrel staves. Anything like that going on now?

The Sons of Liberty were active in Boston at the time, and there is some evidence to indicate members of the group (including Paul Revere and Sam Adams) were busy in the crowd, inciting and urging them forward, (any parallels with current events there?) because . . .

The riot took place in front of the Customs House, which is where the king's treasury in Boston was located. Again, there is evidence to suggest that patriots hoped the violence would provide an opening to raid the treasury.

And of course, the aftermath, in which the deaths of colonists were manipulated for propaganda value to support the patriot cause. Any parallel between that and the media trying to twist everything to fit their narrative?

And of course, the follow-on. Where did the colonies go from the Boston Massacre, and where do we go from here?

I don't care what percentage of African Americans can be connected to criminal activity, or what the rationale for their crimes are, whether genetic, social, oppression, lunar, familial -- I don't care. I believe Floyd didn't have to die. He might have had other things going on that contributed to his death such as heart disease or intoxicants, but he seemed to be walking around just fine before someone laid on his back and knelt on his neck.

I came very close to dying from compression suffocation once, I won't forget the feeling of trying desperately to draw a breath, seeing my vision browning out around the edges and closing down to a pinpoint, and being completely helpless to do anything but watch it happen. So maybe I'm a little sensitive to this situation. But I do know that we all need to step back from the edge that we're being pushed toward.

ETA: Violence on the part of the protesters might create a feeling of 'getting the message across', but it has gotten to the point where further violence likely won't do much more than cede the moral high ground and entrench the opponents. The message will be lost in the mayhem.
    Last edited by 230JHP; 05-31-2020 at 04:59 AM.
    Ralph_Kirk and Car_Doc like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

"The greater part of mankind . . . walk blindfolded in this glorious theater." John Calvin

We will continue to make our republic the inspiration, the glory, and the envy of the rest of the world. As long as we are confident in our values, loyal to our citizens, and faithful to our God, there is no limit to what we can achieve. ​President Donald J. Trump, Feb 29, 2020.

Member #
    Liked
    3860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctordeere View Post
    Turn off the cameras & send the reporters home. Without wall-to-wall attention, 90% of 'em will lose interest.
    Cell phone shots on social media will fill that void instantly. Most people under 60 aren't getting their news from only the standard news media outlets.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    2661 times
    Generalizations are usually wrong. Look closely at various photos of the rioters. Many are white, although they are wearing masks. Many are out of towners or out of staters. I believe this is a coordinated effort to further the coup that began in late 2015. Antifa and other Soros groups, likely funded by organizations like the Tides foundation, are coordinating on Twitter.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Good posts, a good understanding of the situation. All of us here have a valued perspective and add pieces to the puzzle that helps clarify the picture. Sometimes we just need to stand back and try to look at a macro view and and see that there are a lot of ingredients that made this melting pot what it is.

Member #
    Liked
    7192 times
    My son told me our city of Lincoln has a curfew this evening, starting at 8pm, because there was a violent protest downtown last night. Omaha has one, too.

There are people and elements who benefit from mass hysteria, so they promote it as the default "go to" position when there's a crisis. Why? Because people are more easily directed/inspired/controlled when they're in an emotional state than when they're in a thoughtful, reflective state. It's a psychological slight of hand, as well; when one tenth of one percent of the population riot about something, they're creating theatrics that give the illusion that the whole world is of one mind about some inflammatory issue, when the percentages of protest involvement would suggest otherwise. No, this crisis is definitely not going to waste.

The worse thing about the mob mentality is that it eventually migrates to people in positions of importance who should be immune to it. The mayor of Minneapolis claimed that George Lloyd's death was a "death sentence" carried out by police because of the victim/perp's race. This is BEFORE the medical examiner's report was released. The Governor of MN said that white supremacists were causing the riots. Do those sound like thoughtful reflective ideas that reflect reality? The medical examiner's report said that Mr. Lloyd didn't die of strangulation or traumatic asphyxia, but the cop was charged with murder a few hours later, anyway. It seems to me that's the prosecutor's office ignoring some pretty significant information in the report, for what reason I can't say.

The cop obviously did things wrong, but committing murder is not likely one of them. Nevertheless, the intent is to try the case in the court of public opinion FIRST, so that when the actual judicial proceedings conclude - with evidence, science, reason and testimony - they can be mentally and morally nullified by people who don't agree with them. And what will happen then? Likely, more riots.

Member #
    Liked
    4371 times
    That cop was a violent, unbalanced individual. After years in law enforcement, the time-bomb finally exploded. He murdered a citizen. Period.

I believe in civil rights. We all should expect to have certain rights as citizens of this great republic. No question about it.

Anyone who decides to directly infringe on my civil rights will be met with resistance.
    Car_Doc and unclenunzie like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links