Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Gas purchase

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47651 times

Gas purchase

Stopped for gas in Fort Pierce, FL yesterday, my Low fuel light was not on, however I suspect it would be coming on shortly. My fuel range meter read I had 45 miles until empty. Gas pump was kind of slow, but whatever I needed to stretch anyways. When the pump finally clicked off I was surprised to see that it read 16.432 gallons. Dang I did not even top the tank off this time.

I got thinking, that was a lot of gas for my car. Now I have run my tank pretty low in the past some times to the point where the low fuel light has been on for a while and the fuel range meter has read 1 mile until empty. Looked back through my fuel logs from since I owned the car and I have only put in more than 16 gallons 1 time. The most I ever put in was 16.025 gallons, and that was around the first of the month and I remember thinking I was going to run out of gas as the fuel range meter read 15 miles to empty when I left the Everglades and I had a good 20 miles to the nearest gas station. Fuel range meter read 1 mile to go for the last 3 miles before I made it to the station. I know that is the lowest I have ever been. How could I possibly put 0.407 gallons more in this time around when I still had over a gallon left in my tank based on the the low fuel light not being on and the range meter of 45 miles?

I filed a complaint to the Department of Agriculture today asking them to investigate the pump for accuracy. Will be interesting to see if they get back with me regarding this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    749 times
    It could be that your fuel sending unit is not as accurate as it was when the car was newer. Just my .02.

Member #
    Liked
    381 times
    Be aware that if the fuel pump is in the fuel tank you could be killing it by running your fuel so low.
    On the newer cars with the fuel pump in the tank the fuel cools the pump and too little fuel will not cool it enough.
    Also temperature can affect the amount of fuel your tank will hold.
    Shut up and reload!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4189 times
    I've had similar experiences. I thought for sure I had a 20 gallon tank in my truck, but I put in 21 gallons one day.

The millage calculators are a good suggestion, but I wouldn't count on it either way.
    william likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4189 times
    I also had a Honda run out of gas on me, as I coasted to the side of the road, the low fuel light came on.

Member #
    Liked
    4381 times
    Fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Your variation isn't huge ...

Member #
    Liked
    35820 times
    Tex is our resident authority on fuel gauges, all pertinent questions should prob'ly be directed to him. As DWARREN stated, it's bad juju to run a tank low. Personally, I recommend letting it get no lower than 1/4 tank. However, it should be noted that a fuel pump never fails on an empty tank. Most that I've replaced, died at the gas station immediately after being topped-off......it's a Murphy thing.
    william likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    Another thing to think about here is that the pump nozzle is what decides when a pump shuts off, not the amount of fuel in the tank. Not all nozzles are created equally, and most modern nozzles are quite conservative so as not to create a spill. And the amount a tank is rated for isn't absolute. Obviously it can only hold so much, but what I'm saying is a 20 gallon tank might actually be 20.7 gallons. Also, the fuel line from the filler to the tank can hold another gallon as well. A modern nozzle that is functioning correctly is meant to keep that fuel line empty, where as one that's not may allow you to fill it to the brim. You've probably seen signs at gas stations saying not to top off as it may cause a spill. This isn't because that fuel line is filled, it's because it's meant to stay clear and topping off (filling that line) may inadvertently cause a spill.

Really not trying to say what you experienced was normal, just pointing out that there's a lot of variables that could contribute to the amounts you saw, and they aren't necessarily incorrect.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    PT22, 85 Poly, 865, 605, M44.... what's next?!

Member #
    Liked
    6952 times
    I'm surprised that it was so important to you if you had to file a complaint with the state and asked that the stations pump be calibrated.

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    1750 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Stopped for gas in Fort Pierce, FL yesterday, my Low fuel light was not on, however I suspect it would be coming on shortly. My fuel range meter read I had 45 miles until empty. Gas pump was kind of slow, but whatever I needed to stretch anyways. When the pump finally clicked off I was surprised to see that it read 16.432 gallons. Dang I did not even top the tank off this time.

I got thinking, that was a lot of gas for my car. Now I have run my tank pretty low in the past some times to the point where the low fuel light has been on for a while and the fuel range meter has read 1 mile until empty. Looked back through my fuel logs from since I owned the car and I have only put in more than 16 gallons 1 time. The most I ever put in was 16.025 gallons, and that was around the first of the month and I remember thinking I was going to run out of gas as the fuel range meter read 15 miles to empty when I left the Everglades and I had a good 20 miles to the nearest gas station. Fuel range meter read 1 mile to go for the last 3 miles before I made it to the station. I know that is the lowest I have ever been. How could I possibly put 0.407 gallons more in this time around when I still had over a gallon left in my tank based on the the low fuel light not being on and the range meter of 45 miles?

I filed a complaint to the Department of Agriculture today asking them to investigate the pump for accuracy. Will be interesting to see if they get back with me regarding this.
    All depends on the way the burisma blows
    around Fort Pierce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links